Author Topic: "computer was unable to start" and Avast?  (Read 16036 times)

YoKenny

Re: "computer was unable to start" and Avast?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
(Can't find a way to edit my posts)

Just click on Modify
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:52:16 PM by YoKenny »

Liz

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 02:41:40 AM »
@Liz,

I can't know in advance your knowledge level. No offense intended. Just trying to help.

Anyway, the uninstall utility under Safe mode and skipping the Add/remove programs should solve your installation problems (in most cases, but not all cases), since you already have several of them, and Avast service was already "off" (which is your first reason for updates problems).

BTW, to edit a post, you have "modify" on the upper-right part of the specific post.

I may not have mentioned, but I took a chance and did the uninstall/reinstall etc. on my own (without knowing what I was really doing) before I saw your other post about how to do that.  Thanks for trying to help with that, though.

Thanks for letting me know how to modify my posts, and at the same time I found out how to quote a specific poster, so thanks for that, too.

At present, after getting Avast working again, at least temporarily, I am right back where I started with my original problem--whatever the conflicts are that happen every so often causing my computer not to start, and Avast to stop working again.

It's odd because this problem has been going on for months now, only once in a while.  In the beginning Avast was not affected at all.  Then I noticed that after my computer did the restore that Avast would not be on, but I could reboot my computer and Avast would start again.

Now this time, Avast could not be started at all without the uninstall/reinstall.  Things are getting worse.  :-\

Or maybe I'll get lucky and none of this will ever happen again, for some inexplicable reason.

Got my fingers crossed!  :)

Thanks again everyone.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:43:42 AM by Liz »

Liz

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 04:30:08 AM »
I thought my problem had gone away after the uninstall/reinstall of Avast, came back here to check the date to see that it's been almost month since the last time.  It went through the whole going back to the last restore point thing.  But at least this time Avast did not fail to start.

Again today, the only thing that had been changed on my computer was virus updates from Avast. But then,

Big mystery.

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:24 AM »
Why you are going back to previous restore points? In my experience, users tend to "overuse" (abuse of) this feature, forgetting that there are some "cons" too, not only "pros".

Please download the removal tool from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and run it directly under Windows Safe Mode, effectively skipping the "Add/Remove Programs".

And if you find new problems with Avast, please come back to report them BEFORE going back to old restore points (which clearly are not solving Avast problems).

Liz

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
I came back to this thread mainly to see how long it had been since the last problem I had.

To be able to understand about going back to restore points you would have to read all my posts and not just the last one.  I have no choice when my computer fails to start but to allow it to do what it asks to do to get my computer started or it won't start at all.  The only option it gives me is to go back to a restore point.

thanks

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
To be able to understand about going back to restore points you would have to read all my posts and not just the last one.  I have no choice when my computer fails to start but to allow it to do what it asks to do to get my computer started or it won't start at all.  The only option it gives me is to go back to a restore point.

No, that wasn't the intention of my question. What I mean is, why can't you follow the "normal" procedures and boot into Windows Safe Mode (while you still can) and run the removal utility for Avast, directly, without the "Add/Remove Programs". http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. Just to be clear, skip "Add/Remove Programs" completely, and skip the Normal Mode. Go directly to Safe Mode and directly to the removal utility.

Select the correct folder for your Avast installation and the correct Avast version. Run the removal tool for that version. Then reboot again into Windows Safe Mode and ran again the removal utility for prior versions you ever HAD. Boot into Safe Mode between each run of the removal tool.

Under Windows Normal Mode, download anew the latest stable version of Avast, (and then "right click -> properties -> unblock -> OK") run the installation as Administrator (right click -> "run as administrator") and reboot again into Normal Mode immediately after the setup finishes.

Test and report back.

My previous question was about why you can't PREVENT getting to this situation when you "must" go back to a restore point. Generating a memory dump could be useful too.

Liz

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I think I mostly understand what you're getting at now. 

But after doing all that you suggest, you say "test and report back."  The thing is that the problem I'm trying to solve only happens occasionally, like this time it took a month for it to happen again (it used to happen more often like maybe once a week or couple of weeks), so I can't really just 'test and report back' right away because I have no idea how long it will take for this problem to occur again.

Also, since no one else here is having this problem, it indicates to me that this probably isn't an Avast problem--the only strange thing was that the last few times this happened Avast wasn't running after my computer started and I had to reboot to get Avast to run again, and then the time before this one Avast would not run at all, which is why I did the reinstall. That was the only time that happened that Avast wouldn't run at all.

This time Avast is still working fine after the problem happened yesterday, did not even have to reboot to get it to run.

About following the 'normal' procedure and boot into safe mode 'while I still can'--the thing is, I don't stay at my computer while it's booting up, I just come to back to my computer after it's supposed to be booted to find the message saying that 'startup repair' is attempting to repair my computer, then it gives me a window giving me the restore point option and so far it always fixes the problem. I'm not even sure what would happen if I said 'no' to that option, but the computer wouldn't start, I'm sure. 

My computer takes a long time to boot up and I don't want to sit there every day for weeks waiting to see if the problem will happen again, but even if I did catch it having the problem I don't know if it actually gives me the option of going into safe more before it starts 'start up repair.' (I'm guessing that it doesn't since it goes into startup repair by itself, but I dont' really know) If it did I could do the uninstall of Avast by your directions and then try to reboot my computer in normal mode and see if Avast was the problem??? 

I don't know much about computers and I get confused easily, as you see.  For instance when you talked about doing a 'memory dump' I have no idea what that is.

thanks again

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
I don't mean for you to wait on every boot. I mean to "tap" the "F8" key several times during the boot process, so Windows doesn't "completely start. If you press the "F8" key at the correct time, you would see the boot menu, which offers to boot into Safe Mode, among others.

That was my intention when I said "don't wait until you have no other option". I mean, take some "free time", Download the mentioned utilities and installation setup files, manually boot into Safe Mode, and take care of the potential problem in advance.

But, if the problem is not really in Avast, I can't really say if all this trouble would actually pay off :(. I guess the only way is to try it (with patience and "free time", so not to rush things into more problems).

vpn21

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »
I too have had problem with this. Vista SP2. Avast 6 free with latest updates. Frequently does not boot up. Have to switch off, restart and allow it to repair. Started last Autumn. Has been doing this frequently. I could not think of a reason why. Also recently noticed Avast was disabled after the repair process, seemingly by the repair process itself.

I uninstalled Avast 6 using uninstall utility - ran it in Safe Mode. Then yesterday I installed earlier version 5.0.594 which was the latest version last summer, which was before the problem started last Autumn. I will see what happens - so far so good.

Liz

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 03:52:12 AM »
I don't mean for you to wait on every boot. I mean to "tap" the "F8" key several times during the boot process, so Windows doesn't "completely start. If you press the "F8" key at the correct time, you would see the boot menu, which offers to boot into Safe Mode, among others.

That was my intention when I said "don't wait until you have no other option". I mean, take some "free time", Download the mentioned utilities and installation setup files, manually boot into Safe Mode, and take care of the potential problem in advance.

But, if the problem is not really in Avast, I can't really say if all this trouble would actually pay off :(. I guess the only way is to try it (with patience and "free time", so not to rush things into more problems).

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Yes, patience and 'free time'--and 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.'  Not being good with computers I wonder about inadvertently creating more problems trying to fix a problem that might not even be the cause.  Still may try your idea at some point if I get brave enough.

thanks again

Liz

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
I too have had problem with this. Vista SP2. Avast 6 free with latest updates. Frequently does not boot up. Have to switch off, restart and allow it to repair. Started last Autumn. Has been doing this frequently. I could not think of a reason why. Also recently noticed Avast was disabled after the repair process, seemingly by the repair process itself.

I uninstalled Avast 6 using uninstall utility - ran it in Safe Mode. Then yesterday I installed earlier version 5.0.594 which was the latest version last summer, which was before the problem started last Autumn. I will see what happens - so far so good.

Months of occasional searches on the internet, and you're the first person I find who has had this problem.

I have wondered if there is some conflict with a Windows update.  Also there are just a few updates I didn't allow, have also wondered if that could cause this.  Really just guessing.

Liz

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »

Just had this problem again for the first time since my last post.  Just wondering if you did, too, since our problems seem to have started about the same time, and we seem to have had similar experience before you reverted to an earlier Avast.  I am still using the latest version.

doesnotkompute

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem with a Toshiba laptop which started right after an Avast update (I let this stupid startup repair box run for an hour).  I will try to post a solution if I find it, or wait for someone to reply with a solution or idea.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:31:13 PM by doesnotkompute »

bobo1

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »
Have you tried malware bytes free to check your computer for spyware?.
also how much ram is installed in the laptop?

Windows vista is old before xp came out and is riddled with bugs, xp came out after and is better.
web site oldapps dot com is good to get older version of avast to use.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »
Have you tried malware bytes free to check your computer for spyware?.
also how much ram is installed in the laptop?

Windows vista is old before xp came out and is riddled with bugs, xp came out after and is better. (italics mine, mchain)
web site oldapps dot com is good to get older version of avast to use.
Sorry, but it was DOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win Me, NT, Win 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7, and now Win 8.  For a full historical recap of all Windows versions ever issued, see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

What version of Avast! are you running?  Avast Free, Avast Pro, or AIS?  7.0 what?  What did you update?  Virus definitions or the program itself?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801