Author Topic: 100% CPU  (Read 6220 times)

jwall

100% CPU
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
What would cause cpu to immediately go to 100% when manually starting a scan?  For example, doing a quick scan from the main menu.

This is/was on the version prior to 1203.
I'm ready to try again as I don't care for AVG.

Computer techs here tell me,  "Well, avast just doesn't run on some systems".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:55:33 PM by jwall »

ady4um

Re: 100% CPU
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
Although I don't know the answer to "what can cause 100% CPU usage when scanning", I have a different perspective on such issues.

First, if there are other processes using much CPU cycles simultaneously, then running a scan is yet another process in need, so there is always such possibility of 100% CPU usage.

But anyway, if there is any percentage of CPU not being used (free), and I run "something" (a scan in this case) that has the potential to take advantage of "free" CPU cycles, I indeed would want this process to use all the CPU it can.

If I already have 100% CPU usage, then it is a matter of priority. Which process, of all those active, I want it would take more advantage of CPU resources.

For those using more than 1 core, it would be very good news if all cores could be used simultaneously *every time*. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and some processes take more time than they could if they were able to really take advantage of all the available resources.

So, although there is a possibility that indeed your CPU usage is "too high" beyond the "normal expected" usage, it is also possible that the processes running are actually taking advantage of all the resources they can, hence working as fast as they can.

This is only my point of view, and, as I said, there is still a possibility of this high CPU usage being a real issue to take care of.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
Computer techs where/who ?

Whilst that may well be true in limited cases as there really is no way to test for every system permutation, hardware/software(?).

The CPU would jump on initiating a manual scan A) depends on the scan, B) the areas selected to be scanned, C) the settings of the scan and D) what else you are running in the background.

To start with there is a degree of initialising, were it is being determined exactly what is to be scanned and this is likely to be CPU intensive I have never seen my CPU get up to 100%. But it should soon drop back so it doesn't impede the system, unless you have changed the scan priority.

Well that isn't entirely correct as I'm not really watching this like a hawk, I would only check it if the initiation of the scan impacted on my use of the system, which I haven't seen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jwall

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Computer techs here in my locality.

I know it will go 100% initially, but it stays there for probably ten minutes, then will start scanning and very low (normalcpu).

Even without starting a scan, normal computer use and resident shield, it will sometimes go 100% and the computer locks up, mouse freeze and so on.

Nothing else running in background.
Thanks for the info.  I'll be giving it another try in a few days.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
Make sure you fully remove AVG before reinstalling avast and it would also probably be best to run the avast uninstall utility (for the old installation) before reinstalling 6.0.203.

- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1203 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).

- Ensure that all remnants of AVG are gone - AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

Once you have all the tools downloaded and saved:
  • 1. Uninstall AVG using add remove programs, reboot and run their AVG Remover tool, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest avast! version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kochin

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
Computer techs here in my locality.

I know it will go 100% initially, but it stays there for probably ten minutes, then will start scanning and very low (normalcpu).

Even without starting a scan, normal computer use and resident shield, it will sometimes go 100% and the computer locks up, mouse freeze and so on.

Nothing else running in background.
Thanks for the info.  I'll be giving it another try in a few days.

Open the Task Manager, you can check the CPU and memory usage and network as well. For 100% CPU usage, may be one or more process(es) taking too much CPU cycles such that cause your computer looks freezed, you can goto second tab (process running), you can view which process(es) taking high CPU cycle. In normal case, only  "System Idle Process" take the most CPU cycles, so that the kernel can handle IO devices normally.

jwall

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
I know it was avastsvc that was 100%
It wasn't steady though, it was kind of weird as some of the processes numbers were changing.

Thanks, DavidR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:07 AM »
You'r welcome.

Hopefully a clean install all-round will resolve this.

jwall

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Yes, me too. 
I know I've tried a clean install before with no results.  The only difference being, I didn't do an avast 5 remove with the removal program.

This time, I'll be sure to have avast on default settings.

Also, I should mention, this problem only occurs with my desktop.  The laptop has no problems.
Also, the last time I did a clean install, during setup, when avast does a 'quick scan', it was fine.  The problem occurs after avast is finished installing and I run a scan, either quick or regular, from the GUI.

This is really strange and driving me crazy.
I remember reading a post about a similar problem a user was having and there was talk about file unpacking or something?  It was some process popping in and out, similar to what I experienced.  The user did not want to go back to the default settings.  That's really the only thing I can think of out of the ordinary for me.

Thanks again for your help and attention to this.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:56:33 PM »
@jwall,

Although DavidR already mentioned something about it, I want to mention it again.

Did you run the Uninstall tool for your PREVIOUS security tools?

Even when you already uninstalled them using Windows control panel, it might be advisable to run the Uninstall tools under Windows Safe Mode.

Look for AVG's uninstall tool and others at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Running the uninstall tools under Windows Safe Mode might give you a better "cleaning" results.

In addition, in Avast main GUI -> Settings -> "Troubleshooting", you may try for example "Load avast! services only after loading other system services" or some other option. Just a thought.

jwall

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Previous programs are the obvious suspects, but I'm pretty sure every thing is gone, unless there is a 'tool' to find any remnants.

bobo1

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Have you done any runs with any antispyware programs?
100 cpu usage can be caused by spyware running in the background or lack of ram memory. Is hard drive running in DMA MODE?
Your system is fine with the amount of ram is installed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:49:33 PM by bobo1 »

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Previous programs are the obvious suspects, but I'm pretty sure every thing is gone, unless there is a 'tool' to find any remnants.
If I understood correctly, you used to have AVG? Look at the link I posted for the specific uninstall tools for AVG (made/produced/published by AVG and recently updated). Run it under Windows Safe Mode.

jwall

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »
I've done as everyone suggested, but no go.  Short of reformatting the HD, which I'm not willing to do just to make avast work, I'm moving on.
It's just odd that other AVs work.

I'll keep looking in to see if anything is new.

Thanks all for the suggestions, etc.