Author Topic: When Network Shield is started I can't go to any websites (blocks all websites).  (Read 8231 times)

nbeaman

Avast seems to block all websites.
I just purchased Avast Business Protection.  I installed it on two computers for testing.  Everything worked great the first day, but over the weekend something happend.  On Monday, both PC's could not go to any websites - just get the standard "could not display web page".

I figured out that if I "Stop" Network Sheild under "Real-Time Shields", I could then go to any website.  Disabling my firewall had no affect.  Anyone else ever had this problem?

Running Windows 7 ultimate
Avast Business Protection (Engine and definitions: 110820-0) (Program: 5.1.169)
Update Program Version (6.0.169)

- Nelson

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Avast Business Protection (Engine and definitions: 110820-0) (Program: 5.1.169)
Update Program Version (6.0.169)
These numbers seems quite odd to me. Could you attach a screenshot of the "Maintenance > Subscription" page of avast! ?
Quality is also a feature.

nbeaman

Screenshots:
Here is the Maintenance -> Subscription
and the Maintenance -> Update

ftp://ftp.hboi.edu/outgoing/avast_maint_subscription.JPG

ftp://ftp.hboi.edu/outgoing/avast_maint_Update.JPG

Thanks for the help.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
and the Maintenance -> Update
ftp://ftp.hboi.edu/outgoing/avast_maint_Update.JPG
That's the one I needed... And it looks interesting ;)
Could you give me the steps that got you to this state?
And there is setup.log in c:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast SOMETHING\log\, could you attach it as well?

thank you

nbeaman

I used the Avast Admin Dashboard to do an "Email Deployment".  From the email I received I downloaded the Avast client and installed it (used all the defaults).  Avast worked great for one day, then the problem with Network Shield occurred.  Here's the setup log:

ftp://ftp.hboi.edu/outgoing/Setup_log.zip

Thanks

KVS

Hi,

We have got the exact same problem.

I upgraded our managed setup from V4.8 to 6.xx late last week. The entire installation seemed to work perfectly until Monday evening when complaints on missing internet access started ticking in.

We now have the administration console Ver. 1.0.888.13 Database ver. 1148 running on our Windows 2003 domain controller. The program version being distributed is 6.0.177 and vir. def. 110823-0.

Initially the licence file we received when renewing our license was accepted and used when installing the administration console and deploying to the clients. Today the license is rejected by the admin. console with the message that the license file has been used before and that the current license i not active. Further more I'm not able to request a trial license.

When looking at logged event in Windows I can see that "LicenseUtil.exe" fails consequently and has done so since late last week.

Hope that this makes sense.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
about the license problem - send me PM or email with you customer number. I can check the license in internal system.

KVS

Sure I will. I just need you to explain "PM" to me  ;)

KVS

HI Lukas,

our customer number is: 36287563.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
I upgraded our managed setup from V4.8 to 6.xx late last week. The entire installation seemed to work perfectly until Monday evening when complaints on missing internet access started ticking in.

We now have the administration console Ver. 1.0.888.13 Database ver. 1148 running on our Windows 2003 domain controller. The program version being distributed is 6.0.177 and vir. def. 110823-0.
Where did you downloaded the version 888.13 from?
Did you restart the computer after install of the avast! client?

Initially the licence file we received when renewing our license was accepted and used when installing the administration console and deploying to the clients. Today the license is rejected by the admin. console with the message that the license file has been used before and that the current license i not active. Further more I'm not able to request a trial license.
Did you "re-inserted" the license?
Or it happened "automatically?

I tried your license and it was accepted without a problem. If you can see the "Request trial" button then it means that there is currently no license in the admin. console. Could you look at the computer where you installed the scb server and check the license file? It might get somehow corrupted. I'd try to re-insert it once more.

When looking at logged event in Windows I can see that "LicenseUtil.exe" fails consequently and has done so since late last week.
could you attach a log?

KVS

The license was bought from element5 and the console downloaded from: http://dl.element5.com/d/a66d80a4ab14b31e/4E7339EF/26451/setup_console_bp.exe

All clients and the server hosting the console have been restarted more than once.

I tried to re-insert the license when the problem arose, but got the message that the license file had already been in use and that a new should be issued from the vendor. (Or at least a similar message). We have had a new license file issued twice over the past few days without success.

The "Request Trial" button is visible. When pressing it I get the message "Unable to create trial license". I get the message instantly as though the traffic with a licencing server is blocked.

Do I need to allow any special traffic on certain ports in our gateway? We have a Cisco ASA5505 box filtering all internet traffic.

I've made an extract of the Windows application event log from this afternoon when we tested the latest issued license file which we received from your colleague Pavel Pletanek.

There is a Ticket ID: SFP-477157 on this issue as well so others in your organization might already be involved.

Thanks for the effort you put into tracing the problem.

Regards,
Kasper

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
I tried to re-insert the license when the problem arose, but got the message that the license file had already been in use and that a new should be issued from the vendor. (Or at least a similar message). We have had a new license file issued twice over the past few days without success.
Ignore the "License had been used already" message. This is only informative message.

The "Request Trial" button is visible. When pressing it I get the message "Unable to create trial license". I get the message instantly as though the traffic with a licencing server is blocked.

Do I need to allow any special traffic on certain ports in our gateway? We have a Cisco ASA5505 box filtering all internet traffic.
This functionality "Request trial" from console doesn't work. It's a bug.

Could you try to update the console to the latest update 888.19 ?

KVS

Hi Lukas,

I just downloaded ver. 1.0.888.19 of the console from your web site and installed it.

Nothing changed - the license is still rejected.
I've attached a dump of the application log.

Log start is at the time when the console update starts.
Log end is at the time where I've tried to insert the license.

Regards,

KVS

Hi Lukas,

The initial problem with clients not able to access the internet when the Network Shield is running has vanished. I don't have the slightest idea why, but everything seems to work on the client side now.

The only remaining problem is therefore that the license is rejected by the management console.

Regards,
Kasper

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
The only remaining problem is therefore that the license is rejected by the management console.
problem with rejected license was solved by computer restart