Author Topic: Will an improper shutdown harm my computer?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Will an improper shutdown harm my computer?
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
Just now I kinda switched off my PC by mistake with my feet...I kinda pressed the main power button off...

I was wondering if this will result in any security problem. Will there be any corruption in Windows XP? How do I verify the integrity of my XP files?

Thanks in advance  ;)

Edit:

Since I use Avast, I was wondering, if it will harm any of my real time security softwares since they are always running....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:41:59 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Will an improper shutdown harm my computer?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
1. I was wondering if this will result in any security problem. Will there be any corruption in Windows XP? How do I verify the integrity of my XP files?

2. Since I use Avast, I was wondering, if it will harm any of my real time security softwares since they are always running....

1. Usually: No. :) If windows finds any errors, it will try to correct them.
2. I doubt that, but you can check, if all shields are on and avast is working ok.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
You're fine because you are up & running.
I would love to have a £1 for everytime I have rebooted using the button, since windows 95

You can check anytime your file structure if you want to, copy & paste the links below in run & click ok.

Chkdsk

sfc /scannow

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
Chkdsk

You need to do a full reboot with this one so you can go to c drive right click, properties Tools, Check now Tick box Automatically fix file system errors, pop up window say yes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Well... problems on file system could happen.
I suggest running
chkdsk /R
after the power off.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
The XP OS isn't so much the issue of corruption, but the Hard Disk file format, NTFS or FAT32. In early builds of XP or updates from earlier versions it used FAT32, which isn't as resilient as NTFS for preventing corruption on these power off shutdowns.

Buy a small UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which is great for protection against power spikes and power outs. If you hit the mains power switch the UPS takes over and you can simply switch the main power back on. In the UK where I am we have lots of thunderstorms and power outs and my UPS allows me to save what I was doing and shut down the system cleanly in the event of a power out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
Only corruption that can happen is because of the data inside memory, be it RAM or HDD cache. If data written is incomplete or lost entirely, you can corrupt partitions or files. Or even make system unbootable in rare cases. If possible, shut it off properly, but in general from a hardware perspective, it doesn't really matter.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »
Only corruption that can happen is because of the data inside memory, be it RAM or HDD cache. If data written is incomplete or lost entirely, you can corrupt partitions or files. Or even make system unbootable in rare cases. If possible, shut it off properly, but in general from a hardware perspective, it doesn't really matter.

+1 to that.

Always "try" to shut down properly.  I've had a few that were taking too long and I was being impatient so I shut them off by holding the power button.  A not so nice surprise was waiting for me when the machine was turned back on again.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
This is what you don't want to see, I have had a couple of these & that's with a normal shut down.

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

But my old faithful Norton Recovery disc replaces the file.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
The XP OS isn't so much the issue of corruption, but the Hard Disk file format, NTFS or FAT32. In early builds of XP or updates from earlier versions it used FAT32, which isn't as resilient as NTFS for preventing corruption on these power off shutdowns.

Buy a small UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which is great for protection against power spikes and power outs. If you hit the mains power switch the UPS takes over and you can simply switch the main power back on. In the UK where I am we have lots of thunderstorms and power outs and my UPS allows me to save what I was doing and shut down the system cleanly in the event of a power out.

I take that UPS idea. I guess I will get one myself.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Yup, sometimes XPs refuse to shut down even after an hour. So I also hard press the power button to shut it down.

But I am more worried about my real time security softwares. Don't they run in the memory?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
You're welcome.

I have had my Belkin one for around 6 years and it has saved my a** on many occasions. I really need to get a new battery for it (they say replace after three years), but it is almost cheaper to get a new unit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
You're welcome.

I have had my Belkin one for around 6 years and it has saved my a** on many occasions. I really need to get a new battery for it (they say replace after three years), but it is almost cheaper to get a new unit.

Absolutely agree with that advise. I have UPS's on all main systems (and on my home theater equipment).

As for the battery prices, I'll agree as well, but I think they do that just to keep sales up.  However, you can usually find battery replacements at local battery warehouses.  You just need to call them up or visit the store with the battery so they can cross reference the numbers.

I've been enjoying CyberPower UPS's lately.  I purchased a few TrippLite UPS's that were horrible.  If you want a decent UPS for around $100, take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102132

Actually, Amazon has it cheaper, but the shipping cost may be higher: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N192/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

hurricane1

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:20:50 AM »
I have had power failures shut down my computer when I was in the middle of things. Never had a problem restarting. Of course, I am connected to a surge protector.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:43:33 PM by hurricane1 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
I have had power failures shut down my computer when I was in the middle of things. Never had a problem restarting. Of course, I am connected to a surge protector.

All I can say to that is you've been lucky.  Surge protectors don't protect you from brownouts...