Author Topic: Features list  (Read 6673 times)

iancol

Features list
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Hi all, I couldn't find a search function, so please bear with me if this question's been answered already.  I have a few niggles with Firefox and have been advised by Mozilla forum members that Norton may be the problem.  It was suggested that a move to Avast would resolve the issues.

The feature of Norton that I like a lot is the Identity Safe function, which securely stores all my user names and passwords and offers them when I call up the respective websites (after I've logged on to IS at session start).  I've looked at the spec. for Avast but can't find a comparable feature.  Is there one?

Thanks,

Ian

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Features list
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
The Search button should be at the top center of the Forum page.

In http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2262083 you are mentioning Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar not showing bookmarks intermittently, and the fact that Norton Toolbar is not yet compatible with Firefox 5.

Avast Free doesn't have anything like Identity Safe.  Check out http://www.avast.com/internet-security for it's features, and compare it to Avast Pro at http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab4.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

iancol

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Hi John,

The problem does concern the Bookmarks toolbar in FF, which sometimes doesn't load up with the actual bookmark tabs, even though the bar itself is there.  I noted that I was considering a switch to Google Chrome, but I'm still waiting for Norton to make Identity Safe work on there.

It's only a small glitch and well offset by the benefits of Identity Safe.  I have over ninety logons and Identity safe is very useful in offering up the appropriate username/password when I need it.

On that basis, I may have to stick with Norton until there's an equivalent facility elsewhere.

Thanks, meanwhile,

Ian

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »
With 90 logins, I can understand the inertia. :o

I guess I'm offtopic in this forum, but I'd try uninstalling the Norton Toolbar, even though it's disabled in Firefox.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
You can use KeePass password manager http://www.filehippo.com/download_keepass/ now theres no need for any bloated norton  :)

iancol

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
Hi again,

That sounds very interesting.  I'll check it out.

Thanks again,

Ian

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
Actually i just realised that filehippo is still showing 1.20 as the latest, if you go to here http://keepass.info/  you can get the latest which is 2.16, you can also get there by clicking the keypass link at filehippo.

iancol

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Thanks again.  I've looked at the keepass site and will check it out this evening.  I'm hoping there's a migration option, but could live with manual input if I have to.

Ian

LunarWolf

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »
I recommend Lastpass over Keespass. It is a desktop and cloud based password. That means,if you install lastpass on your desktop and you go to university, you still can access your passwords if there is an internet connection. What they store on their servers are encrypted. Hence, even their employees cannot access your password.

The best thing is Lastpass takes their security very seriously. Earlier this year, they detected some abnormal internet traffic on their servers, they shutdown lastpass and force everyone to change their master password.

https://lastpass.com/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
Thats the problem with cloud based stuff, if servers go down or not in internet range your buggered, at least keepass is portable so you've always got access no matter what and like any password manager they also take security very seriously  ;)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
Hi all, I couldn't find a search function, so please bear with me if this question's been answered already.  I have a few niggles with Firefox and have been advised by Mozilla forum members that Norton may be the problem.  It was suggested that a move to Avast would resolve the issues....

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian
Without wishing to quench your enthusiasm for avast!, I don't think it will help with the FF Bookmarks issue. I've already reverted a machines running 'avast! Internet Security' back to FF3 due to repeatedly "disappearing" Bookmarks.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Hi all, I couldn't find a search function, so please bear with me if this question's been answered already.  I have a few niggles with Firefox and have been advised by Mozilla forum members that Norton may be the problem.  It was suggested that a move to Avast would resolve the issues....

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian
Without wishing to quench your enthusiasm for avast!, I don't think it will help with the FF Bookmarks issue. I've already reverted a machines running 'avast! Internet Security' back to FF3 due to repeatedly "disappearing" Bookmarks.
Vladimyr if you read reply 2 you'll notice that iancol is not concerned or asking about FF bookmarks, he is asking about identity safe password storage and if avast has this feature.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:45:35 AM by craigb »

LunarWolf

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
Thats the problem with cloud based stuff, if servers go down or not in internet range your buggered, at least keepass is portable so you've always got access no matter what and like any password manager they also take security very seriously  ;)

Actually, even if Lastpass server is down, you still can access your passwords as it stores your password on your computer too in encrypted form.

iancol

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o   I'm really sorry I started this thread.  I've just downloaded Keepass and looked at its implementation.  No thanks!  With Norton Identity Safe (NIS), all I have to do, if logged on to NIS, is fill in a username and password once and it'll prompt me to store it.  Next time I use that site (and assuming I've signed into NIS, if I haven't, it offers the NIS sign-on screen), it prompts me with the saved username and password.  I've been using Norton for years and never had an identity or security issue, so I think I'll keep it simple and stay with what I know.

Sorry to have troubled you,

Ian

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »
Thats alright, we can only offer suggestions  :)