Author Topic: Avast Behaviour for Potentially Unwanted Programs  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Vock

Avast Behaviour for Potentially Unwanted Programs
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I recognize the following for Avast's behaviour on Potentially Unwanted Programs:
Case 1: my setting are on "ask" (and then "ignore"). When I am starting a program that Avast sees as potentially unwanted, I am asked... but the options are only to "move to container", "delete" or "restrict access" (sorry, as I am using a German Avast version I am not sure how the points are exactly called in the English version, but I assume it is understandable). There is no option to allow access...

That brings me to case 2: the only possibility to start such a program is apparently to put the settings in the first place on "ignore". However, there is still a pop-up coming telling me the program was blocked and it is not ignored... the only chance is then to put it into the exception list - any other way does not lead to any possibility to execute it

Case 3: now the program (or respective folder) is in the exception list... but the pop-up-menue still comes telling me the program is blocked - which it isn't any longer, it is now happily executed.

Case 4: put the settings back to "ask" in the first place... Now Avast asks me again, fine. Choose "move to container" or "delete", this works, but the program is by then already executed, so the question comes to late. The option "restrict access" has no value at all in this case.

I find the behaviour somehow strange, as there is no clear way to be able to decide on an execution of such a program except putting it into the exception list - and as soon as it is there it will be executed no matter what the chosen action is.

I would rather prefer to have under "ask" an option to allow access directly or put int directly from there onto the exception list.

I am aware all these cases read rather complicated, but I tried to describe it in a way that somebody can follow it up.
WIN10 Ver 1903, Avast Free