Author Topic: how to disable avast free  (Read 10992 times)

4tainer

how to disable avast free
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Hi, i wanto disable Avast to run futurmark 3dmark11 which doesnt work with it, but the only thing the user interface shows to disable is real time sheild. Nothing about disabling the whole program

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: how to disable avast free
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
Right click the ball near the clock and choose disable.

4tainer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
hey Eddy, im using version 6.0.1203 and its not listed
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:45:27 PM by 4tainer »

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
Well, although you also have Avast tray icon -> right click "Silent/Gaming Mode" as one possibility (and remember to undo the setting for "every day use" after the game), I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Eddy's suggestion is:

Look for the Avast tray icon -> right click -> Avast shields control -> Disable for...

Be aware, disabling the shields, you are less protected.

4tainer

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Well, although you also have Avast tray icon -> right click "Silent/Gaming Mode" as one possibility (and remember to undo the setting for "every day use" after the game), I don't think that's what you are looking for.

still havent figure out what silent gaming mode does but dont think its what i need now

Eddy's suggestion is:

Look for the Avast tray icon -> right click -> Avast shields control -> Disable for...

Be aware, disabling the shields, you are less protected.

diabling sheild control doesnt help, I dont know whats wrong with 3dmark11 but been told its avast so wanto find out by disabling the whole program

do i need to uninstall it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
diabling sheild control doesnt help, I dont know whats wrong with 3dmark11 but been told its avast so wanto find out by disabling the whole program

do i need to uninstall it?

No idea, but I wouldn't disable/uninstall my AV for a benchmark test...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Not sure why 3DMark wouldn't work with avast! enabled. Plus i can tell you that avast! doesn't affect the final score or performance.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
For ANY performance test, ANYTHING running can affect the results.

One thing is that a certain (benchmark) program might have some incompatibility with Avast (or with any other AV tool).

A very different thing is that you want to run that (benchmark) program without ANY interference or influence from Avast (or from ANY running program, for that matter). For this second situation (a "lab" test"), you would still have some influence coming from "anything" running (services, drivers, processes...).

So, if you don't want ANY influence (for the purpose of the benchmark), then I'm not sure you can use ANY kind of resident security tool, at all. You either uninstall "anything and everything", or you run your benchmark under Windows Safe Mode (which by itself gives you different results than when running the same benchmark in a "pure and clean" recently installed Windows Normal Mode.

If you could provide a more specific detail information about what is exactly not working or what is "not compatible", then maybe we can help you better.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
I've been benching with avast! in the background and without it a lot in the past and there was no difference at all apart from the error mergin that happens for various other reasons not related to antivirus. Especially ot 3DMark which pretty much copies all the data in memory and executes it there. avast! doesn't really interfer on that part, otherwise you'd have serious problems in games as well. But i haven't noticed any so far in what, 7 years?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
3dmark11 running just fine over here with avast! installed and fully enabled. No performance hit either just as RejZoR says.

Offline Corsair

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
Interesting that no one really has an answer for actually disabling/turning off/exiting avast! free.

It seems there isn't actually a way to turn off avast! free. Yes - you can disable the shields - but that is not the same thing.

I find this a major oversite - and a mistake that should be rectified. A lot of programs allow you the options of disabling individual componenets (in avast! case - the shields) as well as exiting/terminating the program itself.
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
1. Interesting that no one really has an answer for actually disabling/turning off/exiting avast! free.

2. I find this a major oversite - and a mistake that should be rectified. A lot of programs allow you the options of disabling individual componenets (in avast! case - the shields) as well as exiting/terminating the program itself.

1. Not really interesting, imo.
2. Well, it's an AV after all, I don't think that "terminating" an AV should be easy. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Corsair

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
1. Not really interesting, imo.
2. Well, it's an AV after all, I don't think that "terminating" an AV should be easy. ;)

How is it not interesting that the program doesn't include basic functionality included in most, if not all, other anti-virus / firewall / security suite programs?

Seriously. There is sometimes a need to disable/termine your anti-virus software. It should not be hard to do.

Why not take it as constructive criticism rather than defending a design mistake?
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
1. Seriously. There is sometimes a need to disable/termine your anti-virus software. It should not be hard to do.

2. Why not take it as constructive criticism rather than defending a design mistake?

1. Highly disagree..!!
2. That's no mistake at all, imo.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »
You can disable it but it isn't recommended for obvious reasons. At least unplug yourself from the internet when you disable it.

Here is how to do it.

Open avast and go to settings -> troubleshooting -> untick enable avast! self-defense module and select yes when the confirmation dialog pops up. Now open Task Manager and close down any avast services and processes you have running.

To start avast! again, simply restart your computer. And don't forget to re-enable the self-defense module.