Author Topic: web browsing performance of free version is better than paid version  (Read 2232 times)

foofah32

The free version of Avast was working fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 system. Guilted by the occasional nag screen, I paid to upgrade to Avast Internet Security, after which Firefox started to become unresponsive (briefly) on every web page except those which are textual in nature and very basic. I've rebooted routers, network switches, etc., hoping they were slowing me down but it appears to me that browsing problems began the day I upgraded.

Tips on what to disable to speed up browsing would be appreciated. The only unusual software on my system is Apache web server, PHP, MySQL. AMD Phenom II 955, 8 gigs memory, fast computer, but browsing speed has gone to hell.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:46:38 AM by foofah32 »

Gargamel360

Re: web browsing performance of free version is better than paid version
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:25 AM »
Something probably went awry with the over-the-top upgrade, then.

Give her a clean re-install.

Download a new setup file of AIS, and this>>http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility, save both to desktop.
Uninstall your Avast! normally via control panel.
Run the Uninstall Utility according to the instructions on the page you downloaded it from.
Lastly run the new setup file, install AIS, then reboot again.

foofah32

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
BANG! A clean install fixed the problem with slow browsing. I'm guessing these instructions were displayed somewhere when upgrading, and that I probably blew past them and failed to pay attention.

PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer). Thanks.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
I'm guessing these instructions were displayed somewhere when upgrading, and that I probably blew past them and failed to pay attention.
No, you didn't miss anything.  Over-the-top upgrade should work (and usually does) but a few go wrong here and there.
Thanks.
Your welcome, enjoy.