Author Topic: Network Shield Scan count always 0  (Read 6741 times)

Negeltu

Network Shield Scan count always 0
« on: October 30, 2004, 04:27:38 AM »
Why is the Network Shield scan count always at 0?  Is this normal?  It hasn't scanned anything since I installed it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Network Shield Scan count always 0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 04:39:28 AM »
Why is the Network Shield scan count always at 0?  Is this normal?  It hasn't scanned anything since I installed it.

It's normal.
The count will be the number of the attacks. If zero, no attacks, thanks God  ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 04:40:14 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Negeltu

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:48:32 AM »
But...there is no value for Last scanned either.

Scan count is 0
and infected count is 0

but last scanned is blank... always blank...  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 05:42:05 AM »
I think Network Shield does not 'scan' but block attacks.
I think there is no meaning of scan. It's like a firewall and not on-access scaneer  8)
The best things in life are free.

jepp1

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 05:50:50 AM »
I seen this behavior that the network shield will show the popup for something. ( and I assume it blocks it) but the scanned and infected count remain 0 althought it logs the event in the last attacks tab.  Maybe it should indicate how many things were blocked instead of #infected or #scanned.

ioyuioynx

Re: Network Shield Scan count always 0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »
I'm having the same exact issues with Avast Home 4.8.1169. It shows the following:

Last scanned:
Last infected:
Scanned count: 0
Infected count: 0
Task Name: Resident protection
Run time: 2:53:24

I hear others saying that its OK, its working as it should and will pop up when it detects an attack. I'm not satisfied with that statement, because I had the Web Shield doing this same thing until I found, by luck, instructions on how to set up a proxy in Firefox.

So before I actually entered the required settings for Web Shield, it too was showing the same stats as Network Shield is now, and at the time, I thought Web Shield too was working as it should, but it obviously it wasn't.

Can you guys see my reason for concern?

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »
I'm having the same exact issues with Avast Home 4.8.1169. It shows the following:

Last scanned:
Last infected:
Scanned count: 0
Infected count: 0
Task Name: Resident protection
Run time: 2:53:24

I certainly do.

I had the same concern myself only a couple of days ago, and also set up a proxy in order to get the web shield to do it's job.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »

<snip>

There is no issue, you will only see these details if and when an attack is detected/blocked. So if you also have a correctly configured firewall it should be first in line to detect any exploit attempts and if not the Network Shield would be next in line.

<snip>
I had the same concern myself only a couple of days ago, and also set up a proxy in order to get the web shield to do it's job.

The web shield will do nothing to cover for the network shield it can't do the network shield's job period. The web Shield is designed to scan http protocol, port 80 traffic only and none of the ports that the Network Shield monitors.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

epp

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:34:16 AM »
Is the Network Shield considered an actual firewall?  If so, then it is necessary to keep the Windows Firewall running as well (e.g. two firewalls)?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
epp, Netshort Shield is not firewall. It detects only some viruses/exploits which can attack your computer from network.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Is the Network Shield considered an actual firewall?  If so, then it is necessary to keep the Windows Firewall running as well (e.g. two firewalls)?

As pk said the network shield isn't a firewall and to my mind neither is the windows firewall.

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection (but better than no firewall) and you should consider a third party firewall. The Vista firewall provides outbound protection, but it is disabled by default and it is rules based (and you have to create the rules) and as such a little complex.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security