Author Topic: Avast free - even worse than AVG  (Read 11393 times)

n01clueless

Avast free - even worse than AVG
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
...and I didn't think that would be possible. Web shield service is stopped and no amount of clicking on the turn on or fix it buttons, or shouting, will activate it. Bradman would appear to have a similar, but worse, problem aswell.

And it shouldn't be necessary to uninstall, download again and install to rectify this. Absolute sh1t!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast free - even worse than AVG
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
did you try avast repair and reboot  ???

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

also very important that you have removed any previous used AV before installig avast!
also recomended to run a removal tool to clear all leftovers after uninstall

Uninstallers for Security Software - run and reboot
http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:55:35 PM by Pondus »

Sparxx

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
...and I didn't think that would be possible. Web shield service is stopped and no amount of clicking on the turn on or fix it buttons, or shouting, will activate it. Bradman would appear to have a similar, but worse, problem aswell.

And it shouldn't be necessary to uninstall, download again and install to rectify this. Absolute sh1t!

If you previously had AVG installed and you unninstalled it via Windows Add/Remove programs then you should unninstall it via AVG unninstall tool, form AVG's website.

If you already did that then a repair should help (if you don't have anything that could interfere with avast).

n01clueless

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. The box with change, repair etc hadn't been appearing, but now has.

n01clueless

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »
No, it's still a big pile of sh1t. I repaired, and rebooted because of some Windows updates, and now web shield is still not working but it also says Avast isn't up to date. What do you reckon? For me this is an unacceptable amount of hassle.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
No, it's still a big pile of sh1t. I repaired, and rebooted because of some Windows updates, and now web shield is still not working but it also says Avast isn't up to date. What do you reckon? For me this is an unacceptable amount of hassle.

You can re-install Avast AV program with aswclear.exe. ;) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Don,t forget to remove your previous AV program. http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/

n01clueless

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
Thanks for the help J, really appreciated, but as I said before, you shouldn't have to go through all this. Is Avast often like this because if it is then in my opinion it's just not good enough?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
For most people they don't have to go through any hassle, but one of the biggest hassles to installation of avast is either having another AV installed or remnants of the previous AV.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

n01clueless

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
What a load of crap Avast is. I did exactly as J explained, and did a clean install of Avast, and I have exactly the same problems of no web shield and not up to date. And no, I don't have any remnants of old A/Vs.

Reluctantly, it's back to Avira for me >:( :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
Good luck.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
I would go to AVG before Avira, it is cow dung 8)
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
meaby solved now but what Microsoft update did you install before avast web shield stop to work?

as menaced before a clean installation is the best option here to solve your problem.

but if you have gone to Avira just say good luck and sorry avast didn't work for you.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
n01clueless,

I'm sorry avast! didn't work out for you.

My second choice of an antivirus is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

I hope MSE will meet your needs. :)

Have a good day.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
What a load of crap Avast is. I did exactly as J explained, and did a clean install of Avast, and I have exactly the same problems of no web shield and not up to date. And no, I don't have any remnants of old A/Vs.

Reluctantly, it's back to Avira for me >:( :(

I would rather have you be a little more rational. To get avast to work properly does not take a brain surgeon. Get rid of any and all previous anti-virus you have ever had. Then use CCleaner...install avast. If over 168 million other people can, I'm sure you can too.

As far as going to a different a/v, you will lose out on protection. But it's your computer which will be infected, not mine.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Sparxx

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
I would rather have you be a little more rational. To get avast to work properly does not take a brain surgeon. Get rid of any and all previous anti-virus you have ever had. Then use CCleaner...install avast. If over 168 million other people can, I'm sure you can too.

As far as going to a different a/v, you will lose out on protection. But it's your computer which will be infected, not mine.  :)

Let him go Para, if he thinks it's avast's fault then let him go, we've seen persons like this already, it's not the first and not the last.