Author Topic: ASHSERV.EXE IS SPYWARE!!  (Read 10699 times)

user811

ASHSERV.EXE IS SPYWARE!!
« on: October 30, 2004, 09:36:24 PM »
WHY IS THERE SPY WARE IN MY AVAST4  did avast update me to a new adware infected piece of crap that is always writing to my HDD so that it wont scan disc? WTF IS UP ???? ???

papm

Re:ASHSERV.EXE IS SPYWARE!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 09:41:05 PM »
There's absolutely no spyware in Avast. Get rid of your Pest Patrol or whatever similar rubbish you are using.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 10:01:17 PM »
Pest Patrol is really a peace of junk. I mean do they check false positives at all? I checked with it once and it marked half of my legitim programs as spyware.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

user811

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 10:04:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply sir! :D  I am using adAware 6  and spybot s&d   and the path to ASHSERV.EXE is:

C:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4  

is ASHSERV.EXE part of avast? if it is, how do i get it to stop writing to my HDD or should I let it do it's job and then it will quit?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 10:14:22 PM by user811 »

user811

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »
Ok I looked in the avast4 dir. and lots of files are ash***  so i guess it is part of avast... ( you guys knew that)
I searched in google under ASHSERV.EXE and the first thing i see is   "ASHSERV.EXE is spyware"  so i stopped it from connecting to the internet (through Zone alarm) and ran spybot S&D thinking i cleaned it out.  It does not show up in ZA programs and i tryed to add it so that i could alow it but its stiil not there. If it needs to use the internet thats fine, i just want to use my PC with out it telling me Im not connected to the internet or using up my bandwidth.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:04:30 AM »
user811,

Firstly, the language used on this forum should be suitable.  Your immediate "inflammatory remarks" (modified text from earlier post) of Avast were not necessary.

Ashserv.exe is a file which Avast uses as part of its' functionality, and allows the user access to scanner functions and also assists in the ability to check for update/s to the vps database files and program via the systray.  If you were to "open" the ashserv.exe file manually, you would see an additional instance of A and I ball icons in the tray.

It is necessary for Avast to write to the hard drive or wherever Avast folder is located.

Avast contains NO spyware or malware of any kind.

Some anti-spyware programs of which one was mentioned, will report Avast as spyware.  This is not true and are most definetly false positives.

Adaware and Spybot S and D are good programs, but be cautious of removing all the listed files in the Spybot scan.  It sometimes reports necessary files.  Adaware is not known for such nonsense.

Allow Avast to make its connection.  You will be secure.

Good luck. ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 01:33:05 AM by Techie101 »

RJ

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 01:14:22 AM »
Techie, there was no defamation of Avast, sorry, but cool it down or talking like that will scare people off.  Even just as a mod you are seen as representative of the company, surely you should be looking at the problem from his POV and understand the concern he had, instead of claiming defamation

user811, sorry he said that, I can understand your concern and worry, and I wish some people would look at these problems from the POV of the person posting, instead of jumping on them >:(  

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 01:31:10 AM »
RJ,

Your remarks were out of line.  I did nothing wrong.

If I were not looking at the problem, I would not have offered advice.

I commented because of his use of the "WTF" and reference to Avast "crap".

How about I change the word defamation to inflammatory?  Would that make you feel better?

It IS MY RESPONSIBILITY as a Mod to guide new users in the proper conduct and behavior here, and I did.

Your action were unwarranted and cast a shadow on my good intentions which were clearly shown by my ending remarks to user811:

"Good Luck  ;D"

Enough goes on around here normally to contend with.  I don't think it is advisable to start reading more into things than are present in actuality.   ;)

Lets stay with the CONTENT of this thread so both of us can help him.  Ok?

RJ

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 01:49:18 AM »
no my comments weren't out of line, yours were.

This person came to the forum with what he thought was a genuine concern, and the reply from you was out of line.

Try looking at it from his point of view ok.  This person, who might not know much about computers is representative of computer users on a whole.  He had a genuine concern and was worried, I think his language shows just how worried he was.  You should of picked up on that, and replied to just the question to ease his mind, rather than proclaim defamation

conazus

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 01:51:09 AM »
ummm sorry for butting in but wouldnt it serve the users better here if this was done privately???    

Negeltu

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 02:43:21 AM »
You won't give support??  People make mistakes you know...  Geeze.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 05:07:11 AM »
Is there any problem to solve/help here?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 04:04:24 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 05:40:58 AM »
Technical,

I think Eddy confused me with you.  He fixed it   ;D

I hope the "problem" is over.   ???

We will see.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 05:42:57 AM by Techie101 »

nadirah

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 07:18:55 AM »
Avast contains spyware?

Get the facts right before you say that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
Avast contains spyware?

Get the facts right before you say that.

No, definetively not. Sure they're false alarms whatever program detects it.
I use Ad-aware, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot, PestPatrol and Bazooka. Nothing  :)
The best things in life are free.