Author Topic: My clock is slow  (Read 7602 times)

pfbrown26

My clock is slow
« on: November 02, 2004, 10:51:54 PM »
Since I installed avast, I noticed that the clock in my taskbar is 20-30 minutes slow.  I keep setting it to the right time and it goes back to the wrong time.  I changed the time in the BIOS thinking that this would solve the problem, but I noticed that it is 30 minutes slow again.  Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening?  PS - I don't think it's the CMOS battery because I just started having this problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:My clock is slow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 10:54:12 PM »
Well, it's almost imposible to be due to avast...  :-[
Did you run a full scan... I know that some viruses change the date/time of the system but slowing the clock seems, unlike you said, the CMOS battery. Are you using XP? Can you correct the time and see it the behavior persists?

Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:55:21 PM »
This behaviour is either caused by application you have installed (not likely it is Avast) or a broken motherboard.

Does the time in the bios stays accurate? If not, your motherboard is broken.

A battery loosing its power (running empty) does not slow down the clock. It either keep the settings correct or loose them.

If it is not software (mostly it isn't the software), than it is the circuitry on the mobo that handles the time (chrystal, and some other electronic parts) that is breaking down.

Easy way to test.
- Create a win98(se) bootfloppy.
- Boot to the bios.
- Set time/date correctly
- Reboot and use the bootfloppy
- Leave the system on for about 72 hours (this is needed to avoid that you won't notice a very small change in the time, depending on how bad it is, you can see a time shift earlier)
- Check the time
- If it is not correct anymore, your motherboard is broken
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 11:01:07 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:04:39 PM »
pfbrown26, you're in good company of the hardware guru here.
Thanks Eddy to save me here and for the help  8)
The best things in life are free.

pfbrown26

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 11:05:07 PM »
I will try to scan again.  Maybe it's the motherboard.  I noticed that the fan is making alot of noise when I cold boot my system.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 11:13:40 PM »
Fan making a lot of noice, and I assume it didn't made that noise when you bought the system, can mean two things.

1] Fan is dirty and needs to be cleaned. (Likely the entire system)
2] Fan needs to be replaced because it is worn out.

Is this the cpu fan, psu fan or a case fan?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 11:39:50 PM »
A battery loosing its power (running empty) does not slow down the clock. It either keep the settings correct or loose them.

Thanks for adding to my haphazard education, Eddy.  :)  I think way back when, there was a time when a clock running slow actually was most likely due to CMOS battery starting to run down, but obviously there's been lots of changes in system design since then.

I can't remember ever having a system where the battery didn't usually outlast the mobo or other critical components.  And on every system I can remember owning, the clock has actually run slightly fast, gaining about a minute a month relative to atomic-clock references.  (Or maybe the atomic clocks are running slow?  ;) )
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 11:50:36 PM »
the clock has actually run slightly fast, gaining about a minute a month relative to atomic-clock references.
Actually it is a chrystal that regulates the pulses from which the time is "calculated", the cheaper the chrystal is, the more change you have that the time will show a little difference to the "official time messurements"

If you want a very accurate time you need to have chrystals as organisations like NASA are using and highly reliable electronic components which will make the mobo's a lot more expensive. So manufactures are using "the middle road". Accuracy/price.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 11:58:42 PM »
This crystal is located in an oval "chip" that looks almost like condensator (or how its called in english). Its usually located near CMOS battery.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

techie101

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:07:36 AM »
Rej,

A condensor is also referred to as a Capacitor.

PfBrown stated that his fan was noisy.  If the circulation is not sufficient to cool the unit, the MB will heat up to a point and cause diode or silicate breakdown.  It can also cause the MB to "flex" breaking the copper lands and strips that connect components.

I would clean or replace the fan, blow out the "guts" of dust, and try the unit again.

techie101

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 12:09:50 AM »
pf,

If all else fails, gently pick up the computer and shake it from side to side a few times and then put it down.

It always works for my watch.   ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 12:11:43 AM »
Yeah capacitor :) I was thinking about that word,but i was not 100% sure :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog