Author Topic: System locking-up???  (Read 9274 times)

kodiak536

Re: System locking-up???
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
O.K, done all suggested and I am already running malwarebites and it found no problems before and now.

I downloaded Avast and installed it on my wife's PC(yes, it's official copy from Avast's web site).

2~3 minutes after install, system locked-up solid to where I needed to reboot...

Booted into "safe mode", attempted "last known good config" and rebooted...locked-up solid yet again! >:(

Reboot again in "safe mode", uninstalled Avast via "add remove program" and system back to normal ::)

Opened "regedit" and deleted any and all entries relating to Avast.

I'm done with Avast for my wife's PC...don't know what the heck is wrong but, it's very frustrating and annoying not to mention time consuming task to keep doing same things over & over again.

I'll just find the latest anti-virus OTHER THAN Avast and try it out for my wife's PC...Avast just don't work!

My PC is running just fine with Avast so, it will remain as is 8)

Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

nord

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
O.K, done all suggested and I am already running malwarebites and it found no problems before and now.

I downloaded Avast and installed it on my wife's PC(yes, it's official copy from Avast's web site).

2~3 minutes after install, system locked-up solid to where I needed to reboot...

Booted into "safe mode", attempted "last known good config" and rebooted...locked-up solid yet again! >:(

Reboot again in "safe mode", uninstalled Avast via "add remove program" and system back to normal ::)

Opened "regedit" and deleted any and all entries relating to Avast.

I'm done with Avast for my wife's PC...don't know what the heck is wrong but, it's very frustrating and annoying not to mention time consuming task to keep doing same things over & over again.

I'll just find the latest anti-virus OTHER THAN Avast and try it out for my wife's PC...Avast just don't work!

My PC is running just fine with Avast so, it will remain as is 8)

Although you've now moved on to other programs, I noticed that you used add/remove to get rid of Avast. The avast remover does a better job of getting rid of everything Avast on your system and then some kind of registry cleaner as a followup can find stuff that you may miss doing a manual search through Regedit.

jwall

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
kodiak536,
I have a similar problem, see the link: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83251.0

It works on one computer, but not on my other one.
I may try another reinstall of avast, but it is very time consuming (removing and then installing an AV that works) and at this point since using AVG, 'if it aint broke, don't fix it".  I much prefer avast though and want to try to make it work.
However, I am just very curious and it's driving me crazy why it won't work.
Despite the great support of members here, we haven't found a solution,I think we are stumped.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:56:21 PM by jwall »

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
90% of problems are program incompatibility IE old antivus programs etc.
Some banking sites offer free downloads of extra security one programme being Mcafee
& when downloaded computers become unstable.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Your wife can use Comodo Internet security suite.
I wonder if you checked Comodo firewall to see if it was blocking Avast.
Because it's strange Avast acting up on two computers.

jwall

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
How do you explain this only happens with avast and not other AVs?

kodiak536

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
kodiak536,
I have a similar problem, see the link: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83251.0

It works on one computer, but not on my other one.
I may try another reinstall of avast, but it is very time consuming (removing and then installing an AV that works) and at this point since using AVG, 'if it aint broke, don't fix it".  I much prefer avast though and want to try to make it work.
However, I am just very curious and it's driving me crazy why it won't work.
Despite the great support of members here, we haven't found a solution,I think we are stumped.

Good luck.

Yes, it is strange but, not beyond comprehension.

Wife and I have our own likes & dislikes on certain programs and games so, we don't have our PC's EXACTLY the same set-up.

I'm sure that it's one or more of her program that is causing this problem.

As I said, I'm searching for another  anti-virus program(may go back to AVG) on her PC but, mine still work fine with Avast, therefore I'm staying with it.

Something's changed on the new Avast that's causing this conflict along with her program(s).

We NEVER download stuff we don't like, such as bank offerings for security software download.

I always have the last say so on what goes into our PC for security reasons...what gets downloaded without our knowledge is beyond our control but, I do try to keep our PC's virus/adware/spyware/trojan free.

So far, we've been many years since the last infection of our PC's.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Maybe it’s a program conflicting at start up, if she’s got lots of programs starting up maybe you could uncheck them in start ---run msconfig enter start-up.
& if you can get into Avast go to settings  troubleshooting check box Load Avast only after loading  other services.