Author Topic: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue  (Read 25235 times)

agaru

Re: Avast Corporate Warning Dialogue
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
I guess I should read the EULA again since I don't remember agreeing that Avast could collect info on my workgroup or domain.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
It doesn't collect anything, everything's done locally.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 03:47:32 AM »
I guess I should read the EULA again since I don't remember agreeing that Avast could collect info on my workgroup or domain.
Are you in this situation? I mean, using avast free in corporate environment? ;)
The best things in life are free.

oaomcg

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
so... how do i stop these popups? i get this a few times a week.
i also am put off by the fact that Avast is looking at the details of my domain. i didn't agree to allow this program that access.

Gargamel360

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »
They will stop on their own, this is a limited time thing.
Avast is looking at the details of my domain. i didn't agree to allow this program that access.
Sure you did, you installed an active security program that scans your network. ;)

sniperfodder

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »

Reading back to page two you will find....

Hi all,

we will show this screen again few times this week. If you are running a home network, please just close the screen and accept our apologies. We haven't found a better way how to target the business environment more precisely.

Thank you
Martin

I actually have NOT Seen the pop up anymore since the first time it has shown. Which confuses me. XD

i also am put off by the fact that Avast is looking at the details of my domain. i didn't agree to allow this program that access.

Like Gargamel360 said, you did. Avast has shields that run constantly in the background unless you disable them. They pretty much look at everything on your PC. I could write a java program that looks at the domain someone is on if I wanted to while it ran. The difference is AVAST doesn't collect that information and send it back, they just use it to trigger a window, client side.

Honestly, I feel having the pop up window is a relatively small price to pay for something that is provided to me free. And Avast works too. I understand you may not like that it does that, and you maybe don't want them collecting information about your network, but you have to trust the company to use their product. If you can't trust them, then don't use Avast.

Avast_U

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 11:15:06 PM »
Thanks for clarifying this for us!

Unfortunately, my corporate life requires us to use that other virus protection package that begins with an M... :-X  With that, I'm also licensed to use it on my home network, but choose to only run it on my servers.  All Windows 7 boxes are running Avast! Free.  Love the product and get everyone I know to switch. :D

Yes, that's correct...  I'm running multiple servers...  and I'm running a number of Windows 7 systems. ;)  All of which are in AD.  I'm not on some estate, but I do take full advantage of RSAT, Active Directory (thank you MSDN subscription), and VMware.  Our photo, music, and movie libraries are all centralized, and SharePoint is what we use for our file shares and family planning/scheduling, amongst other things.  To top that off, the kids can only log onto their systems under specific time restrictions, and have limitations on what they can do to their PCs and where they can surf. 8)

Basically, my home network is a test bed.  The family are my guinea pigs.  My wife has a PC and laptop, each of my kids have PCs, I have a PC and laptop (besides the work laptop that has that M product on it), and we have a couple of PCs that are dedicated Windows Media Center boxes attached to TVs.  In addition, there's a PC set up in the guest room and one in the kitchen.  All are on the domain and all are centrally managed.  All have Avast! Free. ;D  ...  and yes...  all have this message popping up.  No biggy now!

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
to sniperfodder:
I actually have NOT Seen the pop up anymore since the first time it has shown. Which confuses me. XD
After the first launch we increased the limit for connected computers in domain to 5. So if you have home network with less than 5 PCs, you shouldn't see the popup anymore.

Martin

sniperfodder

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »
Interesting, are you viewing "Active" PC's? Cause I have 6 or so PC's joined to the domain, but only have 3 that have actually interacted with the domain in the past 6 months.

oaomcg

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
still getting this
i thought it was supposed to stop

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
Hi,
it has been restarted today, will display 3 times this week.

jtull89

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
If you are using Avast on a laptop in a college dormitory, is it normal to get this message?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »
Are you actually getting the message ?
As I believe it would require that there be 5 or more avast free users active on the network.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jtull89

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
I actually am getting the message, yes. Our university issues students laptops that come with F-Prot Antivirus, which I don't entirely like, and I recently decided to switch  back to good ol' Avast. I've received these messages I'd estimate three times; I suppose a lot of other people had the same thought I did.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »
They periodically run this check and they have just run it again this week (3 times) as MartinZ said in his post. The problem being that with a lot of people connected to a network it must look like a small business network would look.

I don't know if others on the network might well have changed their systems to avast, quite possible as you thought.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security