Author Topic: update question  (Read 2656 times)

geconomides

update question
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Everytime time i turn on my computer i get a notification that my virus definitions and version are out of date.  when i go to update them, it starts and then says they are already up to date.  Anybody got and ideas.  My version is 5.0.377

Thanks in advance

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: update question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Well my first question is why would you still be using avast 5.0 when avast 6 was released in January of this year ?

Even the version you are using (isn't even listed, see image) the latest avast 5.0 version, which is Version 5.0.677 2010-09-07.

@@@@
- Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.

####
In all honesty I would suggest that you do a clean install of avast 6.0.1023.
- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1203 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

geconomides

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
stupid question but when i go to download the uninstall file it tell me to do it in safe mode.  How do i get to safe mode?  i'm using vista, unfortunatly.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
I think you mean run the file in safe mode ? tap F8 while booting the computer till you get a black screen where you can start the system in safe mode.