Author Topic: Why keep asking for "Minidumps" when we never see the solution here??  (Read 9725 times)

aglennon

I had two XP Pro machines that wouldn't run Avast after 5.0~~~

Same BSOD on both:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop: 0x000000D1

BlueScreenView always showed these highlighted:
hal.dll, HPT366.SYS (other pc was HPT374.SYS), NTOSKRNL.exe, SCSIPORT.SYS

Since these errors are the same, why keep asking for the same reports?

Someone here named przemek kept asking that I run different versions of AswMBR but would crash every time on both PC's.  He then asked that I alter the registry to created a very large Memory dump (was over 1GB!).  I posted on the ftp each time he asked.  I followed up with email after uploading these enormous error files.  Never heard another thing.  

The third PC in our home is XP Home (NOT Pro) and it's never had a problem with any Avast updates.  It's the XP PRO pc's that will no longer run Avast.  So someone on here acts like they're helping me, repeatedly asking me to run aswmbr which would not run on either pc - BSOD every time - Each version he requested.

I thought I was taking the time to contribute to the "cause" to make Avast better.  I have used Avast for many years and this was the first occasion that there was ever a problem.  Instead, I was asked to run a well-known faulty aswmbr which isn't always able to run on every machine for whatever reason, then left to hung out to dry.  All this has done is mess up two machines to the point that I'm going to have to reformat.  

I've been following this message board since the beginning of July when the new version came out and the BSOD's started.  And I see what other people are experiencing - it's not just my computers!  I still think it's related to XP Pro (not Home version).  If it was too much to ask for help then I wish that whomever przemek is wouldn't have asked that I send all of those minidumps to tell me absolutely nothing about what he found.  I don't care if it's the owner of Avast, don't lead people on!

We come here looking for help and answers - Not requests to send dumps.  How about Posting some follow-ups to these requests as to what was actually found in these reports?  I have read through so many related topics only to finish reading the last entries to "send error report" - no answer - no solution.

It's heartbreaking that such a good program for sooo... many years leaves us with the older machines to die our slow machine deaths...

One Abit IT7 and one Abit BE6 -both XP Pro- both maxed on RAM - plenty of HD space - had to clean out Avast and install a different anti-virus that wouldn't crash.  Windows Updates, drivers updated, last bios versions applied, regularly ran Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and AntiSpyware - Defragged often - TMPs kept cleaned out - clean machines lightly used but couldn't run Avast anymore - sorry to see you go.

Rixuel

Re: Why keep asking for "Minidumps" when we never see the solution here??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:57 AM »
I have SIMILAR & SAME problem too and I'm using Windows XP.

I sent my minidumps long time ago... I wonder when they will manage to fix it.

Well, "no effort"... it's just that I don't see a way to completely resolve this (relatively rare) issue without a major rewrite of one of the components, and that won't happen over night...
@BarbaBookie: thanks for the dump. Yes, this is known long-term BSOD in aswsp.sys (maybe over several years now), it's inside antirootkit component. To be honest, there's no vlk's effort to fix this bug so I don't believe it'll be fixed some day. I think, this problematic part will be removed in avast7 and it's your only hope... if you get this bsod often, please consider to turn off antirootkit component (uninstalling behavior shield? I'm not exactly sure how to disable it..)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:07:31 AM by Rixuel »

Light Archangel

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:33 AM »
Hello.

Is weird, I have a PC running avast 6.0.1203 on an XP Pro and no problems, no BSOD's and no slowdowns...

The request of minidumps is for further investigation of the problem, if the avast team don't answer i suppose that they are investigating the issue yet.

Sorry for your inconveniences  :(

Rixuel

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »
aglennon, how much RAM do you have?

aglennon

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
The Abit IT7 is maxed at 2GB (Crucial 1GB = PC2700/DDR333 and Crucial 1GB = PC2100/DDR266) This was the only combination that would allow the MB to recognize the max of 2GB and Crucial helped me with this config.  Has P4 3.06GHz/533/Socket 478 which was the highest it could handle.  Intel 82845E (MCH) and 82801DB (ICH4).  ATi Radeon 9600 (last driver update was over a year ago). Two Maxtor 250GB HDs - lots of space available.  Since BlueScreen keeps showing HPT374 (and HPT366 on other), thought that may be the problem, but when HighPoint quit updating that driver, what else could I do?  Have never OC'd - just defaults.

Since this is an older board and Abit is no more, there haven't been any BIOS updates in several years and there probably won't be.  The IT7 is very finicky but I've learned to work with it with no hardware issues from day one.

The other Abit BE6 is really old but has always ran well for what it's worth.  It's lightly used a couple of times a week for email, that's about it.  Maxed at 768MB SDRAM/3 slots/Crucial, P3 850MHz/100fsb Slot 1 highest CPU, 40GB HD (not much on it), Intel 440BX chipset, ATi Radeon 9200SE, HPT366.  Everything that can be updated always is and it's a clean machine.

Avast is the only antivirus we've ever used and have never had an infection.  I've even ran several rootkit programs - nothing found.  If there's malware, I can't find it.  They're clean.

Thank You

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
@aglennon,

I understand your frustration. In a way, is the same frustration that some forum members can feel when after several posts offering help in a topic, the OP doesn't come back to say what finally happened, or what the he/she did.

Although I don't know all the specific details of your particular problem, and taking a "risk" of receiving a bad response, I'd like to ask:

Have you checked if any of the patches / behaviours apply to you?

Some patches are located at http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/patches. Please read carefully the situations where they apply, including Avast edition (Free/Pro/IS), version number (6.0.1203 only), OS...

To be clear, those patches may not solve your problems, and there might be additional patches / workaround / solutions, and there is also a possibility that Avast might be triggering some problem / issue but the solution is not to be found in Avast.

In some cases, Avast Team finds a solution to the memory dumps (or in fact, to the original problem that caused it) but they don't always report it in the adequate / original topic. They simply wait to release the next version, where the problem should be resolved (or, in some cases, they don't solve the problem). This is beyond the answers that common forum members can offer/suggest, and of course out of our (common forum members) control.

DavidCo

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
It would be nice to know what the patch ap2011-24-07-001: Patch for ntdll.dll syscall exports (Free/Pro/IS) actually did?

And as there is a new version somewhere (NOTE: the patch is intended for build 6.0.1203 and it will invalidate itself with the new program update)

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
It would be nice to know what the patch ap2011-24-07-001: Patch for ntdll.dll syscall exports (Free/Pro/IS) actually did?
If I'm not mistaken, that patch was created to solve a bug shown by a BSOD that DavidR had (and he was the first to report it), and the bug was there for a while but never discovered before. Whether that means that the behaviour/situation that triggers the problem is "rare" (infrequent) or not is a different issue.

And as there is a new version somewhere (NOTE: the patch is intended for build 6.0.1203 and it will invalidate itself with the new program update)
That phrase just clarifies 3 points.

First, the patch was tested in "alpha" versions (builds) of Avast after 6.0.1203 and was successfully applied by users under v6.0.1203 which solved the problem for them.

Second, the patch will be part of a future release of Avast, so there is no need to apply it if you will be using a version of Avast after 6.0.1203 (probably in a few months from now).

Third, the patch was NOT tested under previous versions of Avast before 6.0.1203, so if you are using anything older than that version, please avoid applying the patch since the results are unknown.

So if you have problems under the specific situations shown by each patch (meaning, if one patch says for XP *only*, then please avoid using it for Seven), and you know what you are doing, then you might want to try the patch (and reboot) to see if that solves your problem. Otherwise, wait for the next available version of Avast and you will receive it, if it fits for your system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
I think people are jumping on this patch far too soon almost as soon as anyone mentions a BSOD XP.

My situation didn't match any that are discussed here. My BSOD was totally nondescript. No main Title and no files mentioned in the BSOD.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
I think people are jumping on this patch far too soon almost as soon as anyone mentions a BSOD XP.

My situation didn't match any that are discussed here. My BSOD was totally nondescript. No main Title and no files mentioned in the BSOD.

@DavidR,

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending to use ANY specific patch to anyone. I only answered DavidCo's question.

Having said that, when:
1_ a system has a problem; and
2_ there is no real answer, solution or workaround (for too long); and
3_ the patch was tested by devs and other users and successfully works; and
4_ the general conditions are met;

then I see no problem in applying the patch.

For example, say you comply with the above conditions, some defrag tools are having problems with Avast (or the other way around) but your specific defrag program is not mentioned in the conditions for that patch. In such case, I would have to choose whether to "suffer" the situation until at least the next program update, or try the patch.

Making a restore point before applying the patch would be recommended, but other than that, I don't see any problem with trying the patch with the required cautions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:58 AM »
That's the problem, even mentioning the patch location, when that area doesn't give any detailed information on the circumstances surrounding the problem which the patch resolves.

I suspect some people are going to apply a patch which isn't going to resolve the problem and who know what ramifications that might have.

It is all right saying the patches have been tested and other users, but only in the circumstances that the patch was designed to resolve.

Sorry, but I don't think we should be directing anyone to the patches location, unless it is clear what their problem is and which patch has been designed to resolve that problem.

I responded directly to your post, where you specified the problem I found/had that resulted in the patch talking about ap2011-24-07-001 here, and I said none of those posting in this topic had the same symptoms that I did.

I never said I complied with anything and no one in this topic has even mentioned defrag tools, if they did then there might be a case for trying the patch specific to those defrag tools.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:44:41 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:26:12 AM »
That's the problem, even mentioning the patch location, when that area doesn't give any detailed information on the circumstances surrounding the problem which the patch resolves.
Well, there are "some" details, not "all" though. The user can ask, and/or search the forum for more info/examples/solutions.
I suspect some people are going to apply a patch which isn't going to resolve the problem and who know what ramifications that might have.
That might be true, but I clearly said that I am NOT recommending applying ANY patches to general users (although, it will happen in some way or another in a future program update). Under the situation presented by the OP, I still though that it was a possible path to choose. Choosing that path (applying any of those patches where it fits) is still under the responsibility of the final user, and they should know what they are doing. I also mentioned the other "option" they have: waiting for the next program update.

It is all right saying the patches have been tested and other users, but only in the circumstances that the patch was designed to resolve.
Technically, you are correct, and I agree with you that ideally the patches should only be applied under certain specific circumstances. But under the situation presented by the OP, the option might be not being able to use Avast at all. So, either they at least try those patches, or they move on to a different AV directly.

Sorry, but I don't think we should be directing anyone to the patches location, unless it is clear what their problem is and which patch has been designed to resolve that problem.
I already saw many recommendations about the patches, and not always all the data was there to say that the original problem was indeed the same that triggered the creation of the patches. The problem described by a user might not be exactly the same, but under no real alternative solutions, some applicable patch might still be a solution.

I responded directly to your post, where you specified the problem I found/had that resulted in the patch talking about ap2011-24-07-001 here, and I said none of those posting in this topic had the same symptoms that I did.
Yes, understood. I was NOT the first one in this topic to mention that specific patch. I just wanted to make it clear that I did not recommend any patches. I publish the available information for the use of such user simply "waiting" to receive some kind of answer after uploading memory dumps.

I happen to agree with the OP. If someone is requested to upload a memory dump, takes the time to upload it and present the case here, I think at least "some" kind of practical answer should be presented (not always would be a satisfying answer). At least there should be a response saying "we indeed got your file/report/upload/dump and we are analyzing it", or "the problem will be solved only in the next program update", or "we need more info, like..." or any real answer, even when it may be "we have absolutely no idea why your system crashed" for example. There are cases where the upload may have failed, and the uploader don't have any means to know it, so at least a simple confirmation that the file was successfully received and it is readable is not, IMHO, too much to ask.

I never said I complied with anything and no one in this topic has even mentioned defrag tools, if they did then there might be a case for trying the patch specific to those defrag tools.
It was an example. My point was that there is a problem between Avast 6.0.1203 and "some" defraggers, and while maybe a specific defragger is not mentioned/listed there in the patches, the solution may apply too. So this is an example of a described problem not being "exactly" complying to the situation that originated a patch, but where the patch might help anyway.

DavidR, I agree with you. This is not "for everyone". Even some of those users with the same "exact" problem might not have the knowledge to correctly apply the relevant patch. But let's face it: in certain cases the information about the patches is better than "no answer" (hence, apparently "no solution").

Someone might (wrongly) think that is better not to give the information at all, and to leave a user with no possible answer (as the OP in this topic). Someone might (wrongly) think that it is better not to offer any patches at all, just because "in some situations" the patches shouldn't be applied, leaving ALL users with no solution at all.

I tend to think that the patches are important and relevant enough to be available before the next program update. If they are not stable enough, then the devs should improve them.

For those users that might use them where they shouldn't (the patch says it is specifically for XP, the user has Seven and he decides to apply it anyway), then I tend to think that it is still better that the patch is available (and users know about it). Every user is still THE OWNER of the system, and the responsibility is on his/her side, together with the possibility of moving on to another AV tool without trying any patch (or *any* other possible solution to the problem, for that matter).

alfun

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
aglennon - I have similar problem.  Have you found a solution?  Did reformat work for you?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
This is an old topic and the avast 6.0.1289 (released after this topic was even created)  resolved many of those BSODs in the update itself.

So if you are having a problem with BSODs and you have avast 6.0.1289, then it would be best to create your own new topic rather than piggyback on old topics which were for earlier avast builds.

alfun

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »
This is an old topic and the avast 6.0.1289 (released after this topic was even created)  resolved many of those BSODs in the update itself.

So if you are having a problem with BSODs and you have avast 6.0.1289, then it would be best to create your own new topic rather than piggyback on old topics which were for earlier avast builds.
I will create a new topic, but I thought it would be better to piggyback on old topic because I have very similar problem and system specification as aglennon.  Also I was wondering if aglennon has found a solution or not.  It would be easier for the next person to find a solution here than to keep reading a lot of threads like aglennon has stated.  I have too read a lot of threads where the last entry said to "send error report" - no answer - no solution and am tired of it.

Since this BSOD looks to be a common problem someone should really make a thread and list all the solutions available and sticky that thread.

Here is my thread - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=85791.0 I hope it will make it easier for the next person to find a solution if I ever find a solution to fix my BSOD problem.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:44:38 PM by alfun »