Author Topic: BP Licensing  (Read 5078 times)

Laneg004

BP Licensing
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm in the middle of a licensing nightmare and wanted to see if anyone could clarify things. A few weeks ago we renewed our existing 4.8 licensing. At the time, our reseller informed us that Avast 6 BP would be coming out soon and that we would be good to go since Avast was going to discontinue Avast 4.8 and migrate everyone and their licenses to BP6.

Now that 6 is out, we have installed it and found that our 4.8 licenses are not valid. I contacted our reseller who informed he that unfortunately Avast changed their plan at the last minute and has decided to keep 4.8 for another year and make people pay an upgrade fee to convert 4.8 licensing to Avast 6 licensing. He went on to explain that if we had chosen to upgrade to 6 instead of just renewing 4.8 then the cost would have been roughly the same and we'd have 6.0 licensing now.

Further, Avast is refusing to refund anything we already bought so that we can buy 6.0 licensing instead. The only 2 paths being made available to us are:

A) We can pay an upgrade fee to convert our 4.8 licenses to BP6 licenses. The fee we will pay is roughly the same as what we already paid to extend out 4.8 for 3 years. And so we're being asked to pay double what anyone else would pay in order to upgrade to BP6. We could have bought BP6 licensing for roughly the same price we already spent on 4.8 licensing had we opted to renew and upgrade at the same time.

B) We can uninstall BP6 and reinstall ADNM4. We will be forced to continue to use the outdated 4.8 product for the next 3 years if we want to get our money's worth out of it and THEN we can pay renew again and change over to BP6.

Can anyone shed some light on how all this licensing upgrade works? I'm getting everything third hand from my reseller and I think he's as confused as I am.  We asked Avast to just cancel the entire order and let us start over by buying 3 years of BP6 instead or 4.8. They refused to do this. When asked why they just said because the sale is final! Apparently they want to keep us on the 4.8 product for another 3 years rather than having us move to their latest and 'greatest'.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:27:16 PM by Laneg004 »

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
Re: BP Licensing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
Do you had managed version of avast 4.8 (ADNM)?
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

Offline rkniffin

• Avast Reseller
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »
For avast! Pro 4.8, it is a free upgrade to Business Protection 6. If you want to upgrade to Business Protection Plus from Pro 4.8, then there is a 50% discount on the purchase.

Laneg004

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »
Yes, we are licensed for ADNM 4.8 through August 2014.

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
You should get free update to Business Protection. Check your license file if is working with ABP.
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »
Yes, we are licensed for ADNM 4.8 through August 2014.

you can ask your reseller to resend the license file, you will have the new license that can run on SBC.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
Technically - yes, you need new license as the 6.0 BP and 4.8 ADNM license are not interchangable.

However your reseller should provide you the new license on request...
Quality is also a feature.