Author Topic: New Avast update??  (Read 5102 times)

g.w.

New Avast update??
« on: October 30, 2004, 10:53:55 AM »
Hi, new here, using Avast for a short time, like it, love the price of Home 4.

Tonite when starting up my Firefox was very slow to open, appx 1 minute. At same time Firefox was opening, got an update screen from Avast, looked like an Avast screen anyhow. Asked if I wanted an update? Sure I say, and click it open, this is unusual, as usual it auto updates, and tells me the new version #. Starts to open and my Zone Alarm kicks in with a RED warning about a change program , do I want to allow. All the while this update is loading with a file name of Jolly Rancher or something similar?.

End of story I disallowed the update. 2 reasons: (1) the file name seemd a bit strange for AV program, but not for a menace. (2) all updates prior to had been done as auto, and didn`t require me jumping in, after update would simply show pop up stating new #.

Recent have seen info on a BAGEL.BD, BC, BE which take over AV, and firewalls. Unsure how it presents or what it looks like.

Coming here I see info on Avast 4.5, was this the update? If so why the download this way as opposed to just popping it on as with other updates?

Probably paranoid, but the bad guys are always a step ahead it seems, didn`t want to open the door, without looking through the peephole first. Went to the main Avast site, didn`t see a news flash about having to load an update. In looking around site saw this forum, figured I`d check here.

Thanks for any info.
g.w.

RJ

Re:New Avast update??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 11:46:06 AM »
jollyroger.vpu.stamp is part of avast

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:New Avast update??
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 01:48:54 PM »
g.w., your update seems normal and without any souspicious thing. Maybe you're doing a program update (4.1.501) and not only a virus database (VPS) one.

Zone Alarm warns the changed program as avast.setup file is the new one trying to connect and finish the update.

As you do not allow the update, please, do it again  ;)
The best things in life are free.