Author Topic: No voiceover after virus updates  (Read 12458 times)

KPaw

Re: No voiceover after virus updates
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
Hi again, although the path is a bit different, I do have the 1033 files in the sounds directory... this realy is baffling..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Having the folder isn't the issue, it is having the files needed for the sounds, especially the one for the Virus_db_Update.wav.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

KPaw

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:15 PM »
Yes, that file is there along with five others... interesting thing I just noticed is that those files are also sitting outside of the "sounds" file with the exception of the 'welcome' wav which I do not have selected as I believe it's only applicable to Windows 7 and I use XP... So, not sure why those files are also sitting outside of that file... I apologize - I'm not the most technical person...

.. but the sound issue wouldn't explain why there is not even a pop-up, would it?

I really appreciate your help.

KPaw

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
OK, maybe now I am getting somewhere but I don't know what to do...within that 1033 file I clicked "play" on the virus update wav file and ... it played but it also opened iTunes....as did the other Avast wav files.. they all played and they all opened iTunes...

Help.... I rarely use iTunes so this is very odd...

iroc9555

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »
Kpaw.

Do not worry about iTunes. It is just that you have iTunes set to play your wav files as I have my wav files to be played by VLC.

KPaw

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »
Ok.. but how do I get Avast to play that wav file when it completes it anti-virus update?? that's the issue...

KPaw

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »
If I click on Properties under each wav file and change it to Avast will that work?

iroc9555

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:14 PM »
... interesting thing I just noticed is that those files are also sitting outside of the "sounds" file with the exception of the 'welcome' wav...

Everything is the right way. I also have them like you said above.

I would not change anything under properties.

If DavidR does not have any more ideas, I would have to say the problem lays in the registry.

If repairing Avast did nothing, you would have to uninstall it ( use removing tool ) and reinstall again.

Regards.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:56:34 AM by iroc9555 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »
Well I think we are heading in that direction (clean reinstall including the use of the uninstall utility from safe mode) as a repair didn't resolve the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

KPaw

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »
Yes, I think I will have to un-install and start over... I'm not very happy as I had problems upon insallation and had to install two patches for XP and now, a month later, more problems...

Thanks everyone for your help.  Much appreciated.

KPaw

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »
Well I think we are heading in that direction (clean reinstall including the use of the uninstall utility from safe mode) as a repair didn't resolve the problem.

So, I just un-install from Add/Remove programs and start all over.. what happens to my registration?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
Clean reinstall actions:
- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1203 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

You would need to register again from the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section.

KPaw

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »
Actually, I don't feel comfortable doing anything in safe mode.. if I just un-install that's not sufficient?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:22:53 AM by KPaw »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »
The uninstall tool ensures that all remnants are removed (to ensure a clean start) and it is 'recommended' it is run from safe mode.

Whilst you can try just a normal add remove programs uninstall, but there no guarantee of a completely clean start point for the install, the choice is yours.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:43:16 AM by DavidR »

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »
Actually, I don't feel comfortable doing anything in safe mode.. if I just un-install that's not sufficient?

Using the Clean Uninstall method under Windows Safe Mode will get you better chances of resolving the issue.

Since you are not receiving database update tray notifications either, you have no way to know "exactly" when a sound should be heared.

Had you knew "exactly" when a sound should be heard, then I would had suggested to try the following (might had worked, but not for sure).

While an Avast notification is displayed, and a sound is supposed to be heard, you could:
1_ right-click on the "Volume" icon in your tray area;
2_ open Volume Mixer;
3_ look at the volume level and mute status of the "Avast" column.

If Avast is (supposed to be) performing a sound, a column should be displayed in the Windows Volume Mixer. This column is only displayed while the sound is heard, and that's why I say that you need to wait for some notification to be displayed (and its correspondent sound to, in theory, be heard).

After you confirm that the "Avast" column in the Windows Volume Mixer is correct (say, 100%) AND NOT in mute, you should at least wait for the next notification to actually be able to test if the sound is now active and is heard.

The only problem is, that you are not receiving database updates tray notifications either :(.