Author Topic: "computer was unable to start" and Avast?  (Read 16035 times)

Liz

"computer was unable to start" and Avast?
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Hi all,

I have been getting fairly frequent messages "your computer was unable to start" and "startup repair is checking your computer..." when booting my computer.  So far Vista (ser pack 2) is able to do a restore and start my computer, but I have no idea why this is happening.  Have thought that maybe is related to Avast virus definition updates.  And the last two times this has happened Avast has been disabled after startup and I had do reboot again to get it going.

Anybody with any info about this would be much appreciated!

Liz

Nesivos

Re: "computer was unable to start" and Avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have a Toshiba laptop would you?

In any case try turning your computer completely off, power down if a laptop or netbook.  Then reboot holding down/tapping the F8 in some cases could be the F5 key.   If you can get to a screen that says Restore Last Known Good Configuration click on that and follow the instructions.  If you can then get to you desktop make sure that your Windows Vista SP2 is completely up to date.

If you can restore the Last Known Good Configuration you may to then update the avast! program to the current version and/or update the avast! virus definition file to get them current.

Liz

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
Thank you, Nesivos.  My computer does an automatic restore (actually it asks me to ok a restore each time) back to last good configuration and then starts ok, just takes a LOT of time.  It just keeps happening regularly every so often.  And lately Avast is disabled when it does finally start, and I have to reboot again.  I thought at one time it might actually be the Windows updates causing this problem (mine updates automatically).  I've had to permanently remove at least one update a while back because there was a conflict.  I have the paid version of Avast and it updates automatically, too, the virus definitions.  I thought it automatically updates the program, too, but maybe not?

Just have no idea why I keep getting this problem every so often of "computer was unable to start" and having to a do another restore to a last known good configuration.  And now avast disabled after start, too.

liz

Zandra Lee

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »
I am experiencing this problem as well. The program will not restart and the "fix it" button does nothing. Does anyone know why this is happening when my computer experiences the "unable to start" error? I am running Vista SP2. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
I am experiencing this problem as well. The program will not restart and the "fix it" button does nothing. Does anyone know why this is happening when my computer experiences the "unable to start" error? I am running Vista SP2. Thank you.

Which avast..?
Which version..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
Thank you, Nesivos.  My computer does an automatic restore (actually it asks me to ok a restore each time) back to last good configuration and then starts ok, just takes a LOT of time.  It just keeps happening regularly every so often.  And lately Avast is disabled when it does finally start, and I have to reboot again.  I thought at one time it might actually be the Windows updates causing this problem (mine updates automatically).  I've had to permanently remove at least one update a while back because there was a conflict.  I have the paid version of Avast and it updates automatically, too, the virus definitions.  I thought it automatically updates the program, too, but maybe not?

Just have no idea why I keep getting this problem every so often of "computer was unable to start" and having to a do another restore to a last known good configuration.  And now avast disabled after start, too.

liz

Not to sound pedantic :)

Restore is not the same as Restoring the last system image if you the computer creates one off of backup and is not the same as Restore Last Known Good Configuration.  Three things all different.

1.  Restore which restores the Registry
2.  Restore System Image which is a more complete Restore than restoring the Registry and or user files etc
3.  Restore Last Known Good Configuration which is the most thorough restore.

I am sorry I have never heard of a Windows computer doing automatic restores to the Last Known Good Configuration.   Not that I am doubting what you wrote but please.

1.  What is it saying on the screen when it starts its automatic restore?
2.  What is the screen that you are looking at when it starts its automatic restore?
3.  Is this happening before or after you log into Windows? 
3a. If after you log when does it occur; i.e. when you are at the desktop?
4.  What is the computer make and model and OS version?

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »
@Liz,

There might be other reasons for the problem, and the fact that Avast was running might be just a coincidence. We don't have enough info to be conclusive about it.

Are you using the battery only, or your system is connected to the power AC? Hardware is only 1 of many possibilities.

What I would suggest, so to confirm if Avast is currently related to the problem, is to completely unistall Avast. Do you have your registration file saved or backup-ed? If you do, then simply unistall Avast and shutdown completely your system (no standby nor hibernate, but power off).

If you can, leave the power cable connected but take out the battery (be aware of the consequences of this). Leave your system powered off until it cools down.

Now reboot; is your system working correctly? If it is, then Avast "may" be related. If it is still not working correctly, do whatever you need to do to make it work correctly. BTW, one reboot might not be enough to be sure it works or not.

In any case, if the problem is not consistent but only under some situation or "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't", then either some kind of update of some software is making problems, or a hardware problem is more likely.

To be clear, these are only possible suggestions. If you are not comfortable with hardware, or any of this seems "too strange" for you, then please don't start with any of these steps by yourself. Better to seek help from some friend or relative.

Whichever the case, please report back.

Liz

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
Hi All,

I apologize for not replying to you all before.  For some reason I did not get an email letting my know there were responses.

This problem is continuing, but as of yesterday Avast will no longer start at all after the problem is fixed.

To review--I am not using a laptop, but a pc.  I have Vista SerPack 2.  I have been getting messages when trying to start my computer not always, but every so often, that say "your computer was unable to start. Startup repair is attempting to repair (forget the rest of that line).  Then: Do you want to restore your computer using system restore?"

I click yes and the computer goes through system restore and then it will start.  But then I noticed about the time I posted my first post above that Avast was not working after the startup.  However, at that time I could just reboot my computer and Avast would start.

Now, since yesterday, Avast will not start at all, I am also unable to start it manually.  The Avast icon in my tray has an 'X' on it.  When I click on it says it's not running and to click to start the program but it will not start at all.  I tried 'update' but it tells me 'fail to update, Avast service is not running.'

I have suspected that my computer failing to start may have had something to do with conflicts in Avast but am not certain.

Now I need to know how to get Avast running again.

thanks

Liz

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »
PS to the above.

I have the paid version of Avast.  At present on the 'subscription page' of Avast it says 'Active' but everything else is blank on that page. 

If I have to uninstall and reinstall Avast, how do I get the license file or activation code that I will need?

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
First - What version of avast are you using ?
Check for a program update as avast 6.0.1289 has just been released and that may have resolved this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Liz

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »
My program version 6.01.1203

As I said, I cannot update through my program.  Avast is not working on my computer at all.

DavidR, I get automatic updates of program and virus files with this paid version.  If the new version came out very recently, I'm thinking that may be what caused my computer not to start, but I'm not sure about that still.  When my computer was reset to a former restore point, it would have removed any recent updates of Avast.

I still need to know if I need to uninstall and reinstall and how to do that, how to get my license file or activation code, etc.

thanks

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
You could find your avast.licen file in Avast folder, or still in your email. Copy it to a backup folder.

Other than that, you should download the latest stable version of Avast from the official site (only) and the Clean Uninstall Utility from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

Restart your system under Windows Safe Mode (tapping on F8 while booting) and run the uninstall utility (skip the "Add/Remove programs" step).

Reboot into Windows Normal mode, install the new Avast you just downloaded, and reboot again.

Once you know that Avast is working, add your license file from your backup, and reboot again to test it.

Liz

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
I went to Avast site and found a way to request my license file using my email address, it was sent to me right away through email.  I used the regular uninstall procedure which worked fine, installed the license key and now Avast is working again as usual on my computer.

At least until the next time I get the recurring problem about my computer failing to start.

That seems to happen when there is an update of some kind, either Avast or maybe it's Firefox updates.

Still a mystery!

Just hope it doesn't continue to knock out Avast totally as it did this time.  Would hate to have to reintall Avast every few days.

thank all

Liz

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
(Can't find a way to edit my posts)

PS: ady4rum, it seems from your first line that you think I have just started using Avast?

I have used Avast for years and years, and my current paid version runs until December of this year.  I did not have a copy of my license file saved anywhere that I know of.  But it was really easy to have it sent, as I found out.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »
@Liz,

I can't know in advance your knowledge level. No offense intended. Just trying to help.

Anyway, the uninstall utility under Safe mode and skipping the Add/remove programs should solve your installation problems (in most cases, but not all cases), since you already have several of them, and Avast service was already "off" (which is your first reason for updates problems).

BTW, to edit a post, you have "modify" on the upper-right part of the specific post.