Author Topic: Locked out of advanced settings by password!  (Read 3704 times)

pascal42

Locked out of advanced settings by password!
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Hello support team

Avast 6.0.1125
Win7 Pro x86

I have been locked out of my advanced settings because of the advanced password protection. I did not set a password and believe this to be a bug. I read in this forum and others that I am not alone. Others have suggested that I uninstall and reinstall Avast but without a password this is not possible. I have also tried using the special uninstall tool recommended, again without a password I am unable use this.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers

Pascal

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Locked out of advanced settings by password!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
A password hasn't been required in the past, even if one were set, to uninstall using add remove programs, etc.

The uninstall utility should be run from safe mode, avast doesn't run in safe mode.

Are you trying to uninstall from a limited user account ?
That I believe would fail, so you would need to either run it as the administrator or the account that you used to install it.

I haven't heard of this 'advanced' settings password protection either as the password feature is basically designed to stop the avast settings being changed. Can you post an image of this 'advanced' settings password blocking window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ppalmieri

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:11 AM »
Hi, I also am having a password issue. I have tried to uninstall (via add/remove programs), but when I do that, I get prompted to enter the avast password  that I don't have. Is there some other way to uninstall avast so I can re-install it? Thanks.

DarkMasters

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
Either you or someone else using your computer messing with Avast password settings. Avast password wouldn't set unless it's set by someone.

DavidR is right. Uninstalling Avast from Administrator privileged account should take care the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
Hi, I also am having a password issue. I have tried to uninstall (via add/remove programs), but when I do that, I get prompted to enter the avast password  that I don't have. Is there some other way to uninstall avast so I can re-install it? Thanks.

Try not entering a password as by default none is set, does anyone else have access to your system ?

As Mentioned try uninstalling from the Administrator account and generally you would have to be in safe mode to run as The Administrator.

From safe mod avast doesn't run, so hopefully you should be able to uninstall from there, if not you can use the avast Uninstall Utility.
- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x). Run this from safe mode if you can't install normally or in safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security