Author Topic: will the behavior shiled become an Advanced HIPS in the future versions?  (Read 3380 times)

mantra

hi

will the behavior shiled become an Advanced HIPS  in the future versions?

it would be a strong shield for avast , maybe keeping the lightness of avast , ram and cpu consuming

thanks
cheers

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
will the behavior shiled become an Advanced HIPS  in the future versions?

No.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
As Asyn said, no.
Transparency, simplicity and user friendly are being looked for side by side with protection. The challenge is to achieve the balance.
The best things in life are free.

mantra

As Asyn said, no.
Transparency, simplicity and user friendly are being looked for side by side with protection. The challenge is to achieve the balance.
are you sure ?
i mean the alwil team  plan

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
are you sure ?

Yes, we are sure.

+1 as said by Asyn and Tech Avast is not going to used HIPS, their planning something else better than HIPS ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Many HIPS functions for the most part ask too many damn questions. The problem being that most people really don't know what to answer, so the tendency is to either block all or allow all, neither of which is very good.

So you are looking at a function that removes these decisions from the user, so it has to be a) more accurate or b) rather less sensitive or the user gets death by pop-up.

Avast's behavior shield is trying to achieve that level of protection without the constant barrage of pop-ups. Add to that the AutoSandBox and you have another level, which although set to Ask backs up the file system shield (with its emulation function) and behavior shield.

This I think gives you a pretty effective level of protection without being too intrusive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mantra

well

i would appreciate a hips like nod v5  :'( :'(

by the way , does someone know how & what will alwil team develop in the next version 6.X or 7.x?

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I honestly can't get excited about HIPS it really is more buzz than substance and why people think they are a panacea for all ills is beyond me.

HIPS really is a contradiction in terms as Host Intrusion Protection System as in most cases this isn't intrusion, but extrusion stopping something getting out of the system.

Not to mention that there is no clear definition of exactly what it means and should have/do, so the avast behavior shield in itself could be considered HIPS in any loose definition.

My firewall has HIPS and that is all about internal processes, in the most case trying to run and or get internet access, etc.

I guess you could always buy nod5, but then you say other AVs suck...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security