Author Topic: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!  (Read 66942 times)

c64

Re: Avast(Free) dies during update. Major panic!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »
After the error message and after reboot Avast is not working.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:14:43 AM by c64 »

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
The database release might be corrupt, but we don't know (yet) if downloading the VPS manually and applying it actually solves the database corruption.

After downloading the VPS manually and applying it, reboot into Windows Safe Mode, go to administrative tools -> services and check the "autostart" of Avast Service. The reboot into Normal Mode.

If then the manual download of the VPS solves the problem, great. If it doesn't, then we will probably see a new update available at http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history
and when you do, you might have to repeat the manual download again with the new database (and maybe the activation of the autostart service too).

Each case "might" be slightly different.

Chucky500

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
W2K SP4, Avast:  v6.0.1203.  Have plenty of ram, blah, blah.  I'm still voting for a corrupt definitions file...

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:33:31 AM »
W2K SP4, Avast:  v6.0.1203.  Have plenty of ram, blah, blah.  I'm still voting for a corrupt definitions file...

Probably you are correct, but it is clearly related to Win2k, don't you think?

Can you try the manual download of VPS (see DavidR's post above). After applying, please reboot. Is Avast Service running after this last reboot?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:35:37 AM »
@ ady48um  If the update is corrupt it should be on everyone else's machine and my machine is fine. So doing a manual download is still downloading the same file. I would follow DavidR's advice. Going back to an older version wouldn't solve anything either since it is still downloading the same vps. DavidR knows what he is talking about.

See reply #12 and follow DavidR's advice.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »
@ ady48um  If the update is corrupt it should be on everyone else's machine and my machine is fine. So doing a manual download is still downloading the same file. I would follow DavidR's advice. Going back to an older version wouldn't solve anything either since it is still downloading the same vps. DavidR knows what he is talking about.

Something is interacting in those systems (win2k sp4 ?) with the normal automatic partial download.

I think you are confused, or not reading carefully. I do NOT have the problem. I'm helping.

Downloading the full VPS as DavidR instructed could be useful simply because the complete set of files is replaced, not just a partial update. But that's not the only part that may be involved, and until more reports (and solutions) are actually seen here, I am not discarding anything. The previous stable version with a new full VPS manually downloaded might get a working system to some of these users reporting the problem.

The logic I used, and the instructions, are adequate for the current state of the problem. Once we KNOW what exactly is the combination that provokes the problem, then the instructions and solutions can be improved.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
@SKY, if you reboot, is Avast service working?
No. Rebooted 1000 times. avast! is dead.

I hope, that a new update will solve the problem soon...  :'(
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 01:16:16 AM »
Have you tried a Manual update of VPS...
Hi David,

no, I didn't try this.
I want to wait till I can update automatically again.

Because of my Acronis-Backup the programm is now allrigt again. Just the updates are old (30.07.2011).
I think, I can wait till tomorrow and hope that a new update will be o.k....
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

momaru

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 01:33:38 AM »
Seems to be isolated to Win2K. Update will cause Avast to stop working.
Reinstalled Avast and performed auto update and same issue.
Reinstalled Avast and performed manual update and was working until reboot of system. Now same issue.
Most likely something in the actual update file and Win2K.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 01:51:57 AM »
Reinstalled Avast and performed manual update and was working until reboot of system. Now same issue.
Thank you for the feedback, momaru!

...and welcome to the forum! ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 01:56:54 AM »

Something is interacting in those systems (win2k sp4 ?) with the normal automatic partial download.

I think you are confused, or not reading carefully. I do NOT have the problem. I'm helping.

Downloading the full VPS as DavidR instructed could be useful simply because the complete set of files is replaced, not just a partial update. But that's not the only part that may be involved, and until more reports (and solutions) are actually seen here, I am not discarding anything. The previous stable version with a new full VPS manually downloaded might get a working system to some of these users reporting the problem.

The logic I used, and the instructions, are adequate for the current state of the problem. Once we KNOW what exactly is the combination that provokes the problem, then the instructions and solutions can be improved.
The point I was making is to let those with more experience assist those with the issues.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:37 AM »
The point I was making is to let those with more experience assist those with the issues.  :)

First, for those having problems, my apologies for this little OT.

@Para-Noid, I am "afraid" my words now may sound "aggressive" or alike in some way, so please don't misunderstand me. There is no such intention.
With the information provided by those users having problems to this point, Is there anything I wrote that is incorrect or inadequate in some way? Or something that contradicts what David wrote? I really would like to know.

momaru

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 02:14:51 AM »
I am very certain it is isolated to win2k (it's win2k pro sp4 btw) because I have systems running xp, vista, and 7, all without issues so far. My win2k system only has the usual adobe, java, ms office services running in the background. I'm not saying it can't be some other third party program causing the issue, but from reading the current posts, it does seem like it is win2k itself and whatever is in that update.

Of course, it may be getting to the point where Avast is at it's limit for win2k support.  :P

Thanks for the welcome ~SKY~.

optimist

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 03:36:53 AM »
I confirm same symptoms as in Moriarty's original post, and my machine is also W2K-SP4.

Had been working fine until this new 6.0.1203 update.  Current Status tab says "unsecured", "service stopped", and neither the "Fix Now" nor "Start Program" buttons on that page seem to do anything.

slarsen

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 03:46:29 AM »
Same problem here! And I'm also running Win 2k Pro SP4.

The problem definitely occurs during a engine/definition update.

Upon seeing the problem and not being able to fix it, I restored my whole system from backup. The problem quickly recurred. I thought huh??? not realizing that my restoration was being modified by Avast's automatic update. I restored again... same problem! I restored a third time, this time uninstalling Avast right away and then re-installing it. Finally it worked (yay!)... for about 5 minutes. Then the same thing again! Aaargh!

Then I remember the last time I wasted a lot of time fixing a problem not of my making... caused by a corrupt Avast definition. So I came here and found to be true what I was then suspecting.

So I restored my system AGAIN, this time disconnecting my internet service long enough to turn off Avast's auto restore. Now everything is fine.

I hope Alwil is watching this board and will fix this problem. It's not guaranteed given that Win 2k is obsolete (in most people's minds, not mine).