Author Topic: Please help me with my Anti Package Avast!  (Read 2506 times)

chrischou130894

Please help me with my Anti Package Avast!
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm used Avst for many but recently I have some questions for a better security for my computer. More, my English still bad  so please forgive if there is any misunderstand, thankfully for that.
OK, here is the thing. I've used Avast for almost 4 years but didn't even know what can Avast do (my brother install it on my computer and just said that it's an Anti-virus program, done!. Recently I've started to find some good programs that could protect my computer, and it's must be free. Sorry if this make everybody said, I'm a normal student and just can't find a way to afford for a "Pro" one.
But, like I said, I've used Avast for many years, so I'll just stick with it cause it so good (in my opinion ^^). So, I've done some research and found out some great programs, they are ( include online stuffs):
1. WOT: WEB of Trust Free, it's so famous!
2. Spyware Blaster: for safe surfing only, in my opinion too.
3. Malwarebytes Free: I've heard that this is good.
4. Online Armor: A Firewall.
5. Threatfire.

So my question is do they work well or smoothly together?
Should I use Online Armor or Zone Alarm?
Should I use IObit malware fighter or Superantimalware or Malwarebytes or use two or three of them?
Will it be good if install these programm without causing the computer with heavy RAM?

Tangent questions: Is it Okay to install a total of 40 programs on one single laptop?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Please help me with my Anti Package Avast!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:21 PM »
For firewall, in my personal opinion:
Comodo
Online Armour
OutPost Free Security Suite

For a second opinion on demand scanner, I'd rather MBAM or SuperAntispyware. Both? Overkilling maybe...
IObit as thieve: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217
NEVER use an IObit product!
The best things in life are free.

chrischou130894

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
More questions, As you and orthers have suggested, I'll use these programs:

○ WOT
   ○ McAfee SiteAdvisor
   ○ Spyware Blaster
   ○ Spyware terminator
   ○ Malwarebytes
   ○ Hotspot Shield
   ○ Avast Home Edition
   ○ Threat Fire
   ○ Online Armor
   ○ Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
   ○ Virus Total uploader

So my question is that if I use Hotspot Shield and Online Armor, will they be conflicted, and I can not connect to the internet?
When should I use Hotspot Shield? Someone suggests that use it when you connect to an open wifi source (like in the Public Library), is that right?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:24 PM »
I feel you may have some overkill. If you use Online Armor, Hotspot Shield is totally unnecessary. With OA you are already protected with HIPS. Personally I would whittle your list down to some basics. avast, malwarebytes and super anti-spyware. I am not to thrilled with WOT or webrep as I rely on the avast web shield. If you are able to remove a virus with avast why use Kapersky virus removal tool? As far as an all-around utility use CCleaner. Something to think about, the more security software you have the greater the chance of conflicts. My advice is to keep it simple.  :)

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

chrischou130894

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
I'm appreciate both of your helps! But is there a thanks button?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
But is there a thanks button?

No.
Just say thanks. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0