Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe is constantly connecting to avast.com, WHY?? updates/community off  (Read 6354 times)

lilstar417

AvastSvc.exe tries to connect to *.avast.com IP addresses every couple minutes or so.  Why?

Under Settings > Updates

Engine and Virus Deifinitions = Manual
Program = Manual
Update every = 0 minutes

> Maintenance

CreditAlert Settings = OFF

> Community
Participate in the avast! community = OFF
Show Avast recommendations = OFF
Show social networking features = OFF

Some of the IPs are

AvastSvc.exe is trying to access the above IPs on ports 80 and 443.
Avast program version 6.0.1203

What else do I need to disable in avast to prevent it from constantly trying to dial home?  I have restarted my computer after making changes to the Avast settings fyi.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Well there is still the news service which i dont think can be disabled and i dont know what effect it has by setting your updates to 0 minutes.
Why would you want to set your engine and virus definitions to manual ? as this can leave you without the latest virus definitions which make your system more insecure, and turning off the avast community feature means that any detections wont be sent to avast automatically. Default update for free is 240 min, minimum update setting is 120 min

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
AvastSvc.exe tries to connect to *.avast.com IP addresses every couple minutes or so.  Why?

Under Settings > Updates

Engine and Virus Deifinitions = Manual
Program = Manual
Update every = 0 minutes

> Maintenance

CreditAlert Settings = OFF

> Community
Participate in the avast! community = OFF
Show Avast recommendations = OFF
Show social networking features = OFF

Some of the IPs are

AvastSvc.exe is trying to access the above IPs on ports 80 and 443.
Avast program version 6.0.1203

What else do I need to disable in avast to prevent it from constantly trying to dial home?  I have restarted my computer after making changes to the Avast settings fyi.

Please also try checking the box "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" in Avast Settings -> Updates. Otherwise, Avast may be connecting to its servers to find out if a connection is available.

Also, please note that if you have WebShield enabled, pretty much all your HTTP traffic will be routed via AvastSvc.exe. This is because the WebShield works as a proxy (AvastSvc.exe is the proxy process).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

lilstar417

Well there is still the news service which i dont think can be disabled and i dont know what effect it has by setting your updates to 0 minutes.
Why would you want to set your engine and virus definitions to manual ? as this can leave you without the latest virus definitions which make your system more insecure, and turning off the avast community feature means that any detections wont be sent to avast automatically. Default update for free is 240 min, minimum update setting is 120 min

I am not familiar with the "News Service".  Googling "news service site:avast.com" gave me http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76349.45 and I do not see that in my status screen.  Equally I don't see this feature added or removed in the changelog: http://www.avast.com/release-history
I am using version 6.0.1203. 

Thank you for your concern about my lack of auto-updates.  I am aware of all your concerns you brought up.... And I promise you the world does not come to a screeching halt if they are turned off.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Didn't say the world will come to a halt, just saying you are lessoning your security.
This news, ad service

lilstar417

Please also try checking the box "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" in Avast Settings -> Updates. Otherwise, Avast may be connecting to its servers to find out if a connection is available.

Also, please note that if you have WebShield enabled, pretty much all your HTTP traffic will be routed via AvastSvc.exe. This is because the WebShield works as a proxy (AvastSvc.exe is the proxy process).

Thanks
Vlk

Thanks Vlk!  I think that did it.