ASUS
Fujitsu
Lenovo
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
NO ONE!!
Others

Author Topic: Laptops/Desktops  (Read 16075 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Laptops/Desktops
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »
I currently have two Dell desktops (office and home), and a Dell laptop. So, I guess my vote would be for either Dell or HP. I like HP computers, and I've owned a couple over the years (and only HP printers). However, today, I wouldn't have any problems owning any of the major brands - pretty much the same components inside, just different names on the boxes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:36:56 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
Ever since "outgrowing" my C64 eons ago, I've always bought my desktop systems and major peripherals (e.g., monitors) from a local OEM who's been in business here (and now has some out-of-town branches too) for something like 25 years now.  They have an excellent reputation for service, with the result that even minor shop-work will typically sit a week before they can look at it, due to high demand.  So I'm not too concerned with "brand names".  For peripherals and components like drives, they prefer to stick with (but do offer choices) LG.

And they're probably unique in having no minimum charge for service ... while their hourly rates are fairly typical (say around $70/hour), if a job only takes them 5 minutes then they charge for 1/12 hour.  :o
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
I like HP, especially for a laptop. They build solid dependable machines. ASUS and Lenovo are also very good, Dell is not as good as they once were from all reports I've read.

If you want a good , powerful desktop, check out IBuyPower. They build to your specs with all top of the line components and frequently for less than you buy the components separately. Walmart now has a custom build program with IBuyPower and the machine is shipped to your local WM for free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
<snip>
If you want a good , powerful desktop, check out IBuyPower. They build to your specs with all top of the line components and frequently for less than you buy the components separately. Walmart now has a custom build program with IBuyPower and the machine is shipped to your local WM for free.

If you live in the US. ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
Dell is not as good as they once were from all reports I've read.
I didn't make my statement based on what I've read only from what I'm using.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:43:19 AM »
As you can see from my signature, yesterday I bought a new laptop at Staples. I had been looking for a new computer and the deal they had on this one was just too good to pass up. The IbuyPower beast of a desktop I was considering would have cost me $950 before tax for the whole deal. This laptop has one of the new AMD Fusion Quads with the graphics chip built into the same die and it's just amazing. My old one was giving me an average of 20 frames per second on the lowest settings in World of Warcraft but this one is averaging 75-80 fps with much higher settings. Besides what is in my signature, it also has a 640gb HDD and a BluRay player DVD burner combo Optical drive. The price after a $50 rebate is $599 plus tax. I'm a very happy camper tonight. The complete model number is DV6-6140us.

To make this more relevant to the Avast! forums and community I'll add this somewhat amusing tidbit. While checking out, the manager of the store tried to sell me Norton 360 by telling me the machine did not come with any kind of antivirus protection. I already knew that it did come with a 60 day subscription to Norton Internet Security so I turned down his offer. I then added that I was planning on using the free Avast. He told me that "the problem with that is they are always like 3 weeks behind in detection updates". So I mentally put him in the idiot bin and told him I just wanted the machine and nothing else.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:47:58 AM by Dch48 »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
As you can see from my signature, yesterday I bought a new laptop at Staples. I had been looking for a new computer and the deal they had on this one was just too good to pass up. The IbuyPower beast of a desktop I was considering would have cost me $950 before tax for the whole deal. This laptop has one of the new AMD Fusion Quads with the graphics chip built into the same die and it's just amazing. My old one was giving me an average of 20 frames per second on the lowest settings in World of Warcraft but this one is averaging 75-80 fps with much higher settings. Besides what is in my signature, it also has a 640gb HDD and a BluRay player DVD burner combo Optical drive. The price after a $50 rebate is $599 plus tax. I'm a very happy camper tonight. The complete model number is DV6-6140us.

To make this more relevant to the Avast! forums and community I'll add this somewhat amusing tidbit. While checking out, the manager of the store tried to sell me Norton 360 by telling me the machine did not come with any kind of antivirus protection. I already knew that it did come with a 60 day subscription to Norton Internet Security so I turned down his offer. I then added that I was planning on using the free Avast. He told me that "the problem with that is they are always like 3 weeks behind in detection updates". So I mentally put him in the idiot bin and told him I just wanted the machine and nothing else.  ;D

Hmm...pretty cool deal...although I wish i knew more about AMD Fusion Quads when they are compared with Intel i series...I guess I will google it out.

I would have asked him from where did he get this notion that Avast is 3 weeks behind :D

Yup, a lot of new PCs are coming with a load of crap...uninstalling those takes your time.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
Use this site for your comparisons Chris i find it very usefull even though i couldnt find Dch48's exact cpu, had to go a couple of versions higher to get something equivalent to the base second generation i7 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=287
Closest comparison i can find http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/399?vs=143
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:42:35 AM by craigb »

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
All the reports I read said that the new Fusion quads, while in other types of applications are beaten by the new Sandy Bridge Intels, in gaming blow away the Intel mobile offerings (including the i7) if only the built in graphics are used. The HD6220G is far superior to the Intel HD Graphics 3000 that is integrated into the Intel chips. The 6220G is equal in performance to the discrete HD5570 card and offers the first true discrete class integrated graphics solution.

You should easily be able to find the A8-3500M processor in a Google search because I did when I was looking for reviews.

I just finished encoding an Xvid video to a DVD using DVD Flick and it did the 1:53:00 video in just over an hour. My old laptop would have taken about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the same thing. I also did not have to install any codecs because the processor also has built in decoding of most of the popular formats. Xvid and Divx videos, as well as H264 ones play in Windows Media Player without the installation of any additional codecs.

Craig, the link you posted for the comparison is comparing the new desktop Fusion quad to the desktop i7 and while the AMD is still impressive in gaming, it's not the right comparison to choose. My processor needs to be compared with mobile i5's and i7's. Here are some links.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-3500M-Notebook-Processor.55755.0.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3500M.html
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6155&p=2
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:21:51 PM by Dch48 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »
Personally I use a Mac, for Business we use Dell. Their support can not be beaten, especially the Optiplex/Latitude business class computers. If you have a hardware failure just run their diagnostic and write down the code, call the support line and they overnight you the part(s). Even their consumer support is ok, but they do make you go through useless troubleshooting over the phone before they will send the part even if you have the Diagnostic Failure code.

Also if buying a dell, I highly recommend getting their CompleteCare Accidental coverage. If they can't repair it they give you a new one even if its your fault :)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
Business computers here are mostly HP or Dell.
I had both. Dell allows more customization than HP, so, it was always preferred by me.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the information.

Here there is  consumer support but they are very bad and quite insulting.  And, Dell Inspirion laptops have complaints here mostly with their webcams. Actually Dells have the most complaints but people buy Dells more. I guess their offers are very interesting for first time buyers.

People here don't usually try to repair PCs or laptops. They just buy and throw it away and buy another one. So, these guarantees and all are totally useless for the majority.

And, I personally don't trust Lenovo. I think its a security risk so does the U.S government. Here is an old article

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Lenovo_chief_rejects_US_security_risks_fears.html

krash

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
I've had a Tashiba laptop since 2005, and it spent many years on the dash of my van for mapping and sending emails at stop lights :o)
I retired it this spring for an Acer Aspire one netbook (smaller) but it's back in use, as the Acer is dead (mallware) and I have yet to be able to fix it.

DarkMasters

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
I'm currently using Dell. However, from past experience I can say that Dell, Toshiba, or Sony is a good and reliable notebook maker.

For desktop, I'd rather trust no one and build my own machine. One from many reason to do that would be : Because of the PSU.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »
Don't you get a Free Fire Extinguisher with every Sony ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security