Author Topic: Wish Feature For Avast!  (Read 5516 times)

DBone

Wish Feature For Avast!
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
I didn't find a wish list section, but if I missed it you can move it there...............My request is simple. Add a shut down computer option for the manual scans. I don't use scheduled stuff, and it would be great to shut down after a manual scan.

Nesivos

Re: Wish Feature For Avast!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
#1 on my avast! wish list.

Add an uninstall feature that allows the user to save their changes to the default avast! settings.  This will eliminate the need to waste time and have to manually modify the default settings after an uninstall and re-install.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Add an uninstall feature that allows the user to save their changes to the default avast! settings.  This will eliminate the need to waste time and have to manually modify the default settings after an uninstall and re-install.
The same, but a little more flexible I think, would be keeping the defaults and add save/restore personal options/settings.
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
The same, but a little more flexible I think, would be keeping the defaults and add save/restore personal options/settings.

Sounds great to me :)

Avast developers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZxHAZChcYU

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
+1 :D
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline Corsair

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:55:08 AM »
I didn't find a wish list section, but if I missed it you can move it there...............My request is simple. Add a shut down computer option for the manual scans. I don't use scheduled stuff, and it would be great to shut down after a manual scan.

+1

+1

I like both these features.  :)
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

jrace

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »

sounds like one of the best ideas which ever came up here! :D

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Having the possibility to back up settings for future use (or for saving and choosing different "profiles" of settings) is a good idea, specially when, for whatever reason, the user wants/needs to uninstall and reinstall, or wants/needs to "transfer" the same settings to a new system or a new Windows installation in the same system. By "exporting" and "importing" (group of) settings, or applying saved "profiles", some situations are easier and faster to handle.

Isn't this similar to a pre-configured silent installation? Well, it is similar, but more powerful IMHO. A user with a certain "default" profile of settings may want/need to temporarily "tweak" some settings and run some scan, and then the user may want/need to get back to the original settings. So importing a "profile" of settings (previously saved by the same user) makes all this easier. This type of action is not resolved by a pre-configured silent installation. This is more powerful than that.

Depending on which settings can be saved (and how), it gives faster flexibility to the user.

But it can be used not only for "saved settings / profiles". A new installation of Avast may need changing settings according to the user's preferences. Some settings need similar changes for each shield. When just installing Avast, it would be easier for the user to set the "personal default settings" first and only once (while installing), and only *then* change what's left in each shield, instead of having to "accept" the default settings from Avast's Setup and change again and again the same settings for each shield. This would be an "advance" type of installation (maybe activated with one command line argument for setup.exe or a checkbox during a custom type of installation), leaving the simple and traditional setup as default for normal installation.

I'm not saying it should be simple to implement (maybe it is, maybe not). But hey, it's a wish list :).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »

It sure is...!! But it's not new at all. ;)
We had many requests for that on the old wishlist.
And also on a newer wish-/suggestion- system, which never made it to the public forum. :-\ :-X
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »

Lots of times.

Personally I wouldn't include the export settings into the uninstall function, it should be available from the avastUI 'Export user settings, etc.' along with an 'Import user settings' option.

If it were in the uninstall function, there would still have to be a corresponding option to 'Import user settings' or there would be no point in having the option in the uninstall function. So if it is available in the avastUI, essentially it would be redundant in the uninstall function.

As for the manual scan shutdown option, I have seen many forum topics where even the scheduled scan isn't shutting down after the scan, something is obviously preventing that. That said, I honestly can't see the need for a shutdown after a 'manual' scan after all you are present.

Scans generally don't take that long unless you are setting up a paranoid custom scan, so the Quick scan shouldn't take that long:
- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Ya configuration save good idea.

So when you come to install avast! in clients PCs you can just drag on the save file on it... ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:08:05 PM by Mr.Agent »

Nesivos

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
I agree:

I think @DavidR has the best way mentioned so far to handle it.