Author Topic: internet problems after installation  (Read 6643 times)

GmaN98

internet problems after installation
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:27:23 AM »
Ok heres the deal. I put Avast Pro on all the computers we have in the house. All the others except my main one in my room all have problems with ALL the web browsers on them. The problem is that they all cannot connect to web pages and i get the Error 102 (connection refused by server). They were all working before I put Avast on them. I do hope someone out there is able to help me this is driving me crazy lol.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: internet problems after installation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
Try going into avast settings \ updates \ proxy settings and change to direct connection

GmaN98

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:56:50 AM »
just tried....no dice. I know its not the internet itself since i can still use Skype, or play a online game. but none of the browsers on the other 2 computers keep getting refused to connect...:(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
Which browsers are you using ? what systems are you running ? do you use third party firewalls on these computers ? what were the previous av's used on these systems and how did you remove them ?

GmaN98

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »
Browsers: IE, Chrome, Firefox (none of them work)

comp upstairs is using WinXP

laptop is win7 64 bit

i never thought to remove the old AVs on them because i thought they were gone...where are they located?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
Theres your problem then, remove them via add remove programs and then go to here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ and run the removal tool for any antivirus program you have used on the systems after you have first uninstalled them from remove programs.
Once they have all been removed with reboots inbetween each one you can try a repair of avast but you might have to reinstall as it may have been corrupted.

GmaN98

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
but on the laptop there is no other avast showing...we did put on the free version first, then i applied my license and then it was pro. For  that one should i just reinstall?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
but on the laptop there is no other avast showing...we did put on the free version first, then i applied my license and then it was pro. For  that one should i just reinstall?
If the laptop is also having connection problems i would uninstall and reinstall, start with the pro version this time and then insert your license rather than upgrading from free.
Make sure that any preinstalled av's that came with the system when you bought it like ( norton, McAfee ) are removed before installing your new copy of avast.

GmaN98

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
ive went through the program list and Avast is the only antivirus on the list. Ill try to uninstall and reinstall and see if that works

GmaN98

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
and sorry to say....when I uninstalled Avast the browsers worked perfectly, when I re-installed pro, put the license on it, the browsers stopped working again

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
and sorry to say....when I uninstalled Avast the browsers worked perfectly, when I re-installed pro, put the license on it, the browsers stopped working again

Is there any other security programs on the system at all ?

GmaN98

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
besides Windows firewall/defender no...but I found out what it was....the damn web shield module. if its on no webpage will allow me to connect, if its off, i can connect just fine. But i need it on, so I am trying to find a way to tweak it so i can keep it running, AND still connect to the net

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
Well you've got me stumped, all i can say is that it should be working with default settings, how are all the systems connecting, wireless, cable, mobile broadband ?

GmaN98

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
laptop is wireless, upstairs computer is wired. I am starting to think that this could be a update issue on avast's part.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
laptop is wireless, upstairs computer is wired. I am starting to think that this could be a update issue on avast's part.
If that were so the forum would be flooded with people not being able to connect, im out of ideas anyway so if you stick around someone else should be able to come up with some ideas and possible solutions.