Author Topic: Skin on version 4.5.498  (Read 5310 times)

Starfighter

Skin on version 4.5.498
« on: October 28, 2004, 05:36:28 PM »
Using version 4.5.498:

Great job with fitting the entire virus database date in the standard skin's info menu window using the month/day/year format.  I never liked how the old skin couldn't fit the entire date in, so this new change makes me happy  ;D

One suggestion.. right now in order to move the skin around on the desktop, you have to hover the mouse arrow over where it says "Avast 4.5" on the skin.  Why not allow it to move on any of the outside areas of the skin?  Makes it more idiot proof for those less computer savy.

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Skin on version 4.5.498
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 05:47:14 PM »
Well as one of few skin designers, I must tell that your idea is unlikely to be accomplished... ever...

You can not make whole skin as area where you suppose to click for moving your skin. It's just because you have all those buttons around, and they already have their function. If I make every single part of the skin sensitive, buttons will lose their function. Also, same situation with sliding panels. They have their path they should follow if we want to see glitchless animation... there are so many touch sensitive areas inside the skins, that it would be pain in the rear end to isolate them... bottom line, standard Windows windows you can move around just by dragging them on the top part of the window... that's somehow standard.

Everyone should know by now that you can move your avast! window by pressing and holding logo area or top part of the window where window name is located... at least in all those skins made by me.

Great job with fitting the entire virus database date in the standard skin's info menu window using the month/day/year format.  I never liked how the old skin couldn't fit the entire date in, so this new change makes me happy  

That's not situation with my skins. I used smaller fonts so everything always fitted inside skins made by me... you're free to check it out.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 05:50:34 PM by S.Z.C »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »
BTW did you notice the fancy animation effect in the 4.5 skin if the translucent effects are turned on?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 07:12:21 PM »
Yes I've noticed, but I also have some vertical line floating from the right side to the left side of the display window... I thought it's a bug or something...

I won't ask how it is accomplished, 'cause I know you guys will keep it as a secret, hehe  ;D I remember you asked me some time ago about those LOCAL DISK, REMOVABLE MEDIA, FOLDER SELECTION - busy and disabled states... I revealed my secret to you and Martin, hehe...

Anyway, I'm not using Translucent effect in my avast! just because I had so many reports from other users that they have problems with those TGA files with Alpha transparency...

Cheers !

Starfighter

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 07:41:32 PM »
You can not make whole skin as area where you suppose to click for moving your skin. It's just because you have all those buttons around, and they already have their function. If I make every single part of the skin sensitive, buttons will lose their function.

Yeah, I appreciate that.  I was thinking of the bottom side of the menu (which doesn't grab) and also the right hand side of the new Avast default skin.  I agree with you that the top of the window is usually a default area for grabbing it for movement, which does work with the skin (I think I had at first an older 4.5 beta skin first where it didnt' grab--but it does now).

But it's no biggie...    ;)

I wasn't able to try the translucent effects as I'm stuck with using Win 98, ha ha ha!   :P

Also SZC... I have tried your skins, they are great!   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 10:06:26 PM »
BTW did you notice the fancy animation effect in the 4.5 skin if the translucent effects are turned on?

Working ok here...
Are 'only' some vertical line floating from the right side to the left side of the display window? The buttons seem to be static for me  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 05:35:05 PM »
Using version 4.5.498:

Great job with fitting the entire virus database date in the standard skin's info menu window using the month/day/year format.  I never liked how the old skin couldn't fit the entire date in, so this new change makes me happy  ;D

Ooops, I take that back.  The entire date still doesn't always fit in the window depending upon the virus pattern file.  An example that doesn't fit in the window is definitions: 0444-3. 10/29..    Grrrr!  >:(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »
OK, now you could just tell us what skin are you using ? I'm asuring you that you can see completely full date and pattern in all skins made by me...

I'm using RejZor-Sharp (also made by me) and everything looks great. I just tested all my other skins, no problems at all...

Here is screenshoot as a proof...

Starfighter

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 06:46:20 PM »
S.Z.C.  ... As said, I'm talking about the standard skin (i.e. the default avast! silver panel skin).  See attached image.

(your skins are all great S.Z.C... they don't suffer this date problem as you've pointed out)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 06:49:56 PM by Starfighter »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 07:28:29 PM »
Yeah,i have also enlarged info area in my skin,so that entire date is visible.
I belive Martin could increase width of the skin in order to use larger info area. 0,5cm (or max 1cm) more should be enough.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 07:54:07 PM »
Or Martin could just use little smaller font... that's all... I remember he had that issue before on some older skins as well...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 04:41:14 AM »
Or Martin could just use little smaller font... that's all... I remember he had that issue before on some older skins as well...

Or remove the bold...
This is worse in non-English versions... generally the words are longer...
The skins look weird this way.  :P
The best things in life are free.