Author Topic: Why has avast plummeted???????  (Read 10227 times)

Offline sooners2win

Why has avast plummeted???????
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »
Off the top 20 downloads, on download.com  :o
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why has avast plummeted???????
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:18:34 AM »
I think it's because the last program update was a long time ago.
Or maybe the market share increase is not so easy nowadays, after a huge increase of the last years.
The best things in life are free.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:26:04 AM »
I dunno, I just though strange that AVG was 917K, Sorry azz Avira was over 500K, and Avast only 145K.........looks like people been having too many problems or something with those low numbers. Even less downloads than Ad-Aware free IS......whoa!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:28:38 AM by sooners2win »
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:47:07 AM »
Off the top 20 downloads, on download.com  :o

So what ?

I couldn't give a stuff about downloads, what I do care about is how avast can protect its users.

You are looking at one single download source, whilst it is one of the larger ones I still say that it isn't an accurate representation, I don't even go looking for cr*p like that as it is worthless information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »
Off the top 20 downloads, on download.com  :o

So what ?

I couldn't give a stuff about downloads, what I do care about is how avast can protect its users.

You are looking at one single download source, whilst it is one of the larger ones I still say that it isn't an accurate representation, I don't even go looking for cr*p like that as it is worthless information.
All I'm saying is last time I was on download.com Avast was #2 behind AVG and on there ass in downloads, now suddenly downloads are shit. Got to be something to that!

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:57:58 AM »
Avast is to good for the top downloads list on download.com i think  ;D   AVG is on there i think cause AVG's users want AVG to try to get as good as Avast  :P
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

DarkMasters

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
It's because many people including me are rather downloading any software (especially computer security software) straight from it's source than third party download sites like download.com.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
It’s nice to have free download sites, but downloading firewalls or antivirus programs from third party sites is a no no for me.
Why when you can go straight to the website like Avast or Comodo.
& who’s not to say there’s an Avg or Avira employee downloading 20 + a day to get ratings up.
Or people are having problems & need to re download.

Avast   169,212,336 million registrations and growing

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
Just for the record, in 9 years I've never downloaded avast! from 'download.com'.
Of course I'm sure plenty of other people have but I always recommend going straight to the vendor.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
Downloads mean absolutely nothing.

AVG (or any other application) may have been downloaded a million times a day, the question is how many machines did it stay on?  We all try software and dump it for something else.

The stats on sites like that are totally meaningless just like the crap reviews you see there.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
If you take the time to read the user reviews you will notice that a lot of people download a piece of software just to test/try it. The bad reviews are also a result of someone having a bad experience with a particular software. I will admit that while I had my Acer I downloaded AVG just to test it...it really sucked. The number of downloads on cnet.com (download.com) is totally meaningless, not to mention misleading. avast has over 168 or 169 million registered users.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »
I think that's because you were redirected to download.cm from avast.com when you wanted to download avast! in the past, but now you aren't redirected.

Gargamel360

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »
I still get sent to Cnet...but it might be regional, determining who goes where for the DL, or maybe random.

Given that Cnet wants you to download their own software downloader just to download from them now, I'll pass on any more download.com anyway, and that also might have something to do with this.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
I had to find out for myself. Went to avast.com...clicked download...eventually I was redirected to download.com (cnet.com).  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
I still get sent to Cnet...but it might be regional, determining who goes where for the DL, or maybe random.

Given that Cnet wants you to download their own software downloader just to download from them now, I'll pass on any more download.com anyway, and that also might have something to do with this.

I tried it some weeks ago and I wasn't redirected then........
I don't know why and now why not...

The decrease is maybe because avast! still has bugs and problems, and I meet many cases where avast! let through malwares into the computers. I don't want to blame avast! to much, but that's what I recognise.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope what I'm writing is understandable.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:43:25 PM by 12-es_csaj »