Author Topic: Help! Updates problem  (Read 3467 times)

wf

Help! Updates problem
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
 :-[ I'm really having problems with updating engine and virus definitions.  I have tried to update at different hours and have uninstall and reinstall Avast but now I'm stuck with an even more outdated virus definitions.  It always get terminated whilst downloading on step 1.  Same goes with update program.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Help! Updates problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »
Is this with a new install of avast ?, did you remove your previous av then run the correct removal tool before installing avast ?, latest def'e are 110901-1, if not try a repair of avast

wf

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
Yes, it's a newly installed Avast and it's more outdated then my previous one but it doesn't matter whether it's an old one or newly installed one as both have the same problem in updating.  I can't restore my old one now and the new one is more outdated than my old one.  Where can I get the latest edition of Avast ie updated to Sep?  The new one is 110704-1 whereas my old one is 110882++.  I'm at a lost what to do!  I wish they have the updated version up to Sep.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:07:21 AM by wf »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:45:29 AM »
- Avast! Manual Virus Definitions Update Download - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 31MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Note: Ignore the file name in the images of the page that is displayed after clicking the download link, they are for the main program, not for vpsupd.exe which will be downloaded.

This should bring it fully up to date.

Though this may not resolve the problem about your inability to update if there is a problem other than avast. This is why the other question asked by craigb is important.

Where did you download the version of avast from ?
If from a source other than the avast servers it may not have been updated fully. You don't say what version of avast you are using so I can only assume it is avast! free and this is a direct link to download from avast: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »
And here is the uninstall link http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe which is to be run in safe mode after uninstalling avast normally if what DavidR has suggested doesn't work and then you might have to do a clean install.
Uninstallers for other av's here if you never ran one after deleting your old av http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:54:58 AM by craigb »

wf

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
Thanks a lot^^ :D Davidr and craigb for your help.  Yes, I downloaded the Manual Virus Definition Update and now my Avast is updated to-date.  There's no problem for me once it's updated to the latest version.  This problem arise when I didn't go online for a few days to a week so my old Avast got stuck.  I thot uninstall my old Avast and reinstall new Avast would help but the new Avast 6 is July edition and now my registration is not a year as before but it's not a problem.  Important thing virus definition is up to date.

Truly grateful & thanks so much!!  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
Good to know that your up and running  :)

wf

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Davidr.

I just wanna say that my updated Avast is now working fine and good.

8) Thanks a bunch to you both for the help.