Author Topic: Any other disgruntled former Avira users here?  (Read 23931 times)

YoKenny

Re: Any other disgruntled former Avira users here?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »
Wait until end of sepetember and version 12 will be released which would be all new in compare to history of Avira.  ;D
I will NEVER return to Avira! >:(

It trashed my XP Pro system and had to do a complete system rebuild!   :o

You are an Avira Troll and should be banned from the avast! forum! ::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:57:20 AM by YoKenny »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 01:09:54 AM »
You are an Avira Troll and should be banned from the avast! forum!
yea, bad Omid.......then most of us in here is a Malwarebytes troll ...

Nesivos

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
Toolbars like ASK toolbar often install as a separate program.  Skype does this with the Skype toolbar.  When Skype updates it will install the Skype toolbar on your system.  You don't have a choice not to install it.  So when I used Skype I just went in an uninstalled the Skype toolbar after each Skype update.  A real pain for sure.

Tgell

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 02:11:42 AM »
When people install the ask toolbar, they should at least see what the privacy policy is.

http://about.ask.com/en/docs/about/ask_eula.shtml

Toolbar Install. When you install the Toolbar, we assign a unique identification code to your copy of the Toolbar, and such code is written to your computer's registry.

When you access the Web Site through the Toolbar, the Web Site sets a "cookie" that collects information about your use of the Toolbar including the unique identification code of your Toolbar, the queries you submit through the Toolbar, your IP address, and whether you clicked on search results or advertising links. When you start your browser, the Toolbar also sends a configuration request which also includes your computer's IP address, browser type, and information about the specific release date and distribution source of your Toolbar. This information allows Ask.com to distinguish your Toolbar for purposes of compensating third parties who distribute its products and to analyze retention and usage on an aggregated basis. Such "cookies" and configuration settings are reset every 24 hours, but the information collected is stored in a query log for up to six months. For more information on the use of cookies and on how to block or remove them, please see the Ask Privacy Policy at

http://about.ask.com/en/docs/about/privacy.shtml.

How long we keep data about you
    * We anonymize your search queries after 18 months, unless government authorities request otherwise.
    * Cookies and configuration settings in connection with our toolbars are reset every 24 hours, but the information collected is stored in a query log for up to six months.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
I've been first one who tested Avira (Beta) with Toolbar and so I've been first person who said "Don't do it!" to the management team. same goes about Uniblue, But I don't know what's the secret money or any other kind of support which they did not mind and did not get rid of Ask Toolbar
Stupidity rules... Go Avira, go for toolbars and Uniblue ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:43 AM »
You don't have a choice not to install it.
I always saw this option. Was it removed in the very last version? ???

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
I will NEVER return to Avira! >:(
No one force you to do!

It trashed my XP Pro system and had to do a complete system rebuild!   :o
I've never seen, Avira is one of top quality security software, there should be a mistake by Yourself

You are an Avira Troll and should be banned from the avast! forum! ::)
Go on! Come on ban me! everyone who talk and share info about another security software it troll so most of users should be banned as they are troll, you are too  :D
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

n01clueless

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Omid

As I said before, For someone who claims to be close to the Avira team and the first beta tester of the toolbar, you seem remarkably ignorant.

You stated that Avira had never detected the Ask toolbar as malware. When I demonstrated that it had, quoting Avira's COO, you then said this was probably an older version, despite previously saying that Avira had NEVER detected Ask as malware.

You also seem completely unaware that, even if you choose not to install the Ask toolbar, you still have three of its files in the Avira folder which 'phone home' on every reboot (see my post yesterday or Tgell's post above), something that Avira keep very quiet about and something that's not easy to rectify. If you don't regard this as a problem then I would suggest you are in a fairly small minority.

However, unlike some, I don't think you should be banned. In fact, I would protest if you were. So long as people are not offensive, anyone should be allowed to criticize or praise any product here, something you're not able to do on the Avira forums (mention Ask or Uniblue and see how long your thread lasts).

It is far better for you to be permitted to display your ignorance and nonsense than for you to be prevented from doing so.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
Guys, while I appreciate your preference to use avast over Avira, I don't think this forum is an appropriate place to bash a competing product. We may disagree with some of the decisions made by the Avira team recently but it's still a very good AV and deserves some respect.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

n01clueless

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
No Avira bashing from me, just legitimate and understandable concerns in my view. Whether respect is still deserved is also highly debatable.

Cassy

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »
Skype does this with the Skype toolbar.  When Skype updates it will install the Skype toolbar on your system.  You don't have a choice not to install it.  So when I used Skype I just went in an uninstalled the Skype toolbar after each Skype update.  A real pain for sure.
I am not suggesting that people automatically disable automatic updates on any or all software, but I think that it is a good idea that people first think about whether they should enable automatic updates for each program for which it's available, and then decide what to do.  (In fact, I'm generally in favor of thinking, as opposed to automatically doing what everyone else does.)

For many, many reasons, I leave Skype's automatic update system turned off.  Among other reasons, I have found that Skype often add functions which I do not want or need but which keeps Skype from working properly on my sometimes ancient hardware and ancient browsers.  These new functions sometimes interfere with other software as well.  Unlike the case with some other programs, I have never heard it claimed that one should keep Skype updating enabled for security reasons.

I am on Skype 3.8, which I believe is by far the best version for me.  Skype itself is on 5.5.

But once again, I feel that the generality is more important than the specific instance.  It is often better to think before making things automatic.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks.
C.

Cassy

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
I don't think this forum is an appropriate place to bash a competing product. We may disagree with some of the decisions made by the Avira team recently but it's still a very good AV and deserves some respect.
Vlk,

I am far from agreeing with everything you say and do, and far from agreeing with everything that Avast! says and does, but you do have class, i.e., style.

Keep up the good work!

T
C

MrSafe

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
I used Avira AntiVir for 7 years and thought it was the best. In fact, looking back I still think it was the best for most of that time from what I understand. It was starting to irritate me a bit with nags and a lack of options in the settings. I didn't have any of the toolbar/Uniblue issues, but when they did that it made me wonder whether I really should put my faith in them. Companies rarely worry about losing a handful of customers so we should stick together at times like that.

I tried Microsoft Security Essentials only to find that when installed it could not detect an internet connection, even with my firewall disabled! It would not run until updated and you cannot even enter the configuration until it has updated, so it did absolutely nothing!

Last year I was given a complimentary copy of Norton 360, which is still in the cellophane wrapper where it belongs!

I read poor reviews about AVG and Panda, but haven't tried them yet.

Now I am having privacy issues with Avast (I started a thread about it on this forum).

Now I don't think there is a 'best' antivirus so much as a 'least bad' one! That said, I think if you block Avast's privacy issues with a firewall and switch off certain features so that it can only do what you want it to, then it's the best.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:50:54 AM by MrSafe »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
Besides detection rates (from time to time), really, what Avira is better than avast?
Forum? Shields? Update scheme and number of available servers? Interface? Configurability?
Vlk, we all know that we don't need to bash anyone...

Nesivos

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »
You don't have a choice not to install it.
I always saw this option. Was it removed in the very last version? ???

I was of course referring to Skype when I said there is no option not to install the Skype toolbar,  I was also referring only to the Skype updates where it just re-installs the toolbar if you have previously uninstalled it without asking if you want to reinstall it.  I don't remember with respect to the initial install of Skype.  I also don't recall what version of Skype this was or is happening on.  I can tell you that my Skype application was up to date when I uninstalled the whole thing a month or two ago.