Author Topic: Need to TURN OFF Avast.setup. It is staying in task mgr and Dragging my computer  (Read 16067 times)

allenergy

I am trying to work and everything is slow.. acting as if there is a virus. Yes there is - it is called Avast!

I  need to get this off.. now... I will turn it off in Services if there is no other way.  I am NOT receiving updates at this time and haven't been for the past hour.

Avast has GOT  TO appreciate that it is a SERVICE on a computer that needs to operate with full functionality - Avast does not RUN the computer ... it SERVES the computer.

How do I stop Avast.setup

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Which OS..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

I'm not sure what exactly you want to stop.

Try right click on the Avast tray icon -> Avast shields control and disable for 10 minutes. If that helps you work normally, then we could try to find what exact part of Avast is giving you problems.

Also, please give more info. OS? SP? x32 x64? Other security tools you have currently or had in the past?

allenergy

I see NO way to turn these off.. this is not listed separately in Services.

XP Professional, SP 3.  Computer is only 2-3 years old, I had Vista stripped out and had my brother (who builds computers) replace with XP Pro .  Windows 7 was TOO big an OS and took up too much space, I chose the smaller XP

Thanks for your help!

allenergy

In my task mgr there is something showing up as avast.setup.

THIS is what I want off.. I do not have ANY TIME to play troubleshooting with you today - I am working, have customers to reply to and event at 11pm Eastern tonight AFTER a conference call starting at 7:30pm . It is 6:46 pm.

Just tell me how to disable avast.setup.

It is a LONGSTANDING issue. -- Google avast.setup or what is avast.setup..  It has caused issues for people since 2008 that I saw.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Ok.
Which avast..?
Which version..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

Ok.
Which avast..?
Which version..?

XP Professional, SP 3

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Ok.
Which avast..?
Which version..?

XP Professional, SP 3

How should this help..??
That's not what I asked for.

ady4um

That's not what I asked for.
Does it really matter? I'm not "questioning" you. I'm just asking. The user wants to get rid of "avast.setup" in the task manager of Windows XP SP3, "no matter what" (in the sense that the user doesn't want to really solve the current problem right now, and doesn't want to "know" about Avast version/edition or what not).

Again, I'm not arguing, just asking (after you or anyone else could help the user with the problem).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
...after you or anyone else could help the user with the problem...

Sure, that's what I'm trying to do here. ;)
Still, I need some feedback...

allenergy

Asyn I AM WORKING.. i don't sit here in the forum and WAIT for replies.  Please have some patience.

I do appreciate your help, but realize that I cannot answer you instantly. Now to get this computer to speed up, I will have to REBOOT in the middle of critical work and then prepare for my conference calls and event tonight. (international so it's LATE for me .. 11 pm but I work overnight often) ... I will not be on this forum answering you instantly.  I need to be off  - Please see what you can find out about this avast.setup that is running and how to disable it.  I will check in when I can.

I have informed the board I cannot sit on here and play back and forth on this today .. I just need the best answers that you can find about this running process and how to disable it. I am certain it is extraneous since it is not normally there (as far as I know)

My Avast is 6.0.1125 - the one before this last  bug filled upgrade. I am not upgrading tho the most recent upgrade UNTIL all bugs are worked through. . I need my computer and internet to work SEAMLESSLY.

Program updates set to manual
Definition updates set to automatic

Thanks in advance for your help.

allenergy

Asyn, you and the other responder asked questions at the same time, I answered his about my OS . yours was not showing at that point.  Sorry..  Then I had to go do work.

I have to close browser now and reboot, I would really love to know how to disable avast.setup.  I do not have the dashboard open, just the icon in taskbar.

I have disabled:   behavior shield, im shield, p2p shield (i  never need the last 2) and mail shield (my email provider has adequate protection).

My PRIOR antivirus was Symantec Professional 10 - (given to me free by my computer building brother)  I didn't want that, but that's what he had to install when he put the XP into this computer.

I have completely removed it, including MANUALLY searching the registry for any references to it and left over strings.  Took me over a month to complete fully.  It is GONE.  There have been no other AVs on this machine.

Thank you  in advance for your help - I appreciate it!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Do you use: Free, Pro or IS..??

allenergy

I have just shut down and let the machine be off for 5 minutes, then did a boot up.  The avast.setup is NOT in the task manager any more.

It should NEVER HAVE BEEN - i was not setting up anything and did not even have Avast! dashboard open.  It is a GLITCH, a problem that needs to be addressed by Avast.  There were no actions that should have caused "setup" to run and to do so without allowing a stop.

Apparently this avast.setup has been a bug for years.  It's time it got addressed and resolved since when it for no apparent reasons decides to activate, it eats up a LOT of CPU and memory.

I currently have the normal
AvastSvc.exe
AfwServ.exe
AvastUI.exe

Running in task manager and things seem to be running much smoother and more fluidly and faster.

This is Avast Internet Security Suite -- full pro edition - paid.  Not the free version of Avast AV.

Thanks again for any insights.  

***Maybe someone can report this issue (again, as I'm sure it's been reported many times since 08) to Avast!  ***
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:41:28 AM by allenergy »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
So you're on 6.0.1125 now..??
Or on 6.0.1203..??

In: Settings - Troubleshooting: set avast! to "start after other..."