Author Topic: I wanna hear from Alwil - minor issue caused by SkinBuilder fixed  (Read 14975 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Hello everyone,

If it's possible it would be great to read whole thread, but if you experience lack of free time, at least read last page of this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8219;start=30

I found where is the problem and I spent my free time on fixing exactly 32 skins (mine, Martin's, RejZor's and Darren's). Actually, it's a problem caused by SkinBuilder (again), not with our skins... SkinBuilder solves some things in a strange way  ::) . It was a huge job, and if we want avast! users to stay happy, it would be great to hear from Alwil members now.

As I said, I fixed all skins that were affected with that little (but sometimes annoying) problem, and now it's Alwil's turn... I just need someone to tell me where to send all those compressed skin files (ASWCS). There is exactly 32 skin files in total with 9.6 Mb in physical size. Is it better to zip them all in one file, or to make few zip files and send them like that ?

Again, here is a list of all skins that I fixed:

Thanks in advance !

Sasha
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:57:37 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re:I wanna hear from Alwil - avast! minor skin issue fixed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 03:31:09 AM »
Nice work Sasha. Please let me know when I can download the new versions. Thanks.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 05:01:32 AM »
Hey Craftec,
It's radicalb21. If you want you can upload them to my ftp and send them the username and password I gave you so they can retrieve them. If you need the info again I can send it to you. If you need anything just ask. I'm glad to help in any way.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

neal62

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 06:42:55 AM »
Sasha, Yes I think your hard work should be included to make a new selection of skins for anyone who wants to use them. I know that the cursor problem has been solved by you in remaking these skins. Maybe VLK or someone from Alwil will go ahead and give you a place to upload these skins for the members and others to be able to use. Sure hope they do as you have done a great job with them and have spent alot of time and effort in fixing them. ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »
Thanks guys for your support. It would be great if we can replace all old skins with new ones I fixed. I didn't change anything inside skins, so no one of authors should be affraid... I just fixed little tiny winy issue, so no one will have those cursor problems any more...

Uploading to some FTP space would be nice, but not too great... I think, it would just make more confussion among the avast! users. Official avast! web site contains old (problematic skins), and now we have another WEB space to download fixed skin files.

IMHO, everything should be on avast! official web site if you ask me...

So, I think, the only solution for this problem, is to wait until Alwil respoonds to this thread. I just hope it will be soon. I received few complains about cursor issue through PM system.

Alwil ?

Cheers !

Starfighter

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »
Sasha, et al,
I think it would be great if Alwil officially endorses your fixes to these skins, and will put these new skins on their website noting that you have revised/fixed them.  Then all avast! users will know that these skins are revised and freely available from the official Alwil website.
 ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:54:44 PM »
If needed/wanted I can make them availeble through my server and website.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 01:13:08 PM »
Thanks Eddy, Radicalb21 also offered his web space, but as I said in one of my previous replies...

Uploading to some FTP space would be nice, but not too great... I think, it would just make more confussion among the avast! users. Official avast! web site contains old (problematic skins), and now we have another WEB space to download fixed skin files.

IMHO, everything should be on avast! official web site if you ask me...

It would be much better to synchronize the whole thing with Alwil first.

Thansk again people for your generous offers !

Still waiting...  ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 01:21:36 PM »
Agreed, one place is less confusing. But what if the Avast website isn't reacheble? Perhaps having one "mirror" is a idea.

Just a thought ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 01:35:53 PM »
Good work Sasha. Hope that you get an official answer soon.
Like you said, better will be the entire update of the skin page for downloading  8)

Well, the best will be that when the users update to 4.5 (official release) it could identify the installed skins and update them too. What do you think?
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 01:36:18 PM »
That would be good, but first we have to place original (fixed) files on primary web page first (to avoid any possible confussion) and then someone can make mirror...

Cheers !

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 01:40:41 PM »
Technical, that's exactly why I think skins should be updated as soon as possible... even before releasing 4.5 final.

That way, we'll be sure that everybody who downloads 4.5 has latest version of the skins. I'm guessing here that with 4.5 few skins will be inside download package, so we want those skins to be few of those that I fixed... we don't wanna release some "buggy" skins with 4.5, right ?

Now is the right time to do something...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 03:14:22 PM »
Sorry, Vlk is rather busy today (even I cannot reach him ;))
I'm sure he'll let you know as soon as possible!
Thanks for the fixes!

a61_a61

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »
I would sure like to see the fixed skins on the Alwil Skins page too.  I also wonder if some of the fixed skins that come with avast will be made into a program update.

a61

S.Z.Craftec

Re:I wanna hear from Alwil - minor issue caused by SkinBuilder fixed
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 09:00:50 PM »
I'm sure they will put few skins in standard package. Anyway, Vlk said to me once that they will put one or two (I'm not sure any more) skins made by me as well.

Of course it would be great to put "fixed" skines in standard package. I don't know which skins will be part of standar package, but I'm sure Silver Panel made by Martin will be there. I have fixed version of that skin as well, so it would be great if they receive them before they want to release 4.5... that's for sure...

Igor - thanks for your respond, we will wait... nothing else we can do, I guess...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:58:15 AM by S.Z.C »