Author Topic: Scary problem with avast relay  (Read 6483 times)

bbell2000

Scary problem with avast relay
« on: October 22, 2004, 02:23:28 AM »
I just happened to notice that I didn't receive any email for several hours.  When I checked the server,, there were 50 emails stuck in qmail's queue and I couldn't get the queue to flush.  Then I noticed that avastrelay wasn't running.  So I started it.  It ran for a minute or so and died.  I started it again and it seems to be functioning as all email is getting delivered.

But I really need to figure out what's making it shut itself down.  There are no messages whatsoever in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages or /var/log/avast4/avastrelay.

My startup switches are:

--server-ip 172.16.1.3:725 --client-ip 172.16.1.3:825 --avast-interface /var/run/avast4mailscanner.sock --log-file /var/log/avast4/avastrelay --user avrelay --timeout 60 --remote-clients

Can someone please give me a clue as to what might be wrong?

Thanks.

bbell2000

Re:Scary problem with avast relay
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:23:10 AM »
I still don't know what's causing the problem -- it just happened again, but I have more information.  It appears that avast is incompatible with logrotate.  I have no idea why everything worked so well for the last month... but avastrelay simply chose to shut itself down shortly after 4:00AM two days in a row.  I have the logs set to rotate daily and the rotation occurs at that time.  This also appears to be the root cause of my log problem... e.g., when the shutdown occurs, all of my logs get truncated and I lose my history.

I've disabled log rotation for the moment... but ny insight as to how I can fix this problem would be a big help.

Dublin

Re:Scary problem with avast relay
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »
thanks for comment. it will be fix.