Author Topic: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue  (Read 25231 times)

sniperfodder

Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
I'm using the Free version of Avast on my gaming rig. Earlier today I logged onto my PC to discover Avast complaining that I was using Avast in a corporate environment without paying for it. That's great and all, Except I'm not in a corporate environment. The question I have to ask is, how do i assure avast that I'm running it for personal use? Or is that random pop up box just going to happen once every other month? Also, do I have to worry about Avast deactivating itself if I just ignore the pop up box?

If it makes any difference... My PC is joined to a Domain, but it's my personal domain that I run at home. It makes managing my families PC's that much easier.

ady4um

Re: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:07 AM »
Please forgive me for asking this.

Open Avast main GUI -> maintenance -> About Avast.

You should see there your program version and the virus definition version. Just above Program Version and under "Information about avast! security application.", you should see the exact complete name of the program. What exactly is the name of the program?

The reason I ask is that is very common for users to download a trial edition of Avast (Pro or IS), thinking it is the same as the Free edition. It is NOT the same.

If the complete name displayed there is "avast! Free Antivirus", then maybe the problem could be the domain issue (please don't take my word about this; you would need someone else confirming that).

If the complete name displayed there is NOT "avast! Free Antivirus", but instead is something similar (but still different), then your edition of Avast is not really the "free" edition.

The Free edition is legally used under a home, non-commercial situation and still requires a simple free registration once a year.

sniperfodder

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
Nope, it says "avast! Free Antivirus" as well as Program Version: 6.0.1.203. I've been using the free edition since I installed avast. Under Registration it says I'm registered from 5/16/2011 to 5/15/2012.

That's the only thing I can think of for avast moaning about me using it in a business, cause probably 95%+ of home networks use work group instead of domain. I'm just worried about it thinking I'm violating the license terms and terminating my protection.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:06:57 AM »
I'm using the Free version of Avast on my gaming rig. Earlier today I logged onto my PC to discover Avast complaining that I was using Avast in a corporate environment without paying for it. That's great and all, Except I'm not in a corporate environment. The question I have to ask is, how do i assure avast that I'm running it for personal use? Or is that random pop up box just going to happen once every other month? Also, do I have to worry about Avast deactivating itself if I just ignore the pop up box?

If it makes any difference... My PC is joined to a Domain, but it's my personal domain that I run at home. It makes managing my families PC's that much easier.

If the popup is asking for money my guess is that it is Malware and your computer is infected.

sniperfodder

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:20:45 AM »
Then I guess Avast is malware then. I have no rogue process's and the popup came from Avast itself.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
After appearing not to worry too much about corporate use of 'avast! Free' for so long, it would be ironic if this is a genuine attempt to alert corporate users to the restrictions of the Free version, that it results in "collateral damage".

That said, I would have guessed that the number of people with home domains is very small. The idea is good but the cost of MS Server OS and licensing has always been an effective road-block for me.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:54:49 AM »
The popup is genuine. We recently ran a "campaign" like this.
The check is pretty simple: if the computer is part of ActiveDirectory, and there's more then 3 computers in the AD, avast thinks it's a business environment (as opposed to home environment).

This may cause some very small number of "false positives", but is generally quite accurate.
If you're really using avast for non-commercial purposes at home, please accept our apologies.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

sniperfodder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
Oh yea, not a problem. I completely understand what you mean. My server, My dad's PC, My Gaming Rig, My laptop, My Brother's PC, and a spare PC are all on the domain. It makes it easier on the family if we all have a login that can work on each other's PC, as well as the ability to push out software and the like to all the machines on the domain. As far as I know my PC is the only machine on the network with Avast running on it.

I'm glad to know it was just a campaign trying to target those business's that use your software against your TOS. I haven't run with an Anti-Virus in well over 2 years prior to starting avast. I used Avast to sort of check and see how well I was doing without one. Suffice it to say I was doing fine, but I like the fact that Avast works well (I've recommended it to several people I've helped who had virus's, and Avast took care of them) and is low impact on my system.

I'd pay for the Pro version, but the Free one has the features I want and I'm short on funds. Thanks for making avast and letting me know about this dialogue :)

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
My apologies in advance for this OT.

@Vlk, it's not "nice" to delete valid posts that are respecting the forum's rules  >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
@Vlk, it's not "nice" to delete valid posts that are respecting the forum's rules  >:(
Why do you think it was Vlk who did anything with them? ???
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »
Why do you think it was Vlk who did anything with them? ???
Although this is OT, I don't want to leave your question in the air.

Before Vlk posted in this topic, there were a couple of spammers/trolls/trashers posting all over the forum, including in this topic.

I (and others) posted (in this topic and others) after one of those non-welcomed posts, yet before Vlk.

I have reasons to believe that those trashing posts were deleted, together with some other valid posts, including mine.

Not only Vlk happened to post in this topic after my (deleted, not by me) post, but he is also the Global Moderator of the forum.

Whether, he in particular is the specific mod that deleted those valid posts (mine was NOT the only one), or whether some other mod decided to "massively" delete posts (valid or otherwise), is not the *key* word/phrase in my previous post.

From my point of view, as a simple common forum member, Vlk is still the main address to respectfully request to avoid this type of actions.

Let's close this OT, and hope this won't happen again.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »
Can we see a screenshot of the alert, for future reference for us here?

sniperfodder

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:17 AM »
Sorry, I didn't think to screen shot it when it Occurred. I only realized after I closed the dialogue that maybe I should come ask about it.

I can describe it as the following: It contains the look and feel of Avast. The only exception is up top is a Box in red and white that informs the user that using avast for business with a personal license is against the TOS. Below the box is a dialogue that looks like most avast purchase pages.

69385vette

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »
I am also getting this warning. Is there no way to stop it? I do runh a home domain with more than 3 workstations...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Can we see a screenshot of the alert, for future reference for us here?

Ok, nabbed one off the avast Facebook page...this is what it looks like.