Author Topic: Web shield stopped and won't turn back on (free version)  (Read 9360 times)

n01clueless

Web shield stopped and won't turn back on (free version)
« on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
Avast has been working fine for 3 weeks but now the web shield service has stopped and none of the buttons (fix now, turn on) will turn it back on.

Urgent help appreciated.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Web shield stopped and won't turn back on (free version)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:15:44 AM »
Repair avast:
1. Control Panel - Add/Remove programs - avast!
2. Scroll down and click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

n01clueless

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »
Thanks. I was just about to do what you said and it corrected itself.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
Thanks. I was just about to do what you said and it corrected itself.

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

n01clueless

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
I've just logged on again and I've still got the problem with no web shield and in Vista there's no option to repair.

This really is very bad. Back to MSE I guess.

PS - the problem has just rectified itself again after about 15 minutes with no web shield
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:07:53 PM by n01clueless »

DonZ63

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
I really wish someone from Avast would notice a trend here. Auto updating issues, repair issues, shields being turned off and on, etc. I would say there is a problem with 6.1203 release.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:35:03 PM by DonZ63 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »
I really wish someone from Avast would notice a trend here. Auto updating issues, repair issues, shields being turned off and on, etc. I would say there is a problem with 6.1203 release.
And I really wish people would stop thinking that a few problems posted here equates to a "trend".  I would say there are as many problems with 6.1203 as there were with any previous releases.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
I can only say that A) n01clueless has left the building and gone to avira, good luck and B) just check the other posts and problems that n01clueless has.

@ DonZ63
I too see a trend, but it isn't about the web shield but an overall problem with the installation, since there was no auto-updating involved here.

I just wonder on the selection of his user name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

n01clueless

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
I can only say that A) n01clueless has left the building and gone to avira, good luck and B) just check the other posts and problems that n01clueless has.

@ DonZ63
I too see a trend, but it isn't about the web shield but an overall problem with the installation, since there was no auto-updating involved here.

I just wonder on the selection of his user name.

I, too, have noticed a trend in your posts, a lack of constructive help but plenty of personal comment regarding those who dare to criticize Avast. Regarding clueless, I also note you deleted your response to one of my threads yesterday when you completely misunderstood what was a rather elementary point I was making. There are many helpful contributors to this forum, but you aren't one of them.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
@n01clueless,

Is there *any* possibility that the problems you are experiencing are not related to Avast specifically, but rather some other software, or to Windows itself?

Just to give you a general example (that may or may not be your case), if some program is not listed in your Add/Remove Programs control panel, or if not all the functions there are clearly available, it is not necessarily a problem in the specific program. While it could be, it can also be a Windows-related problem.

If you are/were having problems with other security tools too, then it may well be a problem not related to the specific tool.

Just a thought.

About having to uninstall and reinstall Avast, it is not a standard operation, but when very strange problems arises, then it is usually a good idea (in computer matters) to start anew. It may not be a solution, but it is usually a good workaround.

Good luck to you, with whichever AV you choose.

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
There are many helpful contributors to this forum, but you aren't one of them.
:o
Right.....Avast! is a POS, DavidR is no help to anyone, politicians are honest, water is dry. ::)

Now leave.  Back under the umrella with you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
There are many helpful contributors to this forum, but you aren't one of them.

You're plainly wrong.
Dave is a very helpful contributor.

n01clueless

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
@n01clueless,
Is there *any* possibility that the problems you are experiencing are not related to Avast specifically, but rather some other software, or to Windows itself?

Thanks for the help. I can't think what else could be causing the problem. Avast worked fine for 3 weeks. The problems only started today. I'm always very careful to ensure old A/Vs are completely removed. I've tried 2 clean installs of Avast today but the same problems remain. I do note that others have posted about similar problems, though, so possibly there are more issues with the current version than usual.