Author Topic: 2 strange items in startup  (Read 11784 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 2 strange items in startup
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »
I rather doubt that the connection speed are related, if there was a problem I would have though it would be an all or nothing issue.

After some windows security updates, Autoplay/run were disabled to prevent the autorun.inf style infections on infected USBs. Though I don't know if there would also be a setting in combofix that would be related.

Unfortunately it will be a few hours before essexboy is back from work and able to get on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

presario

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »
Hi Bluemeanie,
with reference to the strange entries in msconfig/startup.  I had the same thing a few months ago.
HKCU/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/Currentversion/Windows  Load and Run.  (with box symbols).

They turned out to be harmless.  They appeared just after I upgraded MBAM to version 1.50 on
2 of my PCs.  A few other people had the same problem and it was discussed on another Forum.
I can PM the link to You (and give You more details) if You want it, just let me know. 
I didn't post it here - I don't know if that is allowed.

Regards,
Presario

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
You can#'t use the PM function until you have 20 posts, an anti-spam measure. If the link is to the mbam forums then I don't see any problem.

However, there is no certainty that this is exactly the same, as it could just as easily be for something else.

I have had MBAM Pro on two systems for some time and I don't see any such blank/Box like startup entry in either system XP/win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

presario

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
Hi DavidR,
Thanks for your reply and advice about PMs.  I agree, it could be totally unconnected, but here's the link anyway.   http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=70243
There's another link at the bottom of that actual topic to a thread which goes into more detail.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
Yes, this is quite an old topic Dec 1010, certainly in security terms and it also point to the fact that it could also be other things. So If the OP is using the latest MBAM 1.51.1 I would say it is likely to be unrelated.

But the topic (second link) does go into detail in how to remove these blank/Box character entries.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
Did you get the stop error that ipnat displayed ?

Combofix does disable the autorun settings - would you like them restore ?

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »
Only I could do this, yes, I wrote down the error that was on the BSOD, then this morning like an idiot I threw that piece of paper away. So, if it does it again, I'll write it down and stick it in my pocket!

For now I can leave the autorun disabled. I kind of like autoplay, but better to have them both the same. Nice to know tho that it was Combofix that did that.

Any ideas on MBRCheck? It's not a big deal, more curiosity than anything.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Not really - like all programmes sometimes they just fail to work properly for an unknown reason

However as aswMBR is reporting a good copy then it is not really required

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
Glad to know others had this problem too. Wonder why I didn't find that when I was trying to find the cause?

I normally don't use msconfig so I really can't say when they were put in there, I know they didn't show in autoruns (that's what I normally use), so that alone concerned me. Then the fact that unticking them resulted in more of them threw up all kinds of red flags to me.

Yes, Malwarebytes 1.5.1 is what I'm using, I keep that and whatever AV I'm using current, currently Avast and looks to me like that's the one I'll stay with for awhile. Now if SuperAntiSpyware would auto notify me of new versions...

Oh, in case you're wondering, I do full scans about at least once a month and then clone the drive.

presario

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
I use Autoruns now too, after I had the problems with msconfig and the strange entries (someone recommended it at the MBAM Forum).

I also use Avast, Malwarebytes 1.51.1. and SuperAntispyware 5.0.
I've had no problems since I got rid of those entries, but I never did find out what caused them.
No Malware was detected by any Scans.

I hope You get your PC sorted.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
Once you are happy let me know and I will remove my rubbish  ;D

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
Rubbish he says, lol. Well, now is as good as time as any. Then I can get this thing cloned and install the lastest Windows updates. Oh and go back to trying to figure out what firewall I want to put on this thing.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Start OTS. Copy/Paste the information in the quotebox below into the panel where it says "Paste fix here" and then click the Run Fix button.

Code: [Select]

[Custom Items]
:files
ipconfig /flushdns /c
:end
[Empty Temp Folders]
[EmptyFlash]
[CreateRestorePoint]
[ClearAllRestorePoints]

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
     (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

• Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled
Run OTS and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 
We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.
SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »
Thanks again Essexboy, everyone else too. Now, go enjoy a cold beverage of your choice.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
Sluuuurp  ;D