Author Topic: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue  (Read 25323 times)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:21 AM »
Can we see a screenshot of the alert, for future reference for us here?

Ok, nabbed one off the avast Facebook page...this is what it looks like.

I like that! I wish there was a way to stop them from  using avast! for FREE.

I mean, I pay, why shouldn't they?
printed on 100% recycled bytes

sniperfodder

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »
Yep! That's the exact screen I saw. Bloody scared it me it did XD

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Hi all,

we will show this screen again few times this week. If you are running a home network, please just close the screen and accept our apologies. We haven't found a better way how to target the business environment more precisely.

Thank you
Martin

sniperfodder

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
Not a problem. Now that I know what it is I'm not going to freak out. XD

InTheAir

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
I don't know how this would stand in court but maybe ask a question in the box like:  "It appears you are using our software in a corporate environment.  In order to remove this message please answer the following question.  Are you using our software for home use or for corporate/business use?".

If they answer "home" then the message doesn't appear again.  If they do in fact use the software for business and select "home" then you have them on record.

Just an idea...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
If they answer "home" then the message doesn't appear again.  If they do in fact use the software for business and select "home" then you have them on record.
The problem is, how to prove it...

There will always be an issue of finding the balance between preventing this and causing issues for genuine users (e.g. sniperfodder)

For example, I imagine that there are a few people that only use 1 pc with avast free on it in a business environment, how to catch that without causing trouble for all those normal users that use it legitimately.

As it stands now, I am glad that avast are trying to prevent this from happening (finally ;)), and by doing it the way they are now there are two benefits:

1. Most, typical avast users are not affected (but there will always be some, case in point this thread)
2. They are targeting the situations where it has the most impact on them commercially, i.e. those that may be requiring many licenses.

And another thing...it is nice to see a thread about an avast popup that is well received...rather than "blah...I will remove...blah..." you get what I mean... :) (kudos to you sniperfodder :))

Nesivos

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
The popup is genuine. We recently ran a "campaign" like this.
The check is pretty simple: if the computer is part of ActiveDirectory, and there's more then 3 computers in the AD, avast thinks it's a business environment (as opposed to home environment).

This may cause some very small number of "false positives", but is generally quite accurate.
If you're really using avast for non-commercial purposes at home, please accept our apologies.

Thanks
Vlk

I am not sure why a "home user" would install RSAT tools including Active Directory unless they live on an estate?

Does anyone have any ideas why a "home user" would have a need for or want to install RSAT tools unless they live on an estate?

Thanks

spg SCOTT

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
Surely sniperfodder's response to Vlk's post would answer that question?

Oh yea, not a problem. I completely understand what you mean. My server, My dad's PC, My Gaming Rig, My laptop, My Brother's PC, and a spare PC are all on the domain. It makes it easier on the family if we all have a login that can work on each other's PC, as well as the ability to push out software and the like to all the machines on the domain. As far as I know my PC is the only machine on the network with Avast running on it.

And to be honest, if I had that many pcs, then I would be looking to do the same thing...

InTheAir

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »
I use it to disable accounts when one of my kids is not allowed on the computer.  I also like that anyone can log into any computer and get their data and settings.

I used to be in IT and I was lucky enough to have Microsoft send me a 5 user Windows 2003 Standard Edition... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be using a domain.  I have 10 PCs (3 virtual) on the network and 4 wireless devices, but only 4 run Windows with Avast.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:51:46 PM by InTheAir »

Nesivos

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »
So it sounds like when people turn their network into a corporate business type network by using RTS tools and Active Directory that avast! nails them with this reminder.

Avast has it correct again. ;D

sniperfodder

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »
And another thing...it is nice to see a thread about an avast popup that is well received...rather than "blah...I will remove...blah..." you get what I mean... :) (kudos to you sniperfodder :))

Yea, I like Avast. Plus it's not the program's fault that the program is doing it's job XD

I use it to disable accounts when one of my kids is not allowed on the computer.  I also like that anyone can log into any computer and get their data and settings.

I used to be in IT and I was lucky enough to have Microsoft send me a 5 user Windows 2003 Standard Edition... if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be using a domain.  I have 10 PCs (3 virtual) on the network and 4 wireless devices, but only 4 run Windows with Avast.

Hahaha Yea. If I ever kids they are going to hate me, since I'm pretty decent with PC's :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »
Good movement of antipiracy.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
The popup is genuine. We recently ran a "campaign" like this.
The check is pretty simple: if the computer is part of ActiveDirectory, and there's more then 3 computers in the AD, avast thinks it's a business environment (as opposed to home environment).

This may cause some very small number of "false positives", but is generally quite accurate.
If you're really using avast for non-commercial purposes at home, please accept our apologies.

Thanks
Vlk
But, will the popup coming back again and again? ???

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
No Tech, we will just show it few more times and then it stops.

Martin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
No Tech, we will just show it few more times and then it stops.

Martin
Thanks. Good policy. And, please ;), run it from time to time :)