Author Topic: ASHSERV.EXE IS SPYWARE!!  (Read 10702 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:ASHSERV.EXE IS SPYWARE!!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »
There ahve been a number of issues with Spybot S&D and false positives when using the beta downloads for updates.

user811, didn't say which program exactly detected it (but I would guess s&d as that's what he tried to remove it with), or if he is using the beta updates.

Blocking ashserv.exe with ZA and his attempt to fix with s7d will almost certainly have stuffed the installation, so he would be best to try a repair.

The HDD activity, if I remember rightly has been discussed before and had something to do with either the ODBC/XML or MS jet drivers?

@RJ
Techie101 is a forum moderator and I think his comments were entirely justified and he also tried to help, not simply comment on the language and tone of the post. Unlike yourself who didn't offer any help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 06:25:15 PM »
I don't see Techie101 did anything wrong in this thread. Of course bad language is forbidden in these forums and he as a forum moderator has full rights to do that. I did it accidentally few times (although I used abbreviations  :o), and he corrected me... nop complains about that...

Whoever said that avast! contains spyware, was wrong. Shouting like that isn't a best way to get help in these forums... especially making stupid statement like that and above all in capital letters. Always double-check the facts before you jump with conclusions !

Techie101 wrote:
Some anti-spyware programs of which one was mentioned, will report Avast as spyware.  This is not true and are most definetly false positives.

Well, I always ask, why no one wants to do something about that ? Isn't there any way we can make those programmers fix those issues with their third party antispyware programs ? I mean, it's outrageous to state that part of one of the best antivirus programs out there, contains spyware... c'mon people...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 07:27:52 PM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 08:19:02 PM »
We, Techie and I, Technical, are not Moderators here.
We can do nothing regarding to this thread.
Please, don't send me IM about this. Be kind, be smart, survive  8)

If the user edit a previous thread, the next answer or question will appear non-sense talking...  :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 08:23:20 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 09:08:02 PM »
user811, all I can say, and you can take this as an official statement of the "team", that avast contains NO spyware. BTW tt has been said here many times - it's a matter of trust. BUT - if you don't trust your AV software - whom are you gonna trust?

That said, your dirty language will not be tolerated on these forums next time.

I guess enough said - I'm closing this thread.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.