Author Topic: Hi I have a question  (Read 3079 times)

zendako

Hi I have a question
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
Simply put I've used Avast for a long time. Think it's great software but recently I noticed that AvastSvc.exe runs on two threads and it's sending data out of my network at 25 kilobps and the other thread is recieving at 25 kilobps and I'm a little skeptical as to why it should do that. More over it's taking up a third of my internet bandwidth. I haven't monitored it for long and I'm not recieving updates. It's just doing it with out my interaction with the program. I have to say I am a little annoyed about that.

Why is it doing this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hi I have a question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
Well we would need more information to be able to say with any certainty what is happening.

The avastSvc.exe is the main scanning control and the Web Shield (and others) are controlled by this process. The web shield monitors your http traffic, to be able to do this and scan the content it redirects your browser http traffic through a local host proxy.

So depending on where you are seeing this, it could simply be that redirected traffic, so you see it under avastSvc.exe rather than seeing it all under your browser. This assumes that it is the web shield and not one of the other shields, such as P2P or Mail Shield, etc. See image example of my firewall log, click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zendako

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Thanks for that reply. It is to do with the traffic being forwarded through Avast.exe but uhm? why would it be recieving data at the same rate it's sending if you're downloading an aplication?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »
I haven't a clue as I have no information to base any conclusion.

All internet connections have traffic in both directions, request and response, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security