Author Topic: Beta4.5 Install and Email Client Settings  (Read 6451 times)

gondarr

Beta4.5 Install and Email Client Settings
« on: November 02, 2004, 06:08:40 AM »
I searched for this question but couldn't find anything so if it's out there sorry ....

I noticed that when I installed beta4.5 using the server.def file, while the install appeard to work without trouble, the mailscan config settings were not restored - by that I mean that I had to manually reconfigure the mail client settings by replacing the 127.0.0.1 and the username with the standard entries. The result being that when I went to collect my email shortly after, it wouldn't work, and it took me a minute or two before I realized what the problem was.

Should the upgrade install not handle this? or at least notify the user that the configuration needs to be changed?

thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Beta4.5 Install and Email Client Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:43:14 AM »
To answer, we'll need a bit more info:

1. What is your OS?
2. What mail client are you using?
3. Did you configure your mail client to use avast manually, or was it reconfigured by the Mail Protection Wizard? (I mean back in the days you were installing version 4.0/4.1).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gondarr

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »
My apologies for leaving out "the details" ...

I am running WinXP SP2, and I am using thunderbird v0.8 (milestone) as my email client.

When I had originally installed avast home, I had used the mail config wizard,  however, recently I decided to reinstall my XP, and, knowing how it worked, I just did it manually. Though I am certain that I had later rerun the mail config wizard to automatically protect all new accounts (I don't know how well that integrates with tbird). But I do recall from way back that when I ran the mail config wizard it found my tbird settings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 07:00:24 PM »
I am running WinXP SP2, and I am using thunderbird v0.8 (milestone) as my email client.

When I install the 4.5 beta my OE account were integrated (changed) with the new mail protection. But this did not happen with my Thunderbird ones. I had to change them manually. In both cases I was using Spamihilator as spam killer. So, the OE accounts were changed but the Thunderbird ones were not even touched  :P
The best things in life are free.

gondarr

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 08:08:56 PM »
just a suggestion ...

would it be a big deal to somehow show a message box during/after install, stating that if you have manually config'd your email settings that they need to be changed?

For people like me (techno-geeks!:), it's not too hard to figure out, but if an average user had it fixed up by his tg friend, they will at least have an idea that something needs to be fixed, instead of calling me in a panic about their email not working (granted they'll probably do that anyway but ...!!)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »
just a suggestion ...

would it be a big deal to somehow show a message box during/after install, stating that if you have manually config'd your email settings that they need to be changed?

For people like me (techno-geeks!:), it's not too hard to figure out, but if an average user had it fixed up by his tg friend, they will at least have an idea that something needs to be fixed, instead of calling me in a panic about their email not working (granted they'll probably do that anyway but ...!!)

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll say more: it's very good to annouce this into iNews of the next release but, like you say, not just few words but explain this there  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 09:37:28 PM »
While the thing you're describing is a good idea - unfortunately it's too late for this. The reason is that there's no time to translate this info to all the supported languages... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 09:44:59 PM »
While the thing you're describing is a good idea - unfortunately it's too late for this. The reason is that there's no time to translate this info to all the supported languages... :-\

The iNews are only in English  :P

franciozzy

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:17:48 AM »
Hi, I'm new to avast! and to this forum.

As far as I read, I realized the 4.5 version should scan the mail traffic acting as a sniffer or something (we don't need to set avast! as a proxy with the 127.0.0.1 trick).

I use WinXP SP2 and Becky! as mail client (www.rimarts.co.jp).

Well, the Mail Protection Wizard have not found any mail account on my system, so I configured it manually.

The thing is that I still have to use the 127.0.0.1 trick, continuing with the same problem I had with the 4.1 version: smtp authentication.

My ISP requires SMTP AUTH to be turned on. On Becky!, I can leave the SMTP user and pass blanks, so the client will use the same u/p configured to the pop3 account. The deal is that my pop3 username is: "abcd#pop3.isp.com", and avast! doesn't filters out the string after the hash when "64 basing" the user and password for smtp auth.

What am I doing wrong or have not understand about the 127.0.0.1 configuration ?

gondarr

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:44:48 AM »
on winxp, you don't need to conifg your email client with 127.0.0.1 ... set it up as you normally would.

the scanning is done by a Windows Service. Open task manager and look for ashmaisv.exe - that tells you that the mail scanner is functioning - if it's not there, check Control Panel | Admin Tools | Services and you should see 3 (three) avast entries all set to start automatically ... correct that, my ashmaisv.exe is set to start manually, but it is already started so I assume it doesn't start until you first check your email after login, or it is started by one of the other avast services.

Somewhere in the avast config is a setting to show a tray icon when mail is being scanned, but it only shows for a few seconds. Do a send and receive, and you will see it displayed in your system tray.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 12:46:09 AM by gondarr »

franciozzy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 01:00:10 AM »
Confirming that ashMaiSv.exe is running, but there are only 2 services:
- avast! Antivirus
- avast! iAVS4 Control Service

Both set to start automatically.

And about that icon, what happens is that if I set the mail accounts to connect directly to the mail servers, the icon doesn't appears. That's why I believe the av is not working without the 127.0.0.1 configuration.

Another thing I've noticed: I've updated with the servers.def file, but when looking inside the avast! interface, I click on Menu, About avast!..., and I see:
Build: Jun2004 (4.1.501)

Have I really updated to 4.5 ?!?!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 01:09:30 AM »
Felipe, welcome to avast forums.

I think the best you can do is download the version 4.5 Beta because, like you said, it uses a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists and then update avast to 4.5 version. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages.

Instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8044;start=0

Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 02:33:53 AM by Technical »

franciozzy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 02:04:32 AM »
Ahan!

In fact, my previous attempt of updating avast! have failed. I don't
know why, because some things seemed to have been updated,
but this time I saw a large file (about 6 MB) being updated, which
I'm certainly have not happened the last time.

Now I've successfully configured my mail to connect directly to my mail servers and it worked great! I think I finally found an AV software that fit my needs!

Thanks!

gondarr

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 03:59:07 AM »
Felipe - I recalled this after my previous post ... the setting to show the tray icon is configured in the avast.ini file - if you look in the avast! 4 Home/Pro forum, near the top is a sticky called "Understanding avast4.ini file" this will show, amongst MANY others, how to set the tray icon to show (it's far down the page, so do a page search for "showtrayicon")

also, now that all seems to be working for you, your services list should show 3 avast services - correct?

happy virus catching  ;D

franciozzy

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 04:28:37 AM »
Hmm... I mentioned that the tray icon wasn't appearing because I had
previously configured it to appear. That was my reason to believe that
the mail scan was not working... (in fact, it wasn't  :P)
Thanks for the tip on the INI file guide, I'll take a look at it later on!

Yes, now there are 3 services there.