Author Topic: Avast acting like a Trojan  (Read 24420 times)

MrSafe

Re: Avast acting like a Trojan
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
Avast sometimes blocks access to your website because it contains "malicious" content:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1713/

Trying to get the best resolution possible!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:48:17 PM by MrSafe »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
I'm using avast! for years and i haven't got any such warning on my page. Ever.

As for avast!, if you don't trust a well known security company like avast!, why do you even use it or even use internet for that matter? I mean, do you know where all Windows itself connects? You'd be terrified. Not to mention 3/4 of all programs. But in the end they all bash at avast! because it transfers few unimportant bytes over the net.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

MrSafe

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
It is not a matter of trust, I use the internet because I make myself safe. Yes, I checked every connection my pc makes and allow certain things to connect to certain sites using the correct ports and block anything that is not of benefit to me. For example here is how I configure svchost.exe in my firewall:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:51:15 PM by MrSafe »

MrSafe

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
I am not terrified of Windows because I control what it is doing and do not allow others to bypass my security. If those few bytes Avast send are unimportant then why does it do that? And in that case everybody should block it. I am not "bashing at" Avast, I am querying the information it sends. I did not expect to be criticised for being secure on the forum of an antivirus software. When you say they all bash at Avast for the information it sends it makes it sound like these people are being ignored when they also want to know what is being sent.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:52:09 PM by MrSafe »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »
Sorry, but if you cannot make a trust with the security vendor then we just cannot help you.
If you have such paranoia and doubt in avast! then uninstall it, unplug the computer from the internet and turn it off just to be sure. This might sound sarcastic but quite frankly they won't go and change the whole program just because 1 person feels over-paranoid because of few connections done by the program that is internet aware and requires it to operate.

And for the Windows itself, are you inspecting every packed and its content to be that sure? A pack of port rules makes absolutelly no difference if Windows tarnsfers all the stuff through Windows Update when you do the regular update. never thought of that? So much for calling avast! acting as trojan. I'm not saying Windows does that but i'm just proving the point to you.

MrSafe

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
If you have such paranoia
Questioning what information it is sending is not paranoia it is security and privacy
unplug the computer from the internet
Unplugging it from the internet is not necessary because I am secure.
and turn it off just to be sure. This might sound sarcastic
Turning it off just to be sure is totally unnecessary once secure and, therefore, blatant sarcasm.
but quite frankly they won't go and change the whole program just because 1 person feels over-paranoid
they all bash at avast! because it transfers few unimportant bytes over the net
so it is not just 1 person and I hope security is not considered over-paranoia at avast.
connections done by the program that is internet aware and requires it to operate
It is operating fine after blocking the connections, so they are not needed to operate.
And for the Windows itself, are you inspecting every packed and its content to be that sure
No I am BLOCKING every unnecessary packet and its content to be sure.
A pack of port rules makes absolutelly no difference if Windows tarnsfers all the stuff through Windows Update when you do the regular update. never thought of that
Yes I have. So they only get access when I want to update and can make no other connections
So much for calling avast! acting as trojan
A Trojan is something that sends information from your computer to its author without your permission, like Avast does. That is something an antivirus should NOT do. Avast pay for the servers to receive all this, so I am questioning why
I'm not saying Windows does that but i'm just proving the point to you
Which part of your comment proves anything? This is the website of a security software and I am trying to ensure I am secure. The blatantly sarcastic, insulting and uninformative way you are trying to prevent me from doing so adds to my concerns.

Gargamel360

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 06:29:42 AM »
I can't speak for Avast!, but I see privacy and security as 2 separate issues.   Maybe not quite an apples/oranges comparison, maybe more like limes/lemons?  Yes, they often share many things in common, but still the two issues still should not be confused. 

Anyway, a quick scan of this topic leaves me thinking no one has asked you if you have noticed the "community" options in the main settings yet.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
MrSafe, if you know "so much" then how come you don't have a clue about what CommunityIQ is and what it does? Or WebRep? Or Behavior Shield? Oh noes, its sending data back to AVAST Software!!!!!
These days they are all sending data back. But its not like they are uploading your documents and pictures. They are uploading suspicious samples, statistical data, decisions made by user etc etc.
I think you know you need a two way communication for such things to work.

If you're looking for a prooduct that just downloads definitions and that's it, good luck. I don't think you'll find any these days. Maybe ClamWin but then again, would you rely on it? I know i wouldn't...

MrSafe

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
I see privacy and security as 2 separate issues
Whether there is any difference or not I expect both and most people will put them together under general safety

In previous comments here:
I didn't install WebRep, so that's not creating any connections
CommunityIQ feature
and don't have the features you mentioned
As I have already stated I do not have the WebRep or CommunityIQ features. I disabled the Behavior Shield and Avast continues to try to connect to the internet, just less persistently. That is the first real piece of help I received here. I looked up the Behavior Shield in the help file, but there is no description so I Googled it.
its sending data back to AVAST Software!!!!!
Finally, that is correct.
uploading suspicious samples, statistical data, decisions made by user etc
It started before Avast had detected anything suspicious and before I had many any decision with it. It does not check with me that I want to upload this information, what if these samples contained something I did not want anyone else to see? My source code, for example. And what statistical data? If you knew these things previously why have you not mentioned them until now? Instead of trying to shut me up with your insulting comments.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:03:28 PM by MrSafe »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
You do have CommunityIQ as its an inegral part of avast!. Can be turned of but i see little point in doing that. Same for disabling or removing Behavior Shield or disabling updating.
Its like having a car with ABS, EBD, ASR, ESP and then turning everything off because of god knows what reason. Everything here connects for a reason.

In all the years that i "work" here as freelance support  don't recall anyone ever be so persistent on anything in avast!. It seems like you have this fixed idea of not liking avast! and no argument will ever change your mind. This is how it works, few hundred million users don't mind how avast! works, just you. I really can't say anything else.

If you feel like you don't trust avast! product or AVAST Software as a company then i suggest you simply uninstall it and use something else. Or nothing at all since i don't think you'll find anything that works like you want it.

ady4um

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
I think that there is a middle ground here.

For MrSafe, I would like to say that in the Avast forum is very rare to find some censorship or alike. I don't think that users here are denying you an answer or telling you that your questions are not welcome. You need to consider that the average forum user here is not part of Avast Team. The "exact" technical answer may need some specific Avast developer to invest some time to explain "every" module that tries to send some kind of data. As you can read in this topic from several answers from several different users, there are several modules trying to do their best which may include sending information.

I am not so sure that any developer would like to invest such time to explain in such a detail every module that sends some kind of data (or request it).

I am also not sure that there are many reasons to request such a detail explanation. The "necessary" explanations are out there, whether it is the help file, or some knowledgebase article, or in this forum.

I indeed can understand the concerns. And I think the question is still valid. But just as you won't ask Google for an answer about how they choose their ads to be displayed to you in particular, it is somehow unrealistic to ask the same from Avast Team.

An Avast developer also "chipped in" in this topic. That is not rare, but it is not happening in every topic.

So a more general answer has been provided. Several examples of the goals to those connections have been mentioned.

You may trust Avast Software, or you may decide not to. If you (or anyone else) finds something "strange", they are always welcome to ask a "specific" question about a "specific" situation. A real "trojan" won't give you such an opportunity.

You are free to block anything you like, as with anything in your computer. You received some answers or tips about that strategy. If you still think you are safer closing some shield, or blocking some connection, that's still your choice.

I don't think any "common" user of this forum is able or knows enough technical details so to answer your question more specifically. If a developer wont answer it, then as with other things is still your choice what to do in your system.

You are still welcome to ask about doubts. If you can provide specific behaviours or situations with specific details, then maybe someone can answer (but the possibility that your question would not get a satisfying answer is also opened).

Gargamel360

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Yeah, normally I hesitate to say "move away from Avast!" on their forums, I try not to crap on others doorstep, so to speak.  But this is simply the way it works, and if you really need total transparency, another product might be better for you.  I would say "trust Avast!", but you appear to live by Sandboxie's motto of "trust no software". ;)

I'm betting there is a reason Avast!'s connections are not all totally transparent, as you apparently want them to be, and it isn't that they are trying to be sneaky and run off with your source code.  Most users would be driven nuts by all the connection requests.  

Really, the managing of data coming and going is between you and your firewall, as it should be.  And Avast! is still blockable via your firewall, is it not?  So, block Avast!.  Easy peasy, as the Brits would say.  Although thats not very nice of you, making using Avast! a near total one-way street.  What it sounds like you desire is a near-corporate/business style of security program.  Anyway, you always have the option of blocking, but I don't think you will see an option for "display request for all attempted connections" in the near future, if ever.

MrSafe

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
RejZoR:
OH MY GOD! YOU WORK FOR AVAST?

I have switched off CommunityIQ, whether I 'have' it or not is mere wordplay. I would not disable those features on a car unless they were a potential safety threat, or somehow sending out information to the manufacturer. Everything connects for a reason and I am questioning that reason. I have not expressed any dislike of Avast and am still keeping an open mind.
they all bash at avast! because it transfers few unimportant bytes over the net
This is how it works, few hundred million users don't mind how avast! works, just you
Once again you are contradicting yourself on this point in an attempt to add weight to your sarcasm. I will probably uninstall Avast when I have finished reviewing it UNLESS I CAN FIND OUT WHAT INFORMATION IT IS SENDING AND AM TOTALLY SATISFIED THAT MY SECURITY AND PRIVACY ARE TOTALLY UNAFFECTED. In future can you please not keep repeating the same points without addressing the issue. Do you really think that is professional or helpful to Avast Software?

ady4um:
Thanks again for another relevant and competent post. You posted while I was writing this, but I will leave the above paragraph unedited. I have, of course, already noticed that my freedom of speech is being respected by the avast! forum itself and I fully understand what you mean about the seperate modules (I sometime even sympathise with Microsoft because of the size of Windows & the number of features that can cause problems!). I believe that certain 'irritants' here are not closely related to the development of avast!, although they are possibly in some way relative to the broader team. In a previous comment on this thread RejZoR mentioned the Behavior Shield and after trying Avast without that the connections it makes are very few. I had assumed from the name Behavior Shield that this was a Comodo Defense+ type strategy that stops applications accessing other applications. Saying that, my firewall just popped up again for AvastSvc! I am mostly happy with avast!, but consider this to be a VERY important point. I believe you do, too. I hope that avast! will make the changes you mentioned in your previous post to prevent this causing issues to others. Then I would say that that avast! has very little competition, if any.

Gargamel360:
You also posted while I was writing this, but I believe that the previous paragraph to ady4um is relevant to you, too. I would not have it as a one-way street and would contribute, but would rather have more transparency and know EXACTLY what I am contributing. On reflection I see that I could add any sensitive data to the exceptions in avast!'s settings and trust that this would be respected, but think that many users would not know about this option.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:09:02 PM by MrSafe »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
1. RejZoR: OH MY GOD! YOU WORK FOR AVAST?

2. I will probably uninstall Avast when I have finished reviewing it UNLESS I CAN FIND OUT WHAT INFORMATION IT IS SENDING AND AM TOTALLY SATISFIED THAT MY SECURITY AND PRIVACY ARE TOTALLY UNAFFECTED.

3. I had assumed from the name Behavior Shield that this was a Comodo Defense+ type strategy that stops applications accessing other applications.

4. ...but would rather have more transparency and know EXACTLY what I am contributing.

1. No, he doesn't and he never said so, btw.
2. Feel free to uninstall avast! at any point. It's your system anyway.
3. Well, it's no HIPS.
4. How should this work..?? While you would prefer a more verbose transfer, most users would just hate this. Think about it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline boombastik

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
When u open avast user interface in the section current status= safe it has an advertisement in the bottom,maybe that why it conects to the internet everytime u open that gui.