Author Topic: Free license renewal problems  (Read 9208 times)

BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus

Free license renewal problems
« on: July 31, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »
Hi,

I was about to renew the license of Avast free on a relatives PC, because she didn't do it herself and it was already expired for some time leaving the computer unprotected. So I opened Avast interface and clicked Fix now on the main window, and suddenly it activated all the shield and didn't ask for a license. When I go to the license window it shows it is extended by 3 months(presumably automatic, but then it is still strange because then why don't all the shields turn on automatically?) So I went to avast.com to register for a year license and I received one but can't enter it as Avast says it's already registered, but then it will expire in 3 months already and I'd rather don't have to bother with it for a year. Is it possible to delete the current license somehow?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Free license renewal problems
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
Is it possible to delete the current license somehow?

No, but you can uninstall avast! and reinstall it afterwards with the new license.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
I would tend to think that explaining how to renew the registration for a complete full year would be the easiest way, since you don't really need an off line registration with Avast Free. You just do it in the main GUI.

In 3 months, when Avast announces it, your relative just do it with a couple of clicks, much easier than uninstalling and reinstalling.

BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Already reinstalled it so it's done for now.

@ady4um
Would be easiest yes, except that she like a lot more people would just close messages about inactive AV's because they want to do other things on the net first or don't have time for it and then it takes ages before they take care of it :P

BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Thanks, already reinstalled it so it's done for now :)

@ady4um
Would be easiest yes, except that she like a lot more people would just close messages about inactive AV's because they want to do other things on the net first or don't have time for it and then it takes ages before they take care of it :P

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
You are currently taking care of it, so it is not something "to take care sometime in the future". I am just suggesting what I think is "more effective".

In addition, the new registration from the main GUI takes some seconds.

Thinking that Avast (or any other program / software / hardware / person / magic / government / party / other) will take care of your own security (or your friend's) as your first defense level is simply wrong, IMHO.

Avast is not the first defense. The first defense is the user itself. The user should take the first responsibility.

I just suggested you can teach the very simple method, even by phone.

If your friend doesn't want to learn, doesn't want to take some seconds, once a year, to renew a registration with some simple clicks...

BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
You are currently taking care of it, so it is not something "to take care sometime in the future". I am just suggesting what I think is "more effective".

In addition, the new registration from the main GUI takes some seconds.

Thinking that Avast (or any other program / software / hardware / person / magic / government / party / other) will take care of your own security (or your friend's) as your first defense level is simply wrong, IMHO.

Avast is not the first defense. The first defense is the user itself. The user should take the first responsibility.

I just suggested you can teach the very simple method, even by phone.

If your friend doesn't want to learn, doesn't want to take some seconds, once a year, to renew a registration with some simple clicks...
Yes I agree with you, the user is the main defense IMO, unfortunately there are too many users who don't care..

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
Thanks, already reinstalled it so it's done for now :)

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mantra

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
Is it possible to delete the current license somehow?

No, but you can uninstall avast! and reinstall it afterwards with the new license.
how can i renewal free license?
thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot

mantra

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
how can i renewal free license?
thanks

http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
but i registered via internal program
can i do it via internal program?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »
Yes, in exactly the same way you did before, but you can't do it until you get the re-register notifications (14 days from end of registration period) as the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration layout will change to allow it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mantra

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
Yes, in exactly the same way you did before, but you can't do it until you get the re-register notifications (14 days from end of registration period) as the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration layout will change to allow it.

but if in the meantime  i did change email address?
i mean it did ask name , last name and email to register

when i have to re-register and i changed email isp/provide , can i add a different email address ?
thanks
cheers
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:27:29 PM by mantra »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times you change your email the 're-registration process' will accept your current/new one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mantra

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times you change your email the 're-registration process' will accept your current/new one.
thanks

do you mean it will accept for example a new name/last name & email address?

thanks