Author Topic: Avast acting like a Trojan  (Read 24429 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast acting like a Trojan
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
I really don't know why the hell you're complicating so much. I already told you like 3 times what kind of things are using internet connection. I don't know why you even bother with it if you clearly don't like it from first minute...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

MrSafe

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
Asyn:
1.He said:
In all the years that i "work" here as freelance support
2. I am less likely to uninstall it now I know that RejZoR's attitude is not representative of avast!
I looked up the Behavior Shield in the help file, but there is no description so I Googled it
4. I know most users would hate that, but think it should be either in the settings for those who need it or an option for it to be logged

boombastik:
I noticed that the GUI makes one connection when you open it. It is a lot more than that, but thanks for pointing it out

RejZoR:
I have already addressed the issue of you repeating yourself, but failing to get the point. I have already pointed out to you that I have disabled/uninstalled the 3 features you mentioned. I will repeat myself again for your benefit:
In future can you please not keep repeating the same points without addressing the issue
I have not expressed any dislike of Avast
I sympathise with your obvious problem, but if you really want to help avast! I suggest you go and "work" for one of its competitors.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
I know most users would hate that, but think it should be either in the settings for those who need it or an option for it to be logged

It seems, you suggest to program a version for everyone. (Or in this case, one for you.)
But that's just impossible, imo. Sorry.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MrSafe

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »
I do not require this only for myself, but for everyone who uses it. avast! blocks other software from sending information, does it not? Do you see why that is important?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:16 AM »
avast! blocks other software from sending information, does it not?

Huh..?? What do you mean...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MrSafe

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
avast! blocks malicious software from connecting to the internet, ie, trojans, as any antivirus should, but then sends information itself. Did I really have to explain that?

Gargamel360

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
Do you think the sending of any data is in and of itself malicious?

Nesivos

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:30:31 AM »
Since I have been posting on this forum for about one year Mr.Safe is the second poster that I have seen who is complaining about avast! connecting to the internet.

I would think that if this were a real problem then

1.  You would read about it in product reviews of avast!
2.  Avast wouldn't have

As of early 2011, avast! antivirus has more than 140 million registered users and 120 million active users.

https://blog.avast.com/about/

Not very likely that this is a problem.

Just saying.

MrSafe

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:22 AM »
Gargamel360:
To be honest, I very much doubt that is is malicious. However, I am not certain of this and would very much like some transparency on the matter. I recommended my previous antivirus (AntiVir) to many people and, although I personally had no problems with it, found I could no longer do this because of the number of people who were becoming unhappy with it. Really, I would like to be able to recommend Avast because of its impressive features, but think this one single issue too important to ignore. The trust we give to our AVs is possibly higher than any other software, except probably our operating systems and firewalls.

Nesivos:
You are probably right (I certainly hope so!), but I feel I have to be sure. I have never seen this mentioned anywhere either, so I partly feel I have no reassurances about it and wonder why nobody ever mentions it or seems to be aware of it. It's a sad fact that as companies grow they get more hungry for people's information, so I think it is a valid question. Looking at it this way, the vast number of users adds to my concerns and my persistence!

Nesivos

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »
Gargamel360:
To be honest, I very much doubt that is is malicious. However, I am not certain of this and would very much like some transparency on the matter. I recommended my previous antivirus (AntiVir) to many people and, although I personally had no problems with it, found I could no longer do this because of the number of people who were becoming unhappy with it. Really, I would like to be able to recommend Avast because of its impressive features, but think this one single issue too important to ignore. The trust we give to our AVs is possibly higher than any other software, except probably our operating systems and firewalls.

Nesivos:
You are probably right (I certainly hope so!), but I feel I have to be sure. I have never seen this mentioned anywhere either, so I partly feel I have no reassurances about it and wonder why nobody ever mentions it or seems to be aware of it. It's a sad fact that as companies grow they get more hungry for people's information, so I think it is a valid question. Looking at it this way, the vast number of users adds to my concerns and my persistence!

The reason that no one says anything about it is because it is not an issue.

There comes a time in life that we have to trust those who know and this is one of those times that you just have to trust 140 million avast! users.  If you can't do that then no matter what anyone says will never convince you that this is not an issue and IMO you should just move on with your life.

Good luck I hope you work it out. 

Gargamel360

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »
Well, one thing to consider is Avast! is not an open-source program.  They have a vested interest in keeping parts of how their program work as close to the vest as possible.  So they will be transparent up to a point....stopping short of divulging certain things.  Included in what they are trying to protect might be some of its calls out, what they do, and what purpose they serve.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »
I really don't know what's MrSafe trying to achieve here. Either he's totally paranoid (beyond any healthy levels) or he's just plain trolling. Over the years i've tested pretty much all security programs and they all behave like avast! does, so why the hell he's hanging on to avast! and complaining over how it works, over and over and over again? This is avast! and that's how it's working. Accept it or don't use it. It can't get any simplier than this. I mean why don't you install Norton and go bother their tech support why it sending data somewhere. Or other 50+ security  programs that also do this... It's how they work. Just accept it already geez.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Gargamel360

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Dunno, he wants more than he will likely get, but I don't see the harm in him asking or wanting to know.

Why does it bother you so much, Rejzor?

The moon is not yet full, but you are getting angry like your weresheep form is coming out. ;D

MrSafe

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
trust those who know and this is one of those times that you just have to trust 140 million avast! users
If they know what it is sending then I wish they would tell me.

I appreciate that Avast have to protect their information, but don't we all?

Thanks Gargamel, but you probably don't want that pesky sheep to come and irritate you!

Anyway, in an attempt to reassure myself I switched off all avast! features, added all my hard drives to the exceptions and AvastSvc tried to connect. I thought it might be trying to report something it had previously detected so I uninstalled and reinstalled it with everything deselected so that it only installed one language pack, the core files and no shields. Even though it had absolutely no information about anything suspicious to report AvastSvc tried to connect. This proves that it is not only sending information regarding suspicious things it has detected. Sounds like an effort, but it only took a few minutes.

MrSafe

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:49 AM »
I forgot to mention that while I was doing this my system tried to connect to Avast's servers via NetBIOS and Windows Explorer also tried to connect to them.