Author Topic: Windows system directory  (Read 29769 times)

Omar

Re:Windows system directory
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2004, 04:57:00 PM »
Hi Omar,

a) forget about MoveonBoot
b) if you know how to get to the command-line of the recoveryConsole, and really know what you're doing there, and have recent backups AND your XP-CD AND driver- & program-installation files/CDs AND are not averse to totally setting up your machine from scratch (OR have a recent IMAGE)  AND.. AND..
then try typing there at the prompt:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altnet" /v /f  [ENTER]
  or
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altnet" /v /f [ENTER]
(like it says in eddy's link)

b) Otherwise:
- ignore it, if your PC works ok, and AV/Spyware-Scanner don't find any other malicious regKeys/files  or
- reread your Threads and follow all advice & use all offered tools.. or
- try to delete the Altnet-regkey by removing altnet software entries via a regCleaner or
- use Avast's BART-CD to edit the registry (see avast homepage; most of the reservations from b) still apply)

;)

thanks a lot, registry cleaner, looks very hopeful.

Question: if reg cleaner fails to remove "altnet" does command prompt, definately remove reg keys?

whocares

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2004, 08:34:23 PM »
does command prompt, definately remove reg keys?

a) ask Bill, Merlin or Zarathustra
b) a normal Command-Prompt probably not (if it's locked/protected in WIN), but the Command-Prompt in the RECOVERYConsole should be a bit more powerful (also has more wreckage potential)

I still don't see why want to try a potentially dangerous and/or useless approach to this issue rather than
- following specific removal instructions
- using tools
- or ignore it if no other signs point to infection (P.S.: is it just an empty (?)  key ? or what's contained in it.. ?

but:
- no risk no fun!  &
- on your own head be it..
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 08:38:12 PM by whocares »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2004, 01:07:45 AM »
Omar
You can go HERE for both an explanation and a place to download the program.
Hope that helps. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Omar

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2004, 10:18:23 AM »
I ran reg cleaner last night night, the altnet registry key is still there in regedit and adaware still picks it up.

I then tried the command prompt, by typing in:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altnet" /v /f  [ENTER]
  or
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altnet" /v /f [ENTER]

the 1st command gave "the system was unable to find the specified reg key or value"

the 2nd command gave a error message

whocares

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2004, 11:11:40 AM »
1)
I ran reg cleaner last night night,

2)
I then tried the command prompt, by typing in:

3)
the 2nd command gave a error message

@1) Well you need to find and remove Altnet via the SOFTWARE-list in RegCleaner

@2) command prompt form where.. ? normal from Win, or after bootign from XP-Setup-CD and going to Console ?

@3) and the error was.. ?

Omar

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2004, 11:24:51 AM »
1st of all can i check, am i using the correct reg cleaner. I used:

http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html

I used deep scan and

it found just over 1000 items, which it identified as problems, i fixed all of them, and made a backup before deleting.

So if altent was in the list, it should have been fixed.

I used command prompt in windows.

I don`t have a XP cd, i only have a computer reload cd.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 11:26:16 AM by Omar »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2004, 12:07:43 PM »
You spent so much of your precious time on (sad to say - futile) fixing of this issue. And still no results...

My advice - of course it's kinda hard to think of it right now, but when nothing helps... Backup your important data (documents, pictures, text files, favorites, everything that you need badly), or even better make a Ghost image of whole partition on a second partition. It will be just one huge backup image file. Of course if you are not familiar with Ghost, then you should stick with manually copying your documents and data to some safe location (other than your primary partition, because you're gonna need it to reinstall everything). Then format your C: partition, reinstall Windows from the scratch, nice and patiently. Copy your documents and files from location where you backed them up. Of course, worst thing of all is to reinstall all those applications and programs you had before, but what can you do when nothing helps ?

Sometimes there is nothing else left then to do that... well, it's not the end of the world... at least you're going to clean your system completely.

Most important thing after everything is done - antivirus, firewall, and of course finally, install some good anti-spyware tools on your system. And, when I say anti-spyware, and don't mean spyware cleaners (you see in your case ? sometimes they can not help much, it's always better to prevent than to cure), but something that will keep your system protected at all times... something that will run in background and keep your PC safe and protected non-stop... something like SpySweeper or something similar.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 12:10:27 PM by S.Z.C »

whocares

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2004, 02:34:17 PM »
1)
it found just over 1000 items, which it identified as problems, i fixed all of them, and made a backup before deleting.

2)

3)

1) You probably just Cleaned out useless empty Regkeys pointing to non-existing files or so; nice but not the point we need ...
-> read program help/docu again, or:

Go to "Software"-listing with this RegCleaner:
http://www.capetechsupport.com/files/RegCleaner.exe
and try and remove ALTNET listings there
(in SAFEMODE !! and
1. as the REAL Administrator" plus
2. as main-Adminuser)

2) No, this won't affect ALTNET at all, if it's files remain -> see extensive file-listings by others

3) probably no-go there in WIN, and probably for a reason.
Ask vendor or read docu on your PC/XP-Manual if & how you can access Revovery-Console with this CD

@S.Z.C.: why an Image if he backups unwanted stuff with this ?
Normal databackup & maybe exporting/saving settings, mails,bookmarks etc would be imho better
and just for this, i don't see the need to format

I'd still like to see an AV/SpywareSCAN-Report about actual files lurking on the disk

_/\/\/\/\__--> *That's-me-retreating-from-this-futile-stuff-now* ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 02:38:00 PM by whocares »

Omar

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2004, 03:11:50 PM »
1)

2)

3)

1) You probably just Cleaned out useless empty Regkeys pointing to non-existing files or so; nice but not the point we need ...
-> read program help/docu again, or:

Go to "Software"-listing with this RegCleaner:
http://www.capetechsupport.com/files/RegCleaner.exe
and try and remove ALTNET listings there
(in SAFEMODE !! and
2. as main-Adminuser)

2) No, this won't affect ALTNET at all, if it's files remain -> see extensive file-listings by others

3) probably no-go there in WIN, and probably for a reason.
Ask vendor or read docu on your PC/XP-Manual if & how you can access Revovery-Console with this CD

Normal databackup & maybe exporting/saving settings, mails,bookmarks etc would be imho better

I'd still like to see an AV/SpywareSCAN-Report about actual files lurking on the disk

_/\/\/\/\__--> *That's-me-retreating-from-this-futile-stuff-now* ;)

2. as main-Adminuser)

when i go to safe mode.

I have the choice to log in as 1)administrator 2)Colin (he is the one who set up the computer XP).

who should i log in as?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2004, 12:46:09 AM »
whocares wrote:

Because... we, at my company always do that. It's much easier and faster than doing manual backup  ;)

On the other hand, no one said he should restore that image later on freshly installed Windows. When I install Windows from the scratch and I need some personal stuff from my old image file, I use Ghost Explorer. Of course, some people didn't even bother to find out how GE could be useful (not anyone particular, but in general, many people just use Ghost and nothing else, that's why I'm pointing to that). You open your image file, just like some zip file, and you'll see your whole old partition right in front of you. Best of all, you can extract just data you want and need. No one said he has to restore whole image, but it's always good to have it as backup, just in case something goes terribly wrong with his new installation... in that case he can just restore whole partition and - voila  ;) Can't make any worse, he still has those problems, right ?

For example, open your image file in ghost explorer, just go to your IE FAVORITES, mark them all and right click on one of them... choose extract, point to your new FAVORITES directory on your freshly installed partition, and your Explorer is filled with your original Favorites... no need to go through long lasting and sometimes painful job, to make them all over again. Same thing with My Documents, or any other folder on your HD.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 12:49:43 AM by S.Z.C »