Author Topic: Computer keeps freezing - how do I find problem  (Read 21358 times)

lambdj

Re: Computer keeps freezing - how do I find problem
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
The 59 was the GPU temperature (actually at 57 now). HD0 is at 44.

I'm not sure how it can be a temperature thing though as the same action is triggering the problem no matter how long its been on for.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
If the temperature is high then as more programmes run they will increase the CPU temperature until either a freeze occurs or windows shuts down

I can see no apparent malware

lambdj

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
Okay, thanks for all the help. But still not convinced as its happened when I've started up the PC and run windows defender straight away.

Will open up the PC tomorrow and see if I can bring the temperature down a bit more to see if it helps.

If it isn't malware or temperature (a big if) any idea's what it could be or where I could go for advice/help?

Thanks again for the help.

David

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
The next process would be to go for a clean boot and then check the services one at a time to see if there is a conflicting driver

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
While you have the pc opened, you should also clean all the dust out of it, especially on the heat sinks, not just the vents. Also check that all fans are working, holding a piece of paper in front of them is a quick easy check. It could be a lot of other things as well, but these are easy to do. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
What he said  ;D

lambdj

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »
Okay, tried a clean boot. Ran windows explorer straight after a booting up and froze again when scanning same registry object. Then when I rebooted and tried to re-set the config so it did a normal reboot, froze again! Not sure whats going on here. Any idea's? Is there a corrupted registry entry?

ps - currently have PC open and have cleaned as much dust out as possible. Temp for HD0 at 40C.

lambdj

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:27 AM »
Also, I've managed to get the start-up options back to normal but had to go into safe mode to do it.

Again, thanks to everyone who has already and will try to help. Much appreciated.

lambdj

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »
Ooops, just realised, its ran windows defender a couple of posts back, not explorer.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
So it is now dust free - yet still freezing ?

lambdj

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
Yes, and still freezes at the same point exactly in the Windows Defender scan.

I've also tried running a full check for disk errors, but that hasn't solved it.

I'm going to try a registry claening tool a friend recommended (eusing) then a scanner from McAfee (stinger) to see if they make a difference.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Faulty/failing memory is a common cause of random freezing. If you haven't found another solution, it's well worth checking your memory. I've personally used Memtest86, which is available on many Linux Live CDs, or here, as a free download:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edit:

If you use this tool, make sure you do at least one full cycle. Letting it run overnight is even better.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:38:54 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 12:31:13 AM »
Cheers OC that was going to be the next area of investigation ;D

lambdj

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
I've done a few checks today but still haven't solved it. The computer still freezes when windows defender is run.

I ran the registry cleaning tool and that found a lot of errors but fixing them didn't change things. I ran the Stinger tool but that froze the computer about 2 hours into its scan. I ran the memory test (Memtest86 as OC recommended). I stopped it half way though its 4th pass through the tests after it had been running for nearly 3 hours. There were no problems found (did I run it for long enough?).

One thing I have discovered is that the computer isn't completely frozen. I opened the task manager and left it running while windows defender was running to try and see if any other processes were killing the PC. When the computer 'froze' the task manager was still updating, though the only process using anything other than 0% was the task manager itself. I could move the mouse around the screen but nothing responded to any clicks and keyboard shortcuts didn't work either. Any idea's what could cause that?

(I'm away for a few days from tomorrow so if I don't reply its just because of this and I will pick this up again when I get back)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
The computer still freezes when windows defender is run.

Hmm...
Do you really need WD..??
Just disable it.
Solved..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0