Author Topic: System locking-up???  (Read 9200 times)

kodiak536

System locking-up???
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
Just recently, my wife's PC started to lock-up soon after the XP start and goes to the desktop. :'(

Her PC is up to date with all of the windows xp updates, Avast updates and it run along with Comodo firewall.

I have exact same set-up on my PC but, it don't lock-up any more??? ??? We are both running the latest alpha version of Avast free.

Couple of weeks ago, my system was doing the exact same thing after a freshly reinstalling xp. ???

When I boot her PC in "safe mode", it don't lock-up and also when I uninstall Avast, it don't lock-up her PC either which lead me to believe it's Avast that's causing the lock-up problem. >:(

What may be causing this annoyance? The only way to get her PC to boot normally is to uninstall Avast, otherwise it stays locked up and never be able to do anything on PC. >:(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: System locking-up???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
We are both running the latest alpha version of Avast free.

Which would be...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
This is what I would try if it was me
I would use the Avast uninstaller tool.
  Then I would do a search for any Avast that might be left over ----all files & folders.
I would also check for any old antivirus programs that may have been left behind.
Then I would run chkdsk-- in my computer right click c drive properties Tools check now
Automatically fix file error problems; this will be done on a reboot.
After rebooting I would go to start run sfc /scannow
I am a great believer in eusing free registry cleaner & also defraggler.
If she’s down loaded new programs recently I would check those out.
Or maybe it might be a bad update.
All said above can only do well to your computer.
Ccleaner is also a good tool to have.
& malwarebytes for a manual scanner.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
This is what I would try if it was me...

Could we please first wait for a reply...??!! (While you mention some possibly helpful tools, it could be a totally different problem.)
Thanks.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

kodiak536

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
We are both running the latest alpha version of Avast free.

Which would be...???

That would be what's available on the Avast site, V4.8

More info: I've ran malwarebites, adaware, spybot search & destroy, scan disk, speed defrag, closed all unnecessary start-up programs and even attempted to disable all "shield controls" for Avast with no results.

All scans ran returned no problems, including that from the Avast 4.8 when it does allow us access to the programs upon start-up, which is rare.

I ran scans in "safe mode" also and that returned no results as well and the PC does respond as it should in that mode.

We've never had problems with Avast until just recently, say the past month(?), when we started to have lock-up/unresponsive desktop problems.

As I initially stated, my PC is working but with significantly noticeable response time from most programs. This is on a freshly reinstalled Windows XP with all updates.

I can perform "system restore" to date prior to installing Avast and the PC runs great with NO slowing or sluggish response from any programs. Same goes for my wife's PC, which do not have fresh XP install but do have all available updates.

The PC lock-up so bad to a point where we CAN'T do anything on normal "selective start-up" we have our PC set-up for which never gave us any problems.

On my PC, I'm still running Avast 4.8, although it had significantly slowed the program response time such as Firefox loading and some slowing on our home network connections.

On my wife's PC, I uninstalled Avast 4.8 and encountered no more lock-up problems ??? Uninstall accomplished normally, via "add/remove program", with no registry or manual deletion of any folders/entries.

Both of our PC's are exactly the same(all hardwares with the exception of optical drives), custom built PC(by me), running Windows XP home with all the latest updates and SP's.

I am considering install of previous version of Avast on my wife's to see if that makes any difference on her PC.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:47:52 PM by kodiak536 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
6.0.1203 is the latest avast so i dont know where you would be downloading this alfa 4.8 from.
Have you updated malwarebytes first to the latest version before running a scan ? version 1.51.1.1800, database version 7470.
Also get rid of Adaware and spybot so there is nothing to conflict with avast.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:23:46 PM by craigb »

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
Make sure Adaware & spybot is completely removed.
Keep Malewarebytes.
Have you downloaded any security? from banking sites.

kodiak536

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
6.0.1203 is the latest avast so i dont know where you would be downloading this alfa 4.8 from.
Have you updated malwarebytes first to the latest version before running a scan ? version 1.51.1.1800, database version 7470.

;D Last time I googled, couple of days ago, free download took me to Avast site that showed v 4.8 ???

Any how, I'm downloading the latest now v.6.0.1203

The Malwarebites is up to date with their latest update before I ran the scan.

I've though about the conflict but, why all of a sudden there would be conflict now when there were none before???

Why get rid of adaware & spybot? Avast can not provide what they can, it's just and anti-virus program...am I missing something? ???

kodiak536

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
Have you downloaded any security? from banking sites.

No I have not.

All of my security software is found through recommendation of G4tv web site's tech support forum for PC.

I've been a member of that site, which consists of numerous PC experts in the field, for years and I trust any and all recommendation from them 100%, which is how I ended up replacing AVG anti-virus(which I've used for years without any problems) with Avast...may be I go back to AVG if this annoying problem isn't solved pretty soon... ::)

I just though I'll do some research on this site, going straight to the source, before going to G4 for advice. 8)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »

;D Last time I googled, couple of days ago, free download took me to Avast site that showed v 4.8 ???

I've though about the conflict but, why all of a sudden there would be conflict now when there were none before???

Why get rid of adaware & spybot? Avast can not provide what they can, it's just and anti-virus program...am I missing something? ???
Avast is anti virus and anti spyware, adaware and spybot are outdated in there scanning techniques nowdays so malwarebytes and superantispyware are the better alternatives.
You will want to do a clean install with the new avast so uninstall 4.8 via remove programs and then run the removal tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe in safe mode to delet any leftovers and reboot back into normal mode,run ccleaner for a tidy up http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds install the slim build.                                                                                                                                                                                                         Install your new copy of avast http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button register and reboot.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
So you downloaded v4.8, but from which site? Avast official site still has v4.8 available, but it is clearly saying it is NOT the latest version available, and it is certainly not "alpha". This sounds like you downloaded "a problem", more than anything else.
Hopefully the correct "edition" from the official site (or from a wellknown recognized legal repository).

Whatever reasons for incompatibilities, now we can't know the answer to that question, since it is not at all clear which tool you "really" have downloaded and installed before.

Please uninstall your previous version and reboot. Then run the Uninstall tool under Windows Safe Mode, downloadable from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

Only *then* install the new latest stable version of Avast anew.

You need to take into account that most forum members here are not from Avast Software. Some users might have different opinions from yours.

The experience tell us that those tools "might" be useful for you, but having Avast correctly working has a higher priority than having those tools.

At least for troubleshooting, and to avoid problems, those tools should NOT be installed, at least for now. Some users would tell you that there are currently better alternatives than those 2 tools.

Let's solve first your Av problem (starting from getting rid of whatever "tool" you thought you have downloaded before), and after we may talk about useful additional security tools.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
BTW, you can / should run the Clean Full Uninstall tools for your olther AV tools you used to have (AVG or any other). Choose the correct one(s) from http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
Is adaware & spybot realtime on your machine I don't think so, so thay wont protect you until scan.
Adaware lost a lot of ratings over the years & so did spybot.
Malewarebytes is a great programe.
If you want a realtime free programe use windows defender, it's better then nothing & Maaleware bytes for a weekly scan.
& you must of downloaded a rogue programe, because filehippo wont even let you download V.4.8

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »
you must of downloaded a rogue programe, because filehippo wont even let you download V.4.8

For home users, the only site to download the REAL v4.8 of Avast is http://www.avast.com/download-software#tab2.

In any case, unless there is a problem with resources (RAM, CPU, Windows version), a home user should use the latest stable version of Avast (not some "latest alpha v4.8", which doesn't really exist).