Author Topic: Questions and bug(s)  (Read 5243 times)

wpn

Questions and bug(s)
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
My systems:
Windows 2008 R2 EN (x64 obviously)
Windows 7 x32 NL

Possible bugs:

- When i run a deployment job and it fails i cant click on the RUN NOW button anymore until i changed page and come back to the jobs page

- When i run a deployment job which is set to email deploy it fails and gives me the message that more information is given in the summery page message. I do not receive any message in the summary page

- I cant seem to deploy the client to the server which has SBC software installed on it, getting an access denied in the logs. I have set everything correct and the account is already been used to deploy to two workstations. After this error i deployed a new server (gotta love virtualisation) based on exactly the same image as the SBC server. I deployed using the same settings to the server where SBC was not installed and the deployment went succesful.
Since the information in the deploylog is very limited, is there another way to deploy so i get a lot more logging?
Can i deploy manually somehow?
(im missing the MSI package generator here)

Next i have some questions:

1) Why are error logs not simply accessible? (have to go to ADMIN - SETTINGS - TROUBLESHOOTING -  
   DOWNLOAD -> open zip)
   In admin make a direct option for Troubleshooting please and preferably within the
   GUI readable. In my humble opinion: Troubleshooting is not a setting but an action

2) Why are the MORE DETAILS from a job (failure) only the time and date, i expect to see the  
   short description/explanation of exactly what went wrong.
   (Standard - visionapp Remote Desktop 2011_2011-07-28_12-06-44.png)
   Make a short description of the error available in that screen
3) Where/How can i control the firewall in BPP?
   -I cant seem to find any settings i can make to the firewall, how can i open ports from the
    management interface
   -If i dont want to have the firewall active, i uncheck it in the group setting, the
    computers turn yellow because the firewall is not running anymore, where can i turn of
    monitoring the firewall setting, i cant seem to find it?
   Make it possible to control firewall settings and make it possible to stop
    monitoring the firewall status, like it is possible with the other modules

4) Can you rename the name of STATUS BAR to MONITORING. The name is not relevant to the settings
   purpose.
   (Standard - visionapp Remote Desktop 2011_2011-07-28_13-09-10.png)
5) In the expert settings i find several references to Avast5. We are working with Avast 6
   arent we?
6) Is there a firewall for the servers? I deployed a client to a server where the firewall was
   supposed to be enabled but the firewall tab didnt show up.
7) I cant turn of monitoring the anti-spam shield. Didnt check it in expert settings yet tho
   Make all the shields that there are (shields/firewall/plugins) be controllable
   for monitoring at the monitoring tab (status bar), instead of half half
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:55:47 PM by wpn »

wpn

Re: Questions and bug(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
*BUMP*

Lukas see you been busy in other postings, please check this too?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
Hi WPN,

I agreed with you regarding to the troubleshooting log information which's more complex to analysis rather than previous version ADNM which is Administrator can easily to read the log from browser.

Is there any further improvement for log informations.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
I believe I have a bug:

When i run a deployment job and it fails i cant click on the RUN NOW button anymore until i changed page and come back to the jobs page
Have you tried to click the OK button that appears instead of the Run Now? This is behavior similar to avast! client.

Next i have some questions:

1) Why are error logs not simply accessible? (have to go to ADMIN - SETTINGS - TROUBLESHOOTING - 
   DOWNLOAD -> open zip)
   In admin make a direct option for Troubleshooting please and preferably within the
   GUI readable. In my humble opinion: Troubleshooting is not a setting but an action

The main purpose of this setting was to provide a way to create a zip with logs for avast suport. However yes, I agree with you ad fill a bug/improvement for developers. This could work in better way!

2) Why are the MORE DETAILS from a job (failure) only the time and date, i expect to see the   
   short description/explanation of exactly what went wrong.
   (Standard - visionapp Remote Desktop 2011_2011-07-28_12-06-44.png)
   Make a short description of the error available in that screen
This should be improved in next updates of the BP server (admin console).

3) Where/How can i control the firewall in BPP?
   -I cant seem to find any settings i can make to the firewall, how can i open ports from the
    management interface
   -If i dont want to have the firewall active, i uncheck it in the group setting, the computers
    turn yellow because the firewall is not running anymore, where can i turn of monitoring the
    firewall setting, i cant seem to find it?
   Make it possible to control firewall settings and make it possible to stop
    monitoring the firewall status, like it is possible with the other modules

definitelly a bug - already filled (=will be fixed soon)

4) Can you rename the name of STATUS BAR to MONITORING. The name is not relevant to the settings
   purpose.
   (Standard - visionapp Remote Desktop 2011_2011-07-28_13-09-10.png)
good idea. The settings mimics avast! client settings however in this case it might be a better name.

5) In the expert settings i find several references to Avast5. We are working with Avast 6 arent
   we?
That's a bug. I'll check it and file new bugs for our developers.

thank you for the recommendations (and the bugs ;) )

Is there any further improvement for log informations.
@Yanto: YES, we plan to improve the messages and logs.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your update...

We'll see the next version of SBC.
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

wpn

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
thnx for the reply Lukas
to answer your questions:

1 (bug)) yes, i clicked on ok, but none of any buttons reappeared until i refreshed the page (go to other option, then return)

2)thnx, looking forward to it. The zip option is nice indeed, dont take it out. But for an administrator it would be nice to be able to read (in the GUI) the logs without so much clicking and unzipping :)
Maybe its an option to put in an e-mail option to either a given e-mail or the avast support?

3) looking forward to it, any release date?
   adding to that:  will there be a frequently updated release schedule for updates from the SBC?

4) great it gets fixed, will it also be fixed for the antispam ?

5) its great to mimic as much as possible from the client for ease of usage, but its a control tool after all and for administrators that should know what they are doing ;) (i dont claim to know what i am doing but it seems that i do know something ;)), it cant have control and look exactly like the client because then it loses functionality and thats what we ultimately want  control and functionality... staying on the road to improve here, great :)

no thnx needed... im happy to bug you :)