Author Topic: webrep plugin vs firefox v6!  (Read 13729 times)

molngab

webrep plugin vs firefox v6!
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
Hello!

The avast webrep plugin isn't Firefox 6.0 compatible.
The v6 of FF is now stable, not beta, so the default browser from mozilla.com.
Exist an FF v6 compatible version?

Thanks!

mattburles

Re: webrep plugin vs firefox v6!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
have to wait for a avast software update that will be compatible with FF6

that could be awhile because look how long it took to get it to work with FF5. the pre-release version lasted awhile.

gdiloren

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
Install the add-on compatibility reporter. Restart firefox and test all your addons for functionnality. WebRep works fine on FIREFOX 6 with it! ;)

jrace

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »
Install the add-on compatibility reporter. Restart firefox and test all your addons for functionnality. WebRep works fine on FIREFOX 6 with it! ;)

Mozilla page:   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Offline Morro41

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
They better wait i think, because i heard that FireFox 7 is already being tested. Heck they are going so fast that i am still using FF 4.01. :)
Windows 10 64bit /MSI Z370 Codex Gaming XE Desktop i5-9600K CPU 3.70GHz /16 GB DDR4 Memory /NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Graphics card /256 GB SSD /1TB HDD/External 5 TB WD Elements 25A3 USB Device

Raveen Kool

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
Firefox is getting updated fast........

So we have to wait for avast to update its plug ins.......

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
Firefox is getting updated fast........

So we have to wait for avast to update its plug ins.......
See reply 2

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
They better wait i think, because i heard that FireFox 7 is already being tested. Heck they are going so fast that i am still using FF 4.01. :)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

Firefox 7 moved from Aurora channel to Beta channel upon Firefox 6 release.  That's now Mozilla's current plan for releases.  There are people testing Firefox 8 on the nightly channel now.

Besides WebRep, two of my other extensions were disabled.  Since they are on AMO site https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/, they may be made compatible if there are sufficient reports that they work (via Add-on Compatibility Reporter) or such.  If not, then those will have to be updated by the extension publisher.  Fortunately, these two (and WebRep) are not what I would consider critical.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
LOL, as always... Webrep will work soon (I hope so), but I have to fight back the update for Kaspersky Password Manager I paid for... It's useless again, and their support is real pain in the a** :D I remember how long took to update it to work with v.5 :D

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »

I am using FF 7.0a2 which is the latest version of 7.0.

I heard that 7.0 Beta should be out later this week.

7.0 does a better job of handling memory.  When you close a tab or close FF, 7.0 entirely FF releases all the memory that it was using for that tab or for FF depending on which you close.

I have been using the Alpha version for a couple of weeks and so far no crashes.

Anyway word is that FF plans to do away with version numbers in the Help----About drop down.   I don't know when this is supposed to happen.  Once it does you will have to go to "about:support" to find out what version of FF you are using.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:41 AM »
It would be nice if the Mozilla folks would talk to the avast! folks.

Oh well..............
printed on 100% recycled bytes

avastconspiracy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
Sorry to be a worrywart, but could the people who are familiar with the Compatibility Report addon explain whether the compatibility reporter is "supposed" to function as a tool to use add-ons that have been identified by Mozilla as "incompatible".  I would like to use the compatibility report addon, but I have read that its supposed to be used for testing purposes only ???  I want to use CR b/c I want to use WebRep.  But I just want to make sure that forcing WebRep's (and other programs') use (compatibility) through something that's supposed to be a "testing" tool doesn't create any problems or issues I need to contemplate before installing and using CR.

Signed,
Avast "Worrywart" Conspiracy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:50:43 PM by avastconspiracy »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »
Just wait for the webrep to be updated it isn't a critical element of avast:
- The fact that you don't see the WebRep or it isn't compatible with the latest firefox version, doesn't lessen the avast protection.

You still have the Network Shield blocking known malicious sites and the Web Shield pre-scanning http content before it is displayed/run in your browser.

The WebRep is purely reputation based on avast user input. Later when the avast! virus labs start inputting information of detected malware, etc. into the webrep database, then it will be more of a security feature than just a reputational tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

n01clueless

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
If you want a site rater why not try Web Of Trust? It's the best there is. Knocks spots off McAfee Site Advisor. WebRep may be better one day but not yet.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
WOT, is no panacea either, there are many sites considered bad that aren't and vice versa. It should be use as guidance only.

Much the same can be said for the webrep when it is working in firefox6, until it starts to get input from the virus labs/communityIQ, etc. Then it will become more useful as a security based tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security